The Avali Nexus

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by RyuujinZERO, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ehksidian

Ehksidian Spaceman Spiff

I doubt ammonia biology would cope well with Earth's (relatively) high temperatures.

2. Twei

Twei Big Damn Hero

also billions of years ago the Earth may or may not have been a ball of lava. I forget. :V

3. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

The only naming convention appears to be a focus on quite short, two-syllable names, though this is probably more a result of Starbound name generator than anything else.

4. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

No it's quite deliberate, it's entirely possible to make redonkulously long multi-syllible hyphenated names and/or second, third, 4th or 5th names. Their names are deliberately meant to sound short, with a narrow range of trilling/chirpy/sharp phonetics (naturally being less inclined towards guttural or rhotic sounds)

Depends how many billions :p - Earth stopped being molten about 4 billion years ago, in fact, it wasn't molten for all that long, even after the moon got carved out.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. Sparrows

Sparrows Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, there's me told :p

6. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I'd probably make them shorter and more playful still tbh, the Starbound name generation was derived from the few named examples in Spore. But the grounds for that naming structure wasn't particularly robust or well planned. However at this stage so many characters have been named using th old system I'm on the fence about that

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  7. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

sweet house :3 i ve been thinking about how it would look to make a home in a tundra world, it looks pretty nice ill admit!

8. J_Mourne

J_Mourne Pangalactic Porcupine

What about just adding the new options into the existing system? Or are you concerned it would throw out some really weird sounding ones?

9. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

It already has the phonetics for most of them, the problem is the names are simply much longer and already have "offending" phonetics.

Basiclly - notable named examples in Spore:
    Renami, Khaoli, Eija, Jesaan.
    The "ao" and "ja" "je" phonetics don't sit right with me in respect to their vocalisations. "aa" phonetic is a very bad offender being a rhotic sound.

Preferred examples:
    Eiki, Rano, Euli, Ko, Sani, Koli, Juni
    Are more in line with what I'm thinking might be better, shorter and more playful, typically just two syllables, focus on high pitched, avoiding rhotic or gutteral sounds, favouring trilling or high-pitched. Also a rework'd be good for introducing clearer male/female naming differences. Though starbound doesn't allow for that distinction in the name generator.

Why short, cute and playful you may ask?

Because it helps fit their apparently small and cutesy profile :) - They afterall a race that ropes you in with the cutesy puppy dog stare, and then keeps you here at the muzzle of a railgun.

10. Surge

Surge Phantasmal Quasar

it's the opposite way for me, they roped me in with the railguns and are keeping me here with the cutesy looks

11. J_Mourne

So how about these pronunciations then (I'm hoping there's a little leeway for guttural sounds to allow more name variety)? Red is most guttural, green is most trilling.

Jairn:
    Jair-ne (rhymes with cairn)​
    Kyara:
    Kee-are-ah
    Sike:
    Sigh-ke (rhymes with psych)​
    Rhai:
    Rye
    So when I thought I was putting them in my signature, I was really setting them up to ambush me?!?

12. YoshioGamer

YoshioGamer Pangalactic Porcupine

if that's the case how would Akiteru be pronounced?
    Edit: Also MAGIC
    [​IMG]

13. J_Mourne

My guess is as good as yours. I was basically posting to ask confirmation, but if I break it down the same way I broke down the other names:

Akiteru:
    Ah-kih-ter-oo
    Ah-kee-ter-oo
    Actually, that makes me rethink some of my earlier breakdowns. Let me fix those.

14. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

I think they can probably vocalise "oo"'s just fine if you think of owls but, then owls have a very different subset of sounds. Of course if you look at some birds capable of mimicry, they seem to be able to pronounce whatever they damn well please xD

(The in-game vocalisation when they get hurt is actually pretty close to what I envision)

15. J_Mourne

Got it. As long as we pronounce our names like a parrot was saying it, we'll be fine...

I completely lost it when that parrot went "Bpbpbpt. Raspberry," at 1:24.

16. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

AVALI SQUEAKY TOY DUBSTEP..... oh wait you edited your comment and got rid of the squeaky toy part....... well now I just look like an idiot..... which is how I usually look :facepalm:

17. RyuujinZERO

RyuujinZERO Supernova

Well, it's still a fair comparrison, that they sound like a squeaky toy, which makes it all the more hilarious if you imagine one getting mauled by a big dog-like creature

18. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

I pressed the right arrow key and... ... I was horrified. I didn't know I had it in me...

19. Marxon

Marxon Supernova

This is the main hook of the mod for me, just to make things clear. But then again I kind of try to push away the cuteness factor by showing off the railgun, so there's that.

20. 0deneb0

0deneb0 Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think we can all agree that cuddly space raptor + awesome guns = win!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.