1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The allure of living On an asteroid rain planet.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sir.Yvain, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Sir.Yvain

Sir.Yvain Void-Bound Voyager

So I've been playing starbound and looking for a suitable planet for my Novakid character and I found A planet that's "scorched" and it fit's perfectly into what I was looking for. But then I got hit by an asteroid and what I had built up till that point got destroyed. But instead of getting pissed and leaving planet to start over I got really interested in living on that planet because it had those asteroid showers. So I started thinking of way's to defend against those showers but nothing that I make ever really works. It seems Like this is something we should be able to do I.E. Live on those planets with destructive weather but have defenses against them. Now I know there are certain mod's that supposedly offer help with this matter (ForceGates) but I feel like there should be A built in way to do this. Like a shield generator that specifically blocks weather effect's In a certain proximity/area. It's kinda become my dream in starbound to live on one of these planet's because I just find the concept to be so cool. Anyway if anyone has found good defenses against asteroid shower's that maybe I don't know about It would be cool to know.

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Moved to Starbound Discussion. The Social section is NOT for Starbound topics.

Axe Garian likes this.
  3. Ettary

Ettary Void-Bound Voyager

Hm. I have just gotten back into Starbound, so I haven't gotten to experience meteorite attacks personally yet, but I have seen them on lets plays. Do you know what the interaction is between meteorites and fluids? Maybe a pool of lava or water would be the best way to mitigate damage. I feel like the meteorite might just ignore liquids, but it is worth a shot.

Alternatively, maybe many tall spires, as opposed to thick layers of rock, could be a more cost efficient way of shielding from meteorites. Instead of a meteorite detonating right at the surface, they'd detonate in the air? Not sure, good luck though.

4. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

meteorites detonate on contact with solid blocks so the spires tactic would work though constant maintenance would bee needed and it would take some effort to make them look good.

If I understand it correctly meteors destroy blocks the same way the matter manipulator or weapons do. doing damage until the block reaches a certain threshold and breaks. so any block that takes a long time to mine through would be more resistant to meteor impacts than others. I think meteorite rock itself is the hardest naturally occuring rock, but I can't vouch for the durability of the man made objects.

ravingrabidmoose and Axe Garian like this.
  5. Will Liferider

Will Liferider Ketchup Robot

My home used to be on an asteroid ridden planet. The most effective method I could devise was to build a dome of a hard material (e.g. obsidian) over my home. It was very effective and only required occasional maintenance. However, I did that almost two years ago, so there's no telling how the mechanics might have changed. You'll just have to do some experimentation and let us know :lickitung:

6. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I last played in Beta & my Starbound Experience is now out of date & for Full Release, Novice, but as of Beta, I found Magmarock was tough stuff, it might be worth a try too, plus it's disposable as of Beta where it had nothing it could Craft into, & I wouldn't bet on it gaining Craftability into anything, let alone anything as tough or tougher then the base Magmarock. :)

I applaud your courage, stubbornness, & sheer raw willingness to get in the face of Cosmic Forces & tell it that it can't beat you down. :up:

ravingrabidmoose likes this.
  7. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Well... you could always just set up a deep-core bunker, and have a teleporter down there with you. Let the planet be your defenses!

I'm thinking you could also possibly just set up "layers" of defenses, rather than one solid wall. It would cut maintenance costs by a ton.

8. ravingrabidmoose

ravingrabidmoose Void-Bound Voyager

That what was what I was going to suggest. I wonder, if given enough time, if the asteroids would destroy enough blocks to reach the bottom of the planet lol

Axe Garian likes this.
  9. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I've wondered the same before too, but that'd take so long to test i'm WAY too lazy to try to test it.

10. Yubs

Yubs Big Damn Hero

Now that I think about it, if your planet had "sand-storms" then the generating sand would naturally form a protective layer on the surface.

11. ravingrabidmoose

ravingrabidmoose Void-Bound Voyager

The sand from sandstorms is a pretty thin layer, isn't it? I suppose an extra block layer would mitigate SOME damage, but not very much. Not when a single asteroid is going to demolish a 5x5 block radius, if not more.

Axe Garian likes this.
  12. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

no I think not, I think they are only generated when you are at the surface layer. However you won't be able to build with the nice lava background when doing this.

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

I was wondering this myself. Go far enough down, and the game might not even bother to use resources to generate meteors, since there is no player around to see them. A lot of games do something similar, like how minecraft unloads chunks that you are no longer within range of. Worth a shot, and personally it would be what I would do. Testing it wouldn't really take that long, just put up a few layers of dirt up top, live down at the bottom for a while ensuring you don't get anywhere close to the surface, and then go back up and see if there is any damage.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

That reminds me... is that Bug still in the game where ya can have a Roof on your House/Base, go down till you're one to one & a half Screens down from the Roof where the Chunk the Roof was in is Unloaded, then have Rain raining inside your House/Base as if the Roof didn't exist, because it doesn't till ya go back into its Chunk? If so, imagine that plus Meteors... D:

15. Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

I've seen rain appear underneath long bridges in the sky, and I've seen rain in space too where the asteroids are, high up on planets. Man I sure hope meteors don't work that way!! That would suck!

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

I think we should be able to craft a building material which isn't destroyed by asteroid impacts at a high tech level. Maybe some sort of force field or super alloy, using solarium and the other 3 advanced ores.

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I'll take that as a yes. What a Facepalm... :facepalm:

In that case, I guess the Devs don't ever want us to build our Houses or Bases on the Surface of any World that can Rain anything other then those glowy petals. Underground Bases ftw, including for Asteroid Rain Defense.

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

they do since many many years and people already said that this kinda sucks.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Bahroth

Bahroth Star Wrangler

One painful option is making a liquid shield over and structures? Ive noticed on lava oceans that meteorites slowly fall and explode themselves.

Have yet to test, if this is even viable.

20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

it won't work, because the meteors spawn X heigth over your screen, not at the top of the planet. So unless you do not stay on the same level making sure they don't "spawn" at the wrong levels they can spawn outside of your safety measures.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Axe Garian likes this.