1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Release of 1.4 and a suggestion......

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Xylia, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

First off, I would like to take the time to thank Chucklefish for the 1.4 update.

You guys planned it, started working on it, got backlash from the public and then seemingly scrapped it, and then resurrected it, and now we have it.

And I'm sure it's awesome and all, but...

Can I make a suggestion here? Just a calm civil one?

It would have been nice if we would have had some kind of clue that this was going to happen today. I've spoken with a number of my friends, some of whom are involved in mods, and none of them seemed to have known that 1.4 was going to land today. This took all of us completely by surprise.

We knew that 1.4 was on Unstable, and I think a lot of us had assumed it would take a little longer than that before it reached Live on Steam. The problem is, with a highly moddable game built around modding that Starbound is, major updates break peoples' mods. I know that at least the FU server had events planned today, but that's definitely not going to happen because, well..

Surprise update is a surprise. Of course, FU is broken and of course we'll fix it ASAP, but my suggestion is this:

If any major updates happen in the future for Starbound or any other game developed by Chucklefish in the future, Once the update is done, could you release the trailer and a release date one week in advance?

If you had done that, then we at FU would have all hopped on the Unstable branch knowing that what was on Unstable was 99% close to what we would end up getting on Live and the transition would have been much smoother.

I, myself, and a few other friends were waiting for some kind of word that Unstable was almost finished before messing with it, and lo and behold, on a random Thursday, it's "SURPRISE!".

I realize that the playerbase has been toxic and times, and I really hope my post comes across as polite and courteous, as I mean no malice towards Chucklefish or any developers working on Starbound.

It's just a polite request to make things easier on all of us in the future.

Thank you.