1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Switch - Corrupted save file? Sleep crash bug

Discussion in 'Support' started by Typhoon, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

More and more people seem to be experiencing this, here's hoping for a quick fix from the devs. Here's another instance of it:

"Well my game has started crashing every night in bed right before save. It's happened 5 times in a row. Only time I avoided it was by sleeping instantly when I wake up. But then crashes started the next day again.

Day 20, Winter, Year 1. Was loving the game but this has kind of killed my drive. Not knowing if a day will save or not makes me not want to play. Anybody else experiencing this? Hope it's fixed soon.

I'm reinstalling the game and will try one more time I guess."

Mistle on Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1443101&page=31

and a suggestion further down:

"I had the same issue. I reinstalled the game, which didn't work. The save problem, at least to my experience, stops if I don't cook right before bed. Give that a go, and see if it helps. Make sure to reach out to Chucklefish too, and let them know it isn't isolated."

JenniferJayde and dressenb like this.
    • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I'm midway through Winter of the first year, and for some reason the game keeps crashing as soon as I go to bed. I groundhog day'd the same day for four days, tweaking things in hopes that it might work. One time emptying my inventory did the trick. The next day I tested going to bed with my inventory-- crashed again. Emptied the inventory and it worked fine again, but the next day I emptied by default (tired of replaying days) and it still crashed. Not sure what's going on, but it's rendered the game almost unplayable for me. I'm really hoping I can get this fixed, cause I'm a little too addicted at this point haha"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do41pwp/

JenniferJayde likes this.
      • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

I've got a Ground Hog day scenario going on. I have to repeat the same day over and over as the game will reliably crash upon saving. I'm not sure what's relevant in my daily activities: it's the day before the Spirit Festival in Fall (so the 26th?) It's raining. I try to buy the mermaid pendant, and I drop my watering pail off for upgrade.

If I sleep immediately upon waking up, it seems ok, but something over the course of my day means I can't process.

Anyone seeing something similar? I know that some people are... but any solutions?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do3zbzc/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I can no longer sleep/save without the game crashing. I’ve been having the audio crackling issues more frequently, and now I’m in Winter 9, and the game completely crashes when I try to sleep. I’ve lost sooo many items now because of this, and the game is unplayable. Well, unless you like playing it like Groundhog Day. It has crashed four times now.

Edit: Winter 9, not Winter 11.

Edit 2: it seems the crash is tied to upgrading tools? I accidentally kept forgetting my hoe at the blacksmith, so this time around I remembered to pick it up. No crash? Weird."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do3n8fa/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"I've gotten a hard crash every Winter 1st, and I can trace it to one of two things:

• asking Robin to build the larger coop on Fall 28th

• giving my pick to Clint on Fall 28th to upgrade to Silver
            Once I stopped doing those two things, the crash stopped."

"Actually, everytime I try to upgrade the pick to Iron the game crashes."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...stardew_valley_bug_report_megathread/do34gd4/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Possible cause (and temporary solution?) for the sleep crash bug:

"It's Mining items being sold in the box by the house or having them in your inventory

Fix until bug patch:
              - simply put a chest beside your box so that you can store them there just so you won't forget it. Furthermore if you wish to sell them simply ask the Blacksmith dude for cash
              - only have tools with you while you going to bed(fishing rod etc. etc.)

Never had a crash since I realized that."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/7573ks/found_the_culprits_for_the_sleep_crash_bug/

EDIT: OP has issued a wording correction to his initial post, as follows:

"sorry I meant Items you ACQUIRE with an Pickaxe, like Copper Nuggets or those Red Thingies you pick up in the MINE itself.

I always go with the 4/5 standard tools in the bed sleeping, no other items and no crashes."

So his original post now reads as follows:

"It's Mining items(=the items you FIND in the mine) being sold in the box by the house or having them in your inventory

Fix until bug patch:
              - simply put a chest beside your box so that you can store them there just so you won't forget it. Furthermore if you wish to sell them simply ask the Blacksmith dude for cash
              - only have tools with you while you going to bed(fishing rod etc. etc.)

Never had a crash since I realized that."

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
                dressenb likes this.
              • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Hi all, really hoping someone can help me here otherwise I'm gonna be stuck in a rut on my game!

I'm playing the nintendo switch version and I'm halfway through winter (year 1) and decided to upgrade my tools. I've been trying to upgrade to a steel watering can/hoe, but every time I go to bed to save after handing over one of those tools, the game quits and an error message comes up: "This software has closed because an error has occurred". I've already tried doing a system reboot, checking for corrupted data, and reinstalling the game, but no luck.

The funny thing is, if I go through the entire day as normal (without upgrading any tools) it saves just fine, no error message. I've been trying this off and on for an hour now, and I've pretty much confirmed that the error message only appears after going to bed on days where I've tried to upgrade a tool.

Has anybody else experienced this? Or have anything that I can try? It's not exactly game-breaking as I can still play, but I'll be stuck with a copper watering can forever!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/758140/tool_upgrade_bug/

Shooms8015 likes this.
                • rndmwhitekid

rndmwhitekid Intergalactic Tourist

I've tried this too, but it didn't work. When I got back from the mines I put everything into a chest, tools included, and it still crashed. I could try it again without putting the tools away.

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

That's a pity. Do try it without putting the tools away and report back here please.

• rndmwhitekid

rndmwhitekid Intergalactic Tourist

Just tried, followed the same steps except I kept the tools in my inventory