The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Agreed on both counts. Can't wait to see the finished product! :)

2. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

I had something to say... but I can't think of anything other than "home sweet home"

3. Quilavabom

Quilavabom Oxygen Tank

Last I checked, this thread had four pages. Suddenly 21. Probability of being able to keep up: no.

4. SCN-3_<NULL>

SCN-3_<NULL> Pangalactic Porcupine

within a few weeks we'll be a few hundred pages long

5. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Few weeks? We are on 21th page already! Give it a few more days for 100th page.

6. SCN-3_<NULL>

5 days, or less

7. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

doopa doopa doo just testing out how i want to colour this thing, i should probably finish the lineart before i screw with colours but whatever, you're not my real mom

May possibly change my avatar to this... hrmm. Also, feedback on altered foot size? I need to reshape the left leg a little, but the feet should be an okay size now?

avali.png

(If I'm posting too often, just shout at me. I just like showing off what I'm working on, it makes me happy)

8. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Still too big, in my opinion.

9. Sparrows

You're a bee, I'm pretty sure you'd think everybody's feet are too big ;P

10. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

Even I agree with him for once.

11. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

If it can crush me, it's too big.
    But those feet can crush a chicken, really.

12. Sparrows

But I can't make them any smaller without it feeling top-heavy... :C

13. SCN-3_<NULL>

a serama chicken you mean?
    (it's a type of malaysian chicken that's as small as a tennis ball, if not smaller)

14. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

What you can try to is make the wrists thinner, and then lower the ankles.
    Especially on that right leg.
    I don't know, looks like it may solve the problem.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  15. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I love how that picture is coming along. Problem might be structural. Hhere's how the Avali foot is structured

[​IMG]

Typically the dewclaw gets omitted in the lower detail images, hell their sprite only renders 2 of the toes technically at that :p - the idea is the dewclaw services as sort've natural ice pick, for shimmying up or latching onto trees or sheer icey surfaces to then leap from as an ambush strategy. In actual birds the shin is extremely low, and the metarsus relatively close to the ground, whereas the avali take the opposite approach with a very short shin (Which is often hidden below the skirt anyway making animation even easier) and a very long metatarsus (foot)

16. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

This was exactly what I was meaning, but ultimately failed to do so. =p

17. legoracer

legoracer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, it's better, but still not quite the right size.

I think it's just the feathers on the arms giving that illusion, personally.

edit: Actually, you know what, just browse through the Art and concepts section of the wiki. Plenty of helpful references there. :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  18. Sparrows

aaaaaaa ryuu said he loves my picturrrrrre

Ahem. Now that I'm over the fangirlish glee.... huh. I totally forgot about the dewclaw, though to be fair this is what I've mostly been using as reference and that doesn't show it either :V

I think the problem with the feet looking too big is how elongated the lines leading up from the toes are as well as a weird sort of "chubby" feeling to the foot as a whole; I think I'll tinker with the feet some more once I'm finished with the wings (whenever I draw feathers I hate leaving them unfinished, I have to do em in one big chunk). That image definitely helps a lot :)

Aaaaand just because I feel like showing off again (this is without the further feet tinkering):

avali.png

Dragon-Tamer795 and J_Mourne like this.
  19. Battle Bee

Battle Bee Heliosphere

Dat outline coloar.
    It almost sounds like "collar".
    *sniff*

20. Sparrows

Oh, whoops, I forgot that was there! It's because I'm not doing the outlines in flat black (except for the eye), so I need a bleb of colour to eyedropper from if I stop to do something else. If I try and take it straight from the lines, I'll just end up with nine million sliiiightly different shades of the same colour.

And shush. Collar is not this one; collar will be on the other one. If I ever end up drawing her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.