1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Wallpaper of the Marchtimes (By Bietol)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Darthkitten, Mar 15, 2013.

?

To Quote Fetalstar: What race is your favorite?

1. Avian

38 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Glitch

78 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Human

63 vote(s)
    16.9%
  4. Floran

86 vote(s)
    23.1%
  5. Hylotl

66 vote(s)
    17.7%
  6. Apex

42 vote(s)
    11.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Had posted this in the duplicate topic, as I had missed this one:

Yeah, I had seen this earlier today through one of the contributors' twitter.

To comment on the picture, I have to say that I find it quite nice. There's a Japanese-style vibe in there which I'm not a fan of, especially in the Humans, but, overall, all races together combined with the background make it good looking. The portrayal of the Hylotl is probably my favourite in that image. Very menacing looking. :p

Freddy67h likes this.
  2. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Male apex reminds me of Scar from FMA.

Female apex is really pretty.

But I would marry that female hylotl. (And then have an affair with the female floran, with that female glitch as a pet)

3. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

About the first part, sorry about that.

About everything else, I agree with you completely.

I just like the way the Apex are portrayed the best personally. They seem like the ones to best get the job done.

HedgeFlanders and Keeper like this.
  4. Both Glitch and Florans are genderless. #AnnoyingSmartAlec

HedgeFlanders likes this.
  5. You two, Sokina and Admiral, are both right about the Apex. I never thought someone would be able to conceive a good looking female monkey-type creature. :p

HedgeFlanders and Bietol like this.
  6. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

I could take over the world in an Apex body like that.

7. Tojo

Tojo Existential Complex

Ahh those Glitch workers look amazing as well as the Hylots. I cant believe a few months we were arguing over which race was going to come in next

8. It's understandable that a number of people will not like the anime influence, but thanks for saying it's cool in spite of that! It means a lot.

9. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

SO.MUCH.AWSOME!

10. Redheat

Redheat Scruffy Nerf-Herder

hylotl.JPG

"Bro do you even Hylotl?"

I love this one! Also, I'm really enjoying this anime-ish style.

11. Meh. Could be worse.
    You could have made them all scantily clad underage girls.

12. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

As Avians fan - I don't like how they look! :whaaat:

But rest of them (especially Glitch and Apex) look fantastic! :up:

13. Also, thanks dudes for your support and feedback. This was a fun exercise and a challenge as well.

Art Notes:
    • Avians and Hylotls here are not drawn with human facial structures (shape of head, positioning of eyes/mouth).
      • I wanted to explore more alien/animal personalities in contrast to the sprites, where I believe the underlying "human skull" is done for production to ensure head-wear is compatible across species.
      • Male Avian is inspired by Birds With Arms.
      • Male Hylotl's face is inspired by an orca.
      • Female Hylotl's face is modeled a bit more after a fox, which is not a sea creature. I don't know why I did this other than it looked cuter, I guess.
    • I skewed the Apex more towards "beast-man" than "neanderthal," for the intent of trying to bring out a little more intelligence and wildness in their face.
      • This is almost the opposite direction I took the Avians and Hylotls - I made their eyes larger and their features a little more human.
      • They are still distinguishable from the humans by their black shiny eyes, and their mouths are set lower on their faces.
        • Oh, and huge ears and body hair.
    • It's a little hard to see since she's obscured, but female Glitch is a robot maid-chan alskdjfhlsakhjsd
    • I drew this picture imagining each race was looking out to the stars with a purpose in mind.
      • Florans are totally driven by curiosity about what everybody else tastes like.

14. Dzelda

Dzelda Parsec Taste Tester

The big brown one kinda reminds me of Kaepora Gaebora. Lord help me if he thinks I need a speech about going out into the world. Multiple times....

*shotgun*

15. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I love it. :megusta: The races are shown in a whole new light.

HedgeFlanders and Garneac like this.
  16. janovick

janovick Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Just admit: Apex is the most hot and classy of all races!

[​IMG]

17. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I definitely like that the Avians and Hylotls were drawn without human face structures.

HedgeFlanders and Garneac like this.
  18. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

Am I the only one who thinks that male Hylotl looks almost like a whale?

19. Kalico

Kalico Guest

The way the Hylotl are drawn is probably one of my favorite representations of them so far :D

20. Matanui3

Matanui3 Phantasmal Quasar

You mean... like humans? :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.