1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The slowly dying sandbox

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LilyV3, Jul 28, 2016.

1. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

no the old system did not had high ores on easy planets you had go to the right tier of plent to aquire high ores. But you could do tat on whatever planet you like, grassland, arid, voclanic, magma, desert ... now you have to do it on specific biomes and that gtes boring extremely fast. The deserts were just due to the easy minign ability too eay and should have reduced ore amounts.

There was therefore no chance in the old not to go for the danegrous planets to get the ores. but today some extended hunts for specific ores bores out extremely due to the way hwo biomes are bound to the ores. Or the ores to the biomes.
    Also, i don't know in which ones mind was snow on a magma planet a good randomess. That must be a very unimmersives players mind with no ense for lore to like snow on na antire planet thats mostly is composed of liquid stone. there were things no "right" that not even the fantasy genre woudl touch with a 1 foot pole for the reason of being too mad to hosue a proper explanation.
    And even today the issue with the "depth" still stands because plantes have nothign deep in there thatw ants you to go down there. The only deep hidden thign is diamond, but you can get that even on lush planets. A well done sandbox survival game has a good risk reward system. SB is still alckign this. They just killed a laod variety making the shallow sanbox now look even more boring.

make undergound biomes smaller to be more special, not entire planet wide spanning slime biomes,. because that does totally kill the exploration value since within these biomes the variety is also very small and this makes them just huge biomes of monotony. Less and smaller special biomes, more rewarding the much deeper you get the more rewarding the higher a planets threat is. Thats a simple thing to do and encourages people to go there. Now I can meet a slime biome undergorund on all planets, and all the reward is just the same opponents on them all and the same rewards as on the surface. Only the planets threat does somewhat scale damage and loot. but neither depth or afford to rech them are scaled into this. and thats why people bore out quick with the game there is not really much to explore that is thrilling or worth to be found. It was an issue back then and is still an issue now, with the esception of eign visally now even less varied.

Ontop I think every planet now has at leats 2 specials like villages and such, that ontop is just too much repeatable monotony.

Pingeh and Shooting Star like this.
  2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You keep saying that its simple, but you honestly have no idea. What I do know from some of the devs posts on the process, is that that is not how their planet generation works, nor would it be beneficial to exploration, as then people would know where valuable items are on any planet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
    Ainzoal likes this.
  3. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have started to think the devs shot themselves in the foot with the matter manipulator. Terraria has a vast abundance of different crafting materials, but even with ores alone the crafting progression tends to mostly arrange itself there.

4. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

I think that's a weird idea. Minecraft-ish pickaxes being better than a high tech manipulator was just gross. Ores are boring, repairing tools is boring. This is not original and everybody would be like "Starbound has ores and it's just like minecraft and terraria no originality blablah". Also the manipulator is quite convenient and classy imo. Definitely a thing i like in this game.

Aurakiel likes this.
  5. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

The dirt thing was adressed in the latest update >_>

6. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes it would because you knoe where yet ahve to take effort.

now you also know where and its 0 reward to do any effort.

atm 0 exploration is needed. and there is not even anythign tos ee. i just went down the effort to make a shaft down a magma planet and surprise its inner is as most lush planets, the stones the dirt, a cell and a slime biome.

in fact at soem poitn CF said they want to make depth exloring more rewarding yet there is nothign special and for soem reason EVERY planet has

[​IMG]

and this structure repeats over and over again. on every planet no matter what threat no matter what biome except barren. But barren was created to give people a peaceful empty sandbox. yet barren failed to be a proper planet for most to be built on because the background and its visuals are horribly boring.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  7. Morimach777

Morimach777 Astral Cartographer

WHAT!? They fixed dirt!? :party:

Aurakiel likes this.
  8. Falx

Falx Void-Bound Voyager

I like this way of looking at it.

There are some mods that help alleviate some of these concerns, and im sure more to come, but it does feel like it is pulling in several directions and not making it far enough in any of them.

Devildomvoyeur and Lintton like this.
  9. Sean Mirrsen

Sean Mirrsen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Who said anything about pickaxes? Would it have been too much like Terraria to introduce mining modules to the MM, that allowed it to process more advanced materials? It needs to be upgraded to store liquids already anyway. But nope, the one and only mining tool can mine anything and everything, the only thing that changes is how fast. Guess what that means? It means you can't put advanced ores on low-level planets anymore, because the player will stock up on them. It means you can't, or don't need to, look for rich veins of a particular rare ore on the planets you explore, and flag down the relevant sites for later revisits. As soon as you find a rare ore, you just grab it, and you have nothing to look forward to except for the grind to yet another crafting station upgrade.

