Chat The Newer Monthly Event Thread - Dead or alive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lodish, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Did your tablet break or something? :p

2. 2nd Lieutenant Raoni

2nd Lieutenant Raoni Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why??

3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Quoted from another thread:

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Trip to Connecticut. Younger cousin's first holy communion or something. Drawing in the car makes me sick and I won't have access to my normal drawing program at the place... Then again, my uncle is a professional artist... He can probably let me use his setup or something...

Vith, Elldar and 2nd Lieutenant Raoni like this.
  5. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

This may sound stupid but... is that sword real? like it's not a prop?

Vith and 2nd Lieutenant Raoni like this.
  6. BloodyFingers

How do you mean 'real'? As in 'does it have an edge?' Or 'is it a cardboard sword'?

The answer to both would be no, although it can still cause serious damage if you swing it at something hard enough.

Vith, 2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Elldar like this.
  7. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Bonus question from me: What steel is it made out of? Stainless, carbon or spring steel?
    Because if it's made out of stainless steel it might not be the best idea to swing it hard at somethig, as shown in this video. :rofl:

8. BloodyFingers

It is stainless. I know, not the best material for a sword. But if it were made of anything tougher I would be considered armed while carrying it around, which I don't have a license for. After all, if we are being serious it is a decorative sword. It won't slice bamboo trees in half. But it is quite heavy. And the tip is sharp enough that you can thrust it through someone with relative ease provided you don't hit any bones.

Also, that sword broke too easily. Was that a stainless blade for real? Wow...

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  9. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

This is why you don't dick around with swords if you don't know how to use them...

Vith, BloodyFingers and Crossfang like this.
  10. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Ehh, sharpen it enough and it will cut through bamboo just fine. The ultimate question is how thick the handle is, since it can bend pretty easily if the metal rod inside of it has a thickness of a straw. :rofl:
    Well, it wasn't his actions that caused the collateral damage. Had the sword's handle been thick enough it wouldn't have happened. A high-quality sword should be able to take it with relative ease. Then again, banging a sharp piece of metal against a table is not a good idea, anyway. :rofl:

11. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, 't was stainless steel. But the real reason it broke was behind the fact that the handle was too thin. While a good quality sword would have a thick handle, I don't think that it would happen with a carbon steel, for example, since it bends on impact. Being not as rigid as stainless steel gives it an advantage of absorbing some of that impact. :p

2nd Lieutenant Raoni and Vith like this.
  12. BloodyFingers

I filled the hilt with wonderglue at one point. The hilt is somewhat hollow.

I applied Fallout 4 engineering logic before it was even a thing. :rofl:

13. Elldar

Elldar Spaceman Spiff

Hmm, I see. Good thinking on your side, might prevent possible accidents in the future. Speaking of which, you probably already did it, but it wouldn't hurt to stick a bit of wonderglue right above the tsuba of your katana and below it. I mean, if there's any space left between the wonderglue and the part where handle extends into the blade the sword might bend there. :p

*Makes a grip using cheap plastic and screws from a toy car* I don't know what the hell you are talking about - this logic is flawless. :rofl:

14. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

-Used inception logic to draw my drawing tool
    -Inceptionization went well
    [​IMG]

15. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Well I mean, my avatar was a sentient mannequin so...

16. CondescendedWow

CondescendedWow Supernova

Yeah I just chose Vana cause she's a character I like many much.
    If there's an item that would have enough meaning to be my avatar though, I don't think it would be very easy for me to find it lol.

Vith and Alkanthe like this.
  17. ZAYABUCKET

ZAYABUCKET Spaceman Spiff

18. ZAYABUCKET

Ta dah!
    s-l1000.jpg

Pixel bucket 2.1.png

I'll do it.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  19. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

I'm surprised that you didn't use a pineapple, Zaya. And thank you for taking up my request. I'm interested to see what you make.

Vith and ZAYABUCKET like this.
  20. ZAYABUCKET

super-saiyan-level-pineapple_o_148079.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.