1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The 1 hit KO Shrines have gotta go.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by XaoG, Dec 12, 2013.

1. leifanator

leifanator Void-Bound Voyager

I don't bother with shrines... Although I've had a few instances where I used one to kill some critters.

They give too little reward for too great a risk. How long is the glowing buff? Like 30 seconds?

2. Denninja

Denninja Phantasmal Quasar

Okay I'll test thoroughly to estimate the thresholds and note any instantkilliness that arises.

Sorta like that one episode of Sliders where lottery winners get executed...

3. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Went ahead and edited my earlier post to sound less like a douche. Didn't meant to come across like that, just trying to provide constructive feedback.

4. Shiokuri

Shiokuri Ketchup Robot

I don't even use them, simply because the rewards suck, and I know I can die. It shouldn't even be a part of the game tbh.

5. Denninja

Denninja Phantasmal Quasar

Okay so a nude player won't likely survive from 100% if any of the poison cloud reaches them, not sure if it takes 1 or 2 hits.
    Eventually armor rating Blocks the damage entirely though, so there's no getting mowed down at that point.
    Could someone please find out how much armor is required to Block statuspod poison and tell everyone?
    People wouldn't need to worry when grabbing pods for their meager boosts at that safe point.

/tiredafk

6. Gerbilios

Gerbilios Void-Bound Voyager

In my opinion the "shrine" buffs should be improved so people would feel like taking the risk of instadeath

7. Xuhybrid

Xuhybrid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well the 3 times i got killed the moment i pressed E i took damage instantly and died...

8. TheEveryman

TheEveryman Big Damn Hero

As to the people posing the argument "You played the lottery and lost, get over it", this "lottery" isn't really worth it. Normally when you play the lottery, the prize is substantial and if you lose, you just lost however much money or effort you put into it. In this case, it's like the prize is 60-90 cents and if you lose, you get murdered and they take 20% of your life savings unless you paid a bank 40% of your life savings to safeguard the other 60%.

9. Raok

Raok Subatomic Cosmonaut

30% not 20%. The penalty was buffed back to normal when they added the compressor.

10. TheEveryman

TheEveryman Big Damn Hero

Even better.

11. ForceablePlace

ForceablePlace Phantasmal Quasar

Then offer feedback, dont post saying things like "This thing sucks so much, it insta kills you, and bla bla" but rather give GOOD feedback, Like, "Hey, the shrine things have a very good chance of killing you, I think it should have a less chance of death, and more chances of better items"... not complain, thats what i mean - _ -

12. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

13. Equilibriate

Equilibriate Orbital Explorer

OMG this thread if full of people going around and around in circles!

They CAN INSTA-KILL
    They AREN'T SUPPOSED to

I'm not replying here again so if anyone questions this, take the time to actually read the thread and you'll see.

14. NightofError

NightofError Pangalactic Porcupine

I hope these are never removed, you know? There is indeed a very simple way to activate them without dying, run to them activate them. Look at the mist, and then decide whether or not to touch the mist or simply not, I have rarely died from those only one time so far.

15. Tylerthedragon

Tylerthedragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What I do is stay as far away as possible, and click them, if its a buff, I'll go into the clouds, if not, then I'll run further for a second until the poison mist goes and done.

I use them sometimes...

16. Kriptini

Kriptini Zero Gravity Genie

The instakill is happening from the poison. Armor is not reducing it (last time I checked). Even if you have enough HP to survive the initial burst (around 160 damage), the poison will tick for 17 per second for a while.

17. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I tend to ignore them because the risk/reward is pretty bad. If i have to risk my life then they should drop really neat stuff like reare weapons, techs...for some kind of buff i wouldn't risk ever touching them. The reward should be a permanent one. A slight permanent increase in a base stat like +1hp or energy would be worth it to too to go shrine hunting....but for a timed buff...never

18. Notho

Notho 2.7182818284590...

I just skip them now. :p

19. AdamJ

AdamJ Big Damn Hero

No. GOD no.
    It'd just be a clusterfuck of people devouring their way through public server planets to locate shrines for the perma-buffs... Like a plague..

It has to be negligible enough that you wouldn't HUNT for them, but worthwhile enough that you'd actually use them.
    Balance is a bitch.

20. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Haven't though about public servers because i just play alone or with a couple of friends where it really wouldn't matter but you are right. Maybe if the death shrines would do a % amount of damage vs. the HP you have, then it allready would be ok.