Noir Korrane likes this.
  10. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

That is pretty much everything. It's not efficient at all to spend a lot of time mining things with a non upgraded manipulator, even if you could mine high tier ores on low tier planets it would be a huge waste of time. If you look at minecraft, you find iron and diamond in the first minutes of a new survival but you want to upgrade your enchantments before going for long mining sessions.

11. julamad

julamad Void-Bound Voyager

I always defend Starbound, and I am more than happy with the 1.0, but sadly all you said is true, most probably they erased all the biomes so casuals wouldn't be raging about not finding the biomes to continue the main story, maybe they are hating because they couldn't understand a good game takes time, and because for most of them this was their 1st EA they didn't apreciate the game being updated 1 or 2 times a week, no other EA I have bought did that, some of them even said the progress was slow, omg there was I dude who gave a review about the game being abandoned (seriously don't do drogs kids).

I blame them all, dumb spoiled kids who thought "I saw a call of duty comercial and it was released weeks after, why is this game taking years?" and then became videogame critics on steam knowing nothing about developing, Most of us went inmediatly to give real reviews and fixed that, But I can't stop thinking that afected in how the game was hurried on.

Please congratulate me on not using bad words, it took me a lot of effort.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Devildomvoyeur and Xanirus like this.
  12. evilnancyreagan

evilnancyreagan Pangalactic Porcupine

[​IMG]
    #makeprocgengreatagain

13. de0lsu

de0lsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

After spending over 1,000 hours in Starbound during early access, I can't agree enough about the quest gated content being added. Coming from an MMO background with a lot of World of Warcraft, I'm so sick of quests. If hunger hadn't been re-added, I'd likely never touch this game again, because of how linear unlocking things like Ship Upgrades is. Instead of being on our own, we HAVE to talk to some windbag and take orders to unlock things.

I played for about 2 hours earlier today, mining ore, upgrading my MM, doing the main quests.... and it's just so monotonous.
    Instead of playing Starbound, I'm sitting here trying to decide if I really want to go through the trouble of getting back into modding and making the effort of making these quests skippable. I have so little motivation at the moment.

I do remember a rich and vibrant sandbox, I fixed my ship, left my starting planet, saw much, did many things, made friends, and we went on our adventures among the stars with only the tools we developed and collected in our exploration. We were free.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sharkdog, the greatest companion I've ever had. <3

14. evilnancyreagan

Yes, please, make the "Get On With It" mod that remove the MQL and replaces it with a simple starting dialog that states,

"It's fine, everything is fine. There is no impending doom, the Earth is still out there, somewhere. The only problem is that you forgot to top off your tank and now you are out of gas. Beam down to the planet and see about getting some help." Sandbox ensues.

Hawklaser, BIelak and de0lsu like this.
  15. BIelak

BIelak Void-Bound Voyager

Thats the Starbound we did love :). I don't say it's bad... It's a good game but not the game that iv played some time ago... What about my idea... Let's get this standard sick quest thingy... But after you kill the ruin... Something blow up and show that the map is even bigger than you thinked... And there you have TOTAL RNG that we did have some updates ago :) What you think?

16. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

Just make a mod that brings back the old Starbound you loved.

17. evilnancyreagan

Yeah, if CF make like Mojang and allowed us to download older versions of SB through the launcher, I would be very enamored :)

Those older builds were gonzo!

Devildomvoyeur, CookieEpic and de0lsu like this.
  18. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

I really.. realyl wish I could play the earlier builds. I would, I really would. I'd play them all darn day long...

and test myself into making bases in cold places because that wa really fun to deal with heat and all.

19. Visnomadic

Visnomadic Space Hobo

I'm sure there are temperature mods.

20. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

As of now? There aren't any yet. There was ONE back in January 2015, I think, but none so far as of now. The only saving grace is that FrackinUniverse restores some sort of challenge in that it makes the EPPS all protect against only one thing, But... yeah. Here's to hoping people make temperature mods, and add back a part of the game that shouldn't have been removed in the first place.