Tutorial Synchronize characters across computers with Dropbox!

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Eppy, Dec 13, 2013.

1. th3rmyte

th3rmyte Void-Bound Voyager

or just copy the playerfolder directly to the thumb drive without using mklink. tried it. works. just stick your thumb drive into the pc, open to view files, copy the folder to it, take the drive out, put it in the other computer can copy the player folder from the thumb drive to the starbound folder. then overwrite the files on the other computer. done.

Eppy likes this.
  2. Eppy

Eppy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It definitely works this way as well.

Using Dropbox to auto-sync just makes it so you don't have to mess with it more than once per computer. If you're only going to be moving to a different computer once in a great while (e.g. taking a trip home for the holidays,) manual copying probably is easier unless you're super-geeky like me.

Edit: I just re-read what I posted. Sorry, I did that thing where I went off on a tangent musing to myself as usual. ;)
    I didn't mean to imply that mklink was the only way of doing this - it's just an easier way of doing things if you're going to have to be changing between computers frequently.

3. CommanderVillain

CommanderVillain The Court

So what are the player folders for and what's the universe one for?

4. Eppy

Eppy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The "player" folder holds all your characters. The "universe" folder holds the files for the changes you've made to the game world - planets, etc.

5. Steeps

Steeps Orbital Explorer

Thank you for this, it worked wonderfully well! My problem the first time I tried to use the "mklink" command is that I was in the "StarboundSaves" folder rather than the root Dropbox folder. I don't know if you would want to point that out to others or not. When I realized I was making that mistake after reviewing your code, it worked!