Timber Supports whilst Mining

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Afterscore, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Afterscore

Afterscore Weight of the Sky

This could work, however it would be adding a new game mechanic halfway through the game and hoping everyone gets used to it. Granted, there could very easily be some sort of tutorial mission etc so forth to teach you about it, but even then it may be received negatively by many players.

The problem with a suggestion like this is that it really only appeals to a niche instead of the entire user base. That said, I still support it ^^

Starheaven07 likes this.
  2. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

Unfortunately I think this is "Too much realism". I agree it sounds like a cool idea, and the multiple things you could do with it (The different types of support, etc..) but it is just a lot of work for such a very small thing, you would have to check for supports.. how many supports does it take per area.. and on.

I am not saying its a bad idea, but there are a lot of details that would have to be answered, and each would add more things you would have to check to implement it. Sure this might be eventually implementable but there are so very many other things that need to be considered before... "Cave Support Structure".

Of course this is just my opinion, but I just don't think it is important, or adds enough playability to be added to a real game such as the one Starbound is looking to be. It sounds like a better idea then it would actually be if implemented.

Starheaven07 likes this.
  3. Afterscore

Understandable. I don't think I can really justify this being a Dev top priority or anything - However as I said in the OP, a suggestion is a suggestion and I'd rather get more ideas out than to keep them to myself ^^

Doesn't that sound like most suggestions, though?

Starheaven07 likes this.
  4. TheRev

Oh I understand it is an opinion I am just being devils advocate to say why it wouldn't be practical to put such a system into place. I am not saying don't share. Also I could be wrong, maybe this system of cave ins/ Structures could be something others like.

Unfortunately that is very true, I am sorry but everyone has ideas.. heck even I have ideas. But what is wrong about taking that idea, sitting on it a while, and write more details then.. hey wouldn't this be cool. I don't mean to pick on your suggestion above others or anything like that. I actually think it is more detailed then a lot, so that is good thing, and to be truthful it is difficult to be really detailed at this point (As there is not a lot of information out there it would just be guessing)

The problem is in the second importance factor of things that have a chance of actually be usable, it has to give the game something that is either supper easy to implement (Kinda a side-effect function, like using the water flowing dynamic to make lava flow), or something very useful (like ships in a space game). It is kinda hard (lack of information like I said before) to come up with a side-effect function yet, so the reason why I said what I did is because it doesn't follow the very useful rule.

Lastly.. Almost done.. if your still reading this your doing good.. heh. Punishments are meant to give challenge. And I kinda see where your coming from on this, but to put in a punishment system (Collapsing tunnels) just so you can use your structures is not a good idea. Not to mention with everything else that diggers have to go through, another system on top of that might be too much in the name of "Realism".

If more would take this to mind maybe there would be less suggestions.. I am sure there would be, but the suggestions made would be "Better". Or.. maybe not heh.. But be insightful, and just try to understand not every idea is a good one, and even out of all those good ones, there are very good reasons why some of those just are not used.

5. Afterscore

Well, that was certainly a long winded way of saying you dislike my suggestion ^^

It's to be expected really, not everyone enjoys the things I enjoy and I don't assume they should either. This topic has garnered several positive replies so it's not just a solo army advocating for it's potential.

Secondly, the implication that you suggest I am asking the Developers to add a:

is a little condescending, frankly. Natural Disasters have already been talked about extensively as a part of the game with the latest big reveal being Black Holes. While earthquakes may not be on the same par as black holes, they still both belong in the same category and as long as the Developers are including one type of disaster, what's to stop them from adding more?

Overall, I can stand and say that everyone is entitled to their opinion - However to go as far as to say:

is as good as saying "This will not be implemented into the release of the game, it's a terrible suggestion and you should feel bad".

While I asked for critique and even anticipated negative comments, I didn't expect someone to so harshly disregard something that has already received many positive comments and further suggestions as nothing more than a cheaply worded and effortless 5 word post.

6. TheRev

I do like to explain why things are not a good idea, not just say your "idea is stupid" and leave it at that. (Note: I am not calling your idea stupid..).

I had hoped I shown why your idea would not work, other then saying like or dislike. It doesn't matter if I like it, it doesn't matter if 100 people liked it. We are talking about a lot more then 100 people who are going to play this game, and if a small bunch of people like it then that would be a good Mod, not a good game mechanic. If you plan on modifying the game (If it has that option.. which I hope it does) I would easily suggest making this for yourself and your friends.

Wow that's a little condescending? Well if my "Tone of Text" was condescending I apologize (Note: That was condescending heh)

But seriously I just meant it as a key points, of some reasons why your system would not work, not to be condescending. I stand by those points, and I see that you have not given me a reason why any of them are wrong? But to the point of Earthquakes are in the same category as black holes.

Well.. no. Space, and Planets are usually two different "Systems" (Note: I have no idea how they have it setup.. but I can only go with how other games have made them). Lets say a planet is an object.. that object is in space. Now, that object would have a list of a "Map" that has all the tiles inside of it, and what they currently are. (This is usually generated with a map generator.. prob randomly with some kind of factors so what they want to appear does so). A system written for space is very different then one written for a planet. (though true there would be "Some things" they might be able to use again.. but that is just sub-systems not anything specific).

To add Earthquakes would be a whole new set of rules, and to make something that could "Shift" a giant number of Tiles. Think of it this way. You have a line of tiles. You need to "Shift" all those tiles one to the left. then you need them to see if there are tiles below them, and if not drop. Now imagine doing this to 20 tiles.. 30 tiles.. 100 tiles. This can lag the game, and just make a general "Disaster" of its own. Not to mention if anyone had anything built on top, or in those tiles. These are details.. I am going into "More" detail to hopefully show you, its A) Not the same :cool: Not practical to do just for mining supports.

I am going to re quote that line for ya: But be insightful, and just try to understand not every idea is a good one, and even out of all those good ones, there are very good reasons why some of those just are not used.

That you took this from such a single line... That's alright, but maybe did you consider I mentioned good ideas not making it because I thought your idea was not a bad one? Most likely not, but that's alright it is easy to assume the worst when someone hears that.

To be clear You are entitled to your own opinion, I do doubt this will be implemented into the release of the game, and no you shouldn't "Feel Bad", just not assume the worst. (Though if you feel bad over something said over the internet that's not good either.. heh)

I can see you were looking for negative comments, and I apologize for not agreeing with you, but I think I have clearly pointed out why it wouldn't work, but if you want 5 words here ya go.. have 6

Good idea, but will never work.

7. Afterscore

See, I would have much preferred this ^^

I can understand why you would want to give your reasons etc etc but ultimately giving ambiguous responses in terms of

can be frustrating, I apologise for getting riled, but thankfully I got your overall opinion in the end n__n And I know I've quoted this same piece twice but it's relevant.

Thank you for your input, it hasn't dampened my spirits but as I've said before, I cannot justify this inclusion to the game as a priority for Devs. Maybe Starbound 1.5?

No hard feelings?

8. TheRev

heh, This I understand, I just look at the points being more important then my opinion on the matter, not to hide my opinion. Besides.. can.. not... short post! :eek: heh

No worries, I seen where you though I was being insulting, I'm glad you seen what I meant. It can be frustrating at times, but hopefully there will be Modding, and that opens so many doors for lots of things.

As well it shouldn't, and who knows. I could be wrong, I am just some dude (I am hoping that is the Male sign in the Avatar) posting his opinions ya know heh. Hard feelings, psh don't even worry, didn't even cross my mind. :p