Tiered Crrafting Stations

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by wowguyepic, Aug 29, 2013.

?

Is this a good idea?

1. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. Yes, but there are other ways to do this.

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. No.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. wowguyepic

wowguyepic Master Chief

I noticed Legris posted that the devs are looking for ways to unlock new crafting recipes. A neat way to do this would be to either:
    1. Create a series of different crafting tables; each can only be crafted from the previous tier.
    2. Make craft-able 'upgrades' to change the appearance of the crafting table and what it you can make with it
    The tiers can match those of the different furniture items and tools that can be made with the tier of crafting table.

2. SuggestionsBot

SuggestionsBot Autonomous Posting Device

Thanks for submitting a new suggestion!

Please remember to give your opinion on this suggestion by voting on our suggestions page.

Twig Arcane Empires likes this.
  3. Clockwork

Clockwork Master Astronaut

Recipes are discoverable.

4. Pseudoboss

Pseudoboss Spaceman Spiff

I wouldn't mind themed crafting tables that can craft similar furniture, so that you don't have a wierd-looking crafting table pumping out levitating furniture, it'd be kinda strange. Weapons might also be themed there, too, as long as your weapons are balanced and don't have any stat differences.

5. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

If it's not already so, recipes found should be based on the loacation, as in hard area= good recipe. So, Yes, but there are other ways to do it.

6. Twig Arcane Empires

Twig Arcane Empires Sandwich Man

P.s, what is crrafting? cRRafting.

7. Metalsand

Metalsand Industrial Terraformer

I would love this idea if it fit into the universe perfectly. For instance, you start out with a crafting bench which is a simple wooden desk with some tools. You upgrade that, and it turns into a desk with a metal cover, and with some better tools. Upgrade from that, and it turns into a longer desk completely made out of metal, with various tools such as welding tools, clamps, grinders, etc. Upgrading from that makes it two blocks taller, and comes with a small crane to "hoist" various items (which would look cool in-game but is unnecessary). Another upgrade would reduce the height by a block and replace the crane with glowing panels that would essentially levitate the item instead of hoisting it. The final upgrade could reduce the height and width by one, and look like a small but complex desk, with many panels that open up and tools on arms come out when you go into it's menu.

That would be really cool, and also make sense. How the hell are you going to make a laser gun using an iron hammer? Would you WILL the complex electronic components into existence? lol

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  8. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I liked how in Kingdom Hearts II you would unlock crafting recipes by crafting easier items first. After you completed enough of these easier items you would unlock the new ones. This was basically explained by saying that you gained "experience" by crafting easier items so that you could "level up", but it really wasn't anything like an RPG's experience system. You had to craft different items, so crafting the same item multiple times did not help you.

I'd also like to find recipes in abandoned books and computers in dungeons, or purchasing them from village NPCs.

I don't mind the idea of upgrades and new crafting stations as long as they aren't just the same object made out of a higher tier material, like the new Anvils and Forges in Terraria. The Adamantite Forge and Mythril Anvil just felt really arbitrary and weren't very creative.

9. HaninNajah

HaninNajah Space Hobo

Thank you for giving a valuable suggestions.