1. Thanks for visiting! These forums are for the original Risk of Rain, if you're interested in discussing the newly released Risk of Rain 2 head over to that game's steam discussion forum
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on Closed Beta

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bluerooste42, May 9, 2013.

1. Bluerooste42

Bluerooste42 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, since the Closed Beta is out (for some people at least, seems to be that some others are having problems), any thoughts or first impressions on it?

First thing I noticed was the text change. I dislike it, but I guess I'll get used to it.
    Also, the Bandit is locked. Anybody manage to unlock him and care to share how?

Lastly, I think the enemies feel a bit weaker than before, although that may be because I was playing Alpha, where the Commando's Z only did 100% instead of 2x70%/140%.

• gangwarily

gangwarily Astral Cartographer

PM me if you want to know how to unlock the Bandit. I don't want to ruin it for people who don't want to know.

• Regulith

Regulith Void-Bound Voyager

I was pleasantly surprised to see a new class come up, I don't think HAN-D was mentioned at all. The concept of his (?) attacks are pretty awesome, definitely a character I'll be practicing with.

Has the character you last played as always appeared on the main menu? I pretty much only played as Commando before so I never really noticed.

• Bluerooste42

Yeah, the last one you select is on the main menu, even if you didn't play it.

• Mobon1

Mobon1 Orbital Explorer

I agree that the new font is kinda lame.

I think it looked a lot more slick and stylized before. Also I really think independent health bars for each player in Coop is a must. Having to rely on that little health bar above your head doesn't give you (imo) a realistic feel of what your health is actually at.

• Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

May somebody make a post with spoiler, that shows what's new? I don't have beta access and I wanted to know some new informations

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

I agree, even though I think the new font also has its charms.

Indeed. Especially when you get Items like Guardian Heart or Infusion it becomes hard to see what's going on. Guardian Heart should colour the healthbar above your head blue, if that's the concept that the devs are going to stick with. Infusion seems to increase the length of your healthbar as you get more and more health, but that's not really indicative of what you really have.

Okeydokies:

• New items with great effects, like one that can freeze time for 10s, also freezing time on the increasing Difficulty metre, and one that can summon the ghosts of former enemies to fight alongside you.
                • Local co-op with up to 4 players, which is a lot of fun.
                • A new character, who is a robot called Han-D, and is amazing. I instantly fell in love with his wicked melee damage and crowd-defeating combat ability. You can stand in a mosh pit, take quite a beating and deal a big ton of damage yourself before doing the classic hit-'n'-run you'll almost always resort to.
                • Something called the Monster Log, which leaves a nice little message about some character that comes across these monsters he encounters and tells the story of his findings when dealing with them. It contains lovely artwork too, some of which has been previously showcased by the devs on I believe their tumblr page.
                • A new stage.
                • More bosses.
                • Balancing gameplay, increasingly hard enemies as you progress through the levels.
                • A slotmachine-type device that gives you a rollthrough of Items when you activate it and commands you to 'PICK ONE' - at which point you can quickly select the one Item you really want as you see it rolling by.
                • Basically: more fun! ;)

Salem_1337 likes this.
                • Salem_1337

Salem_1337 Subatomic Cosmonaut

As there are spoilers, I must reply with spoiler:

What abilities does Han-D have?

• Bluerooste42

[​IMG]

Salem_1337 likes this.
                    • joey4track

joey4track Ketchup Robot

I wonder if all chars on the end of the rows will take up two seats? And I love the slot item thing but I can never catch the item I want, I'm so bad at it.

• Shrooblord

Shrooblord Void-Bound Voyager

The rest of the image is purely placeholder - maybe they'll invent a character that takes up a whole three seats and edit the graphic accordingly. ;)

• KenboCalrissian

KenboCalrissian Master Chief

Pros:
                          -Absolutely loving the direction this game is taking. It's surprisingly well polished for these early stages, and I just can't put it down!
                          -New stage, new classes, new items, new bosses - i.e. new stuff to discover!

Cons:
                          -Sometimes the level placement gets really annoying. Specifically, the upper-central(ish) platform in Deep Forest (that you have to walk all the way off to the right to escape), the bottom-left mushroom grove, the chains on both sides of the tundra, and the far-right magma chain platforms. Generally, any area where I can go down but can't easily go back, it breaks the pacing for me. I'd like to see a little more freedom of movement.

• Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

The Unstable Watch (time stop) is actually in the Demo...