The Shipdealer

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by E253MechaShadow, Apr 17, 2015.

1. E253MechaShadow

E253MechaShadow Phantasmal Quasar

I believe that after repairing his ship completely, the player should be able to contact a special trading NPC at the Outpost.
    What would this NPC do? He would sell ships. Ships that could replace your current one. They can be either default ships from other races (from mods as well), or ones with original design. They should also be tiered and upgraded the same way as your starter ship. E.g., if you current ship is Tier 5, you could only by another T5 one and then upgrade it.
    It's more a matter of aesthetics and organising things on a ship, but I still think it would be a nice addition.

toby109tt and Jackson Brown like this.
  2. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

What would happen to anything within the player´s ship?

3. E253MechaShadow

E253MechaShadow Phantasmal Quasar

You may probably get all the things back from the AI as it reboots. All what was in the ship's storage locker will remain there.
    Or they may be automatically packed in a container (or 2 & more) which will appear on your new ship and disappear as you empty it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  4. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

you know the ship have to be 10 time storage locker right? The locker we store in the ship is really big. By I mean big, I mean litary big. I mean we have endless decoations and all the stuff set up on the wall. Not only that we had storage weapons in the ship that storage lots weapons in it, also the shields as well with the collectors items. It may be hard to have these in the storage lockers in one ship you trade it for. Note I seen players have more then me.

5. Jackson Brown

Jackson Brown Astral Cartographer

Maybe instead of replacing, it adds to, like a fleet.
    Go to a teleportation pad and it would say, for example:

Beam Down
    .....current orbited world
    Outpost - Gentle

Beam to Ship (default starter ship, maybe make it nameable as well)

Beam to Human Ship 1 (default name, but preferably new ships are nameable)

Beam to Human Ship 2

Beam to Glitch Ship 1

Beam to Colonist Ship 1 (new ship based on the Outpost and outpost colony biomes)

Beam to Mining Ship 1 (new ship based on the Erchius Mining Facility and abandoned mine biomes)

Beam to Pirate Ship 1 (new ship based on pirate ships)

Beam to Prisoner Transport Ship 1 (new ship based on penile colonies)

Beam to Eye Ship 1 (new ship based on eye biomes)

Beam to Tentacle Ship 1 (new ship based on Tentacle biomes, or based on human ship but infected with tenticles)

Beam to [Mod Race] Ship 1 (starter ship of a mod added race)

Beam to [Mod] Ship 1 (new ship added by a mod)

etc.

Alternatively (this example uses the same fleet as example 1):

Beam Down
    .....current orbited world
    Outpost

Beam to Ship (default starter ship, again, would be great to be able to name this one as well)
    .....[your race] [ship class] class ship
    Beam to ship 2 (default name, again, would be great if ships are nameable)
    .....human [ship class] class ship
    Beam to ship 3
    .....human [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 4
    .....glitch [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 5
    .....colonist [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 6
    .....mining [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 7
    .....pirate [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 8
    .....eye [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 9
    .....tentacle [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 10
    .....[mod race] [ship class] class ship
    Beam to Ship 11
    .....[mod] [ship class] class ship

I think example 2 would be the better option as then you wouldn't need to include a descriptor when naming your ships.

Possibly they start out broken, like your first ship, and are purchased as salvaged ships. Additionally, a "License" (from Penguin Bay) could be required for each ship to make the salvaged ship's A.I. recognize you as its "Legitimate" owner.
    Of course, each upgrade license would be purchasable (up to your current progression) for the same number of diamonds as they were when you got them for your starter ship, and each ship's A.I. would require the same items to actually perform the upgrade.

Maybe new (non starter) ship types could have different upgrade caps (some cannot upgrade past a certain point, while others have classes beyond what starter ships have). Think shuttles, cruisers, yachts, freighters, battleships, mother ships, space stations, etc.

Each ship in your fleet would be separate, but I could see mother ships and space stations at least having the ability to dock some of your other ships to. Maybe more docks and/or docks that can accept larger class ships at larger classes.

Also, maybe different ships have different abilities, adding some strategy to purchasing and using them.

Scientific Ships would have scanners, that get more functionality with upgrades (Short Range Scanners: ore types on orbited planet, lifeforms on orbited planet, structures on orbited planet; Scanners: ore types for a given planet in this system, lifeforms for a given planet in this system, structures for a given planet in this system; Long Range Scanners: ore types in a nearby system, lifeforms in a nearby system, structures in a nearby system).

Shuttles could enter atmospheres and land on large enough flat areas, but would have no FTL drive
    (so they need to dock at a larger ship to move from system to system), no built in teleporter (though one can be manually added) and need to be manually piloted on the planet until they land. Also, they would require environmental shielding (going to an irradiated planet, you need radiation shielding; planet has meteor showers, you need deflectors; going to an ocean planet, having buoyancy or submersible would really help). Also, they would allow you to explore gas planets, though you cannot land (because there is nothing to land on).

Maybe another feature would be salvageable ships you can find while exploring the universe. Some could even be dungeons where you have to fight off invaders and/or infected crew. Possibly even rescue survivors who either join your crew, or who you can bring to the colony and then they add something to it (or offer a reward, but want their ship back).

Also, Colony upgrades would be awesome.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    toby109tt and BlaneBot like this.
  6. FireFangs

FireFangs Cosmic Narwhal

I'd love to have a fleet, though with more functionality. It could be either a colony (think Quarians from Mass Effect), or maybe even a mini-game in which you control the different ships, perhaps sending them on resource runs or into battle against something.

7. TrevorH7441

TrevorH7441 Big Damn Hero

And maybe afterwards be able to make different upgrades that branch out, such as decreasing fuel use.