1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback The Erchius Mining Facility so so very much more atmospheric without the music.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by General Nuclear, Feb 13, 2018.

1. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

So after playing starbound for a while now i have been starting to get very tired of most of the music in the game so i figure that i would just turn it of but keep the other sounds from the game on and listend to my own music.

Fast forward to that when i had to make a new character after losing my savefilles because of a mod.

So i made a new character and soon came to the Erchius Mining Facility misson in which i am so very tired of.
    but this time there was something diffrent, the atmosphere of the whole misson was change since the music was still off but the other sounds where still there. suddenly the whole misson got a new vib to it.

Instead of forced over hyped intensified ''excitement'' it got a dark cold gloomy sci fi feeling to it. like this was how it was meant to be from the being of it.

so i definitely recomend turning of the music completely but keep the other sounds when doing this misson to see the true dark charm that it actually was meant to have.

Also why am i putting this in feed back? well because i wonna point that not every misson need a hype soundtrack also of the wrong use of that music for the situation. it is better if you use that in a time based misson or a misson that feel like you need to act fast or a lot is happing. but when it comes to starbound in it self there are no such misson that makes you feel like you need to hurry other then the intro misson which again the whole thing is forced over hyped ''excitement'' besides starbound is a game where we like to explore and look around. we prefer a nice and calm soundtrack rather then a ''excited'' one because that was one of the things that draged us in the beta. besides you don't need to have fast intense music to make a situation feel tense or exciting

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Inferus[RF] and ItsDaPervert like this.
  2. ItsDaPervert

ItsDaPervert Title Not Found

Agreed. The soundtrack really is over the top sometimes. And as much as I think it fits into the game´s style I got tired of it really quickly because I feel there is a few tracks that keep repeating themselves way too much.

By the way, I can greatly recommend music like this for when you play:
    Especially when you´re building or wandering around by yourself it can be really calming and making the the world/universe feel like a huge and a times empty place (if that made any sense to you).

3. AmazonValkyrie

AmazonValkyrie Spaceman Spiff

I was never a fan of the game’s soundtrack, honestly, save for “Europa.” Very little of it has much character or distinction, though I must admit I’ve always stacked it up against the music of Terraria which has so much distinction and character musically for even each biome. I feel like the game overall lacks very good ambient music. Immediately I think of tracks from say Donkey Kong Country that fit the areas they were made for and have so much energy befitting of the stage. There are no songs in Starbound that make me even want to build in certain biomes, or even any music that gives me a good soundtrack for building, again save for “Europa”, but one track can’t save a soundtrack for me. The soundtrack for any game is as important as it’s world/character design. It helps to set the tone for everything that follows, and if it’s just dull or improper, the game will likely feel the same at times. They’ll probably never retroactively go back and add more or better tracks, which I understand, but the soundtrack is just so boring and flat. The only saving grace is that it’s not set in stone, as the player can mod in their own soundtrack, but saving graces for games shouldn’t be dependent on mods.

STCW262 and ItsDaPervert like this.
  4. Gasboy

Gasboy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I always turn off game music. Without doing so, all the other sounds and the music mix together and I can't make anything out.

5. Inferus[RF]

Inferus[RF] Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm... I'll have to try that, it'll give me inspiration for my story, always envisioned the Erchius Mining Facility to be much more scary.

6. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

there are however a few good songs that i really like if i could only enjoy them without something attacking me all the time.

or

and who can forget

or

and

and my favorite
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtz2NT0OFJA

those are some of my favorite starbound tunes

7. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

The current music would be more fitting for a different mission... Probably it could be reused for a side mission. That way, more apporpiately scary music could be used in the EMF.