1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

I'm pretty sure the Agarans are linked to the Drysap, especially since an unused codex entry for the Floran Prison indicates that Drysap is probably... intelligent.

2. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I don't remember that, and I've read all the codex entries on starbounder. I know it's frequently stated that Drysap has deleterious effects on intelligent Florans, however...

3. Your Buddy Bill

It's unused, that's why you haven't read it. You cannot find it ingame.
    It's under codex/documents/helldrysap01 and codex/documents/helldrysap02
    Given that the stuff is, you know, ALIVE, and has been causing visions, I'd say it's not a stretch to believe that Drysap is intelligent in some way.

4. Karpz

Karpz Tentacle Wrangler

I don't no about any of you guys but they seem to remind me a bit of the flood from the Halo series

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  5. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Yeah, they do.

6. Azurium

Azurium Space Spelunker

They are not very intelligent because when night fell they decided to go outside and get slaughtered by some wild aliens, rendering me unable to purchase guns from them.

7. Your Buddy Bill

For the record, we are also told that everyone else is intelligent too (except maybe florans) and they all do this.

8. Karpz

Karpz Tentacle Wrangler

Its all a conspiracy man they know more about death then the wisest of us.

9. Your Buddy Bill

"What seems to you a sacrifice is merely, to us, an oscillation. We do not fear the interval of darkness."
    -Vortigaunt, Half-Life 2

SirKaldar likes this.
  10. KingCake

KingCake Space Penguin Leader

Actually as I stated before, they area much different to the flood since the flood is a sentient species which can infect and control any sort of intelligence (they controlled some cores) yet the Agarans can only infect living organisms, proven by the lack of Glitch/Agaran hybrids. They're more similar to a species of Cordyceps fungi than the flood. Also, flood spores can only be introduced through parasitical attachment, but as far as we know Agaran spores can be contagious in different methods, yet another allegation to fungi.

11. Hawk Novablast

Hawk Novablast Black Hole Surfer

Ah, okay. And, IMO the spores are spread through the air, and you're infected by breathing them in (or on the case of Florans they begin to grow over your body)

12. KingCake

Yeah, they are either absorbed by your pores or just inhaled. You're right.

13. Your Buddy Bill

Any actual evidence for the "spores" mechanic? The lore heavily implies Drysap.

14. Gatlinggouf927

Gatlinggouf927 Master Chief

<Pilot log 2.20.14>
    ----------------------------------------------
    : Doom Lord Pattern Glitch - Ignis Forgeborn :
    TARGET ACQUIRED, PREPARING FOR SUMMARY DESTRUCTION...
    ----------------------------------------------
    <End log>

<Signal source - X Magrathea 24 III X:81061 Y:-84918736>

[​IMG]

15. Your Buddy Bill

Also, last time I checked the files, the Small Agarans (the little blue mushroom dudes) were classified as SmallBipeds and shared a line with the SmallBiped file that allowed them to be captured by a capture pod. As I have never encountered any of this variety, I have not been able to test this theory.

16. Amyas Leigh

Amyas Leigh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The four-legged mushroom guys that hang around Agaran towns? If its that yeah they're capturable, though they come in different colors. Had one before the last patch wrecked me loots :p

17. the spanish inqusition

the spanish inqusition Space Penguin Leader

I think that the agrarans burn florans so that they can use them as ground up food filled with vitamins. When the Agagran jump into the lava they release spores into the air and infect the local wildlife and uninfected parts of the planet. If this sounds stupid or was said before sorry. P.S I say we use drones to kill them and then have the drones self destruct.

18. KingCake

Well, for one, they resemble fungi, which may or may not mean they spread by spores but just keep it in mind. And secondarily, how would they infect an organism through Drysap?

19. KingCake

upload_2014-2-21_8-33-31.png

I found these 2 Agarans near the spawn of the planet. Is it just me or do they seem to be using human Overcompensators? They have the same brown color and blade length. I'll try attacking them to see a different angle.

EDIT:

Never mind, the hilt doesn't match up to an overcompensator, but they don't seem to do absolutely any damage, considering we're in the X sector and my armor absorbs the damage completely. They do have quite a lot of health though (my Trunkcutter does 2000 damage, only one bar was depleted)

Can anyone identify the armor? I'd say it looks either Floran or Avian.

Also, from fighting them I have gathered enough evidence that they can speak in an understandable tongue. I left the battlefield for a couple of seconds and when I came back, instead of spouting their usual gibberish, one of them said "You again!"

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  20. Android19

Android19 Aquatic Astronaut

My first contact with the agarans has been at what appeared to be two shrines. A large water-filled pitcher made of plant, and a leafy green altar. The pitcher group had a floran with them, though it would not engage me in conversation or tell me what it was doing on such a remote desert planet with two agarans. None of the Agarans were hostile, though none survived the harsh night time beasts. They seem to be a misunderstood people, and while they are very difficult to kill, they seem to only posses the most basic of weaponry. Wandering cultists are more of a threat.