The Thread of Randomness

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stryder87, Jul 20, 2017.

1. BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

Penny's got the kids out kind of late.
    OutLate.jpg

• Dark_Yehn

Dark_Yehn Void-Bound Voyager

"Bottle's on the counter Harvey, I'll get the radio."

Click. With heavy pollen forecast and light breezes, a very slight chance of pixies over night so fingers crossed everyone. Another anonymous letter to finish with this week. Remember the one some time ago, that change from glamour's and fishing. But this was postmarked Calico, and it reads like our friend is on the way again, or had fun last time. Thanks for letting us know, all welcome.

Bus stop at Nine exact. no Pam. Minecart ride for Dwarves Supplies. Ancient fruit and chili’s waiting in greenhouse, rest in workshop. Depart at Ten exact. Chest in desert available. Spicy eel, strange bun for drops. Few Cherry, more Bombs.

Coffee, pumpkin. Enter ten twenty five.

Undead, cherry, shaft, three floors.

Bomb, stairs, loot chests and slimes. IR mod drop floor two!

Tuant undead to gem node, cherry to reveal stairs.

Twelve ten. Floor eight. Skipped loot one floor, stair close. Other, two slimes, second drop stair. Less archiving until big.

Five Twenty. Floor twenty seven. Shaft in. Six undead - one bomb, sweetness. Inv. check and trashing. Gold cheese gave 96 health!?!. Savage ring: excellent. Band: As Always.

Eight Ten. Floor thirty three. pumpkin, coffee refresh.

One Zero. Floor fifty six. No stair. Return ready. eight omni, eight IR. twenty three solar, nine void, all gems and minerals. Conclusion Too much fun, Not enough floors.

One Fifty. Recharge chest in desert: more cherry, less bombs, less back blast, less time food: More stone. Less loot taunts more stairs. In bed with poppers and coffee.

I know that temptation, after all that's why we are there listeners. An belly full of stone will certainly help, maybe spend half of it? no questions, no peaking, just do it! Yes, the crafting screen and a tapathon, but its to the base isn’t it! Spend it all! Then start digging! But that's just an old defender talking. And coming up, after the news a new sho

Click. Slurp.
      "That’ll leave a bruise, hey Harvey?"
      "Uh-hu, cover my nose, yep, got it."

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Lorekeeper of Wyverns Void-Bound Voyager

You know, I have to ask. This probably seems like a really strange question to ask here, but it's not really new-topic-worthy, so here seems like my best bet. When I was in my first year of playing, I got a request on the bulletin board to slay a couple of Squid Kids. I have to ask, what even are they? I'm not really up to speed on the official names of the enemies, and it's been bugging me since I saw it (for reasons). Never thought to ask until now.

On another note, how doable is a file where I just do nothing but fishing and/or mining? I love fishing in video games, and I enjoy mining in Stardew, so I was considering doing a run where that was all I did. Don't have to necessarily be making millions in a day, but would I be able to survive?

• MouseyPounds

MouseyPounds Cosmic Narwhal

Squid Kids are the floating heads that shoot fireballs. I have no idea how you'd guess that without the wiki though.

A lot of min/max guides put a heavy focus on fishing for the first month, so I expect that is entirely doable if you have reasonable goals for the playthrough. The main disadvantage is that it doesn't scale terribly well -- a couple thousand g per day is great in year 1, but when saving up for a return scepter or end-game buildings it may be quite a grind. Mining seems like it would be significantly harder, but I suppose if you let yourself forage enough to build lightning rods and then use the batteries to make Crystalariums it'll work out ok.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

You know, I think I really like vanilla. :geek:

• Lorekeeper of Wyverns

All right, thanks! Nor do I, really. When I think 'Squid Kid', 'floating fire-breathing head' is not what comes to mind. At the time, I was wondering if there was some weird squiddy-human monster down there that I'd somehow missed. I'm sure CA has his reasons behind it. But that's good to know, thank you! Truthfully, I kind of forgot the Wiki existed.

Thanks! I figured I'd at least let myself forage. I don't really tend to sell what I get through foraging anyway, so either way, it wouldn't affect my income. Might try that whenever I get some time free.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

Chocolate is SO much better! And no, strawberry is NOT better than chocolate! Oh wait, we aren't talking ice cream?

Jokes aside, I have a few very minor mods, but outside of easier fishing I don't change things. A few portrait mods, change the cat into junimo, a mod to where I know if I've watered the spot and that's it. I don't change anything major (meaning no SMAPI) just a few minor things!

Erick648 likes this.
                • Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Agreed. Maybe because I play on Switch so I can't mod, but I always enjoy playing the vanilla game, and don't really have an interest in modding.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

Actually, I was talking pudding, but whatever.... haha

I just had another SDV vs real life moment this morning when I was doing groceries. I was walking by the produce section and saw the cauliflower and immediately thought about how many days it would take to plant my own and how much I could save compared to buying it in the store.

Ah... I love those moments! :DD

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2018
                      BentFX likes this.
                    • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

That's all right, I made Cheese Cauliflower a few weeks ago and thought, 'Hey, Maru would love this!'

Stryder87 likes this.
                      • Lorekeeper of Wyverns

Can't say I've had a lot of them myself, but they do sound quite fun to think about. The most I've gotten is nicknaming one of my hoodies the 'Seb hoodie' because it looks basically exactly like Sebastian's. Maybe a few details are different, but pretty similar.

I think I'm overdue for a moment like that. I mean, Stardew's my favourite game, I should be thinking about it so much more!

• Hakuna Matata

Hakuna Matata Big Damn Hero

How exactly is recovering enery by standing in bed supposed to work?
                          I stood a step before it asks to go to bed and nothing...
                          I stood there after selecting I don't wanna go to sleep...
                          Been there like half an in game hour and nothing... Bug?

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know what's up with that. It doesn't seem to work in the latest version of the beta.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

In single player? Being able to do it was the bug. It was fixed several weeks ago

• Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Here I thought they were just implementing the ability to nap.

KAC and Lilliput like this.
                                • BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

How is it I've been in the game this long and never seen Clint work before?

ClintWork.jpg

Stay in his shop until after his 4:00 pm closing time. He'll just stand behind the counter till 5:00, then move to the forge and work on a sword until 7:00, when he goes to the saloon.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

You know...I always assumed that when it was closing time they kicked you out if you happened to be in the store at closing. This tells me that's not true? Wonder if it's tied to friendship level? Maybe if you are hanging around the store after closing Caroline invites you for dinner (since you are there) and Abby mentions all these grand adventures she has planned and tells the farmer "you know, I'm so grateful you understand the adventurous spirit!"

Maybe I've considered that off and on?

• Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not aware that they ever kick you out. Just to test it, I stayed at the blacksmith until late in the night: Clint went to the saloon, came back, and went to bed, all without telling me to leave.

I did learn that even though the doors lock at 4, you can shop until 5.

BentFX likes this.
                                      • plattym3

plattym3 Aquatic Astronaut

Doesn't Jodi hate getting fish as gifts? I think so and it made this scene funny to me.

• Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

She dislikes fish, like most people, but loves crispy bass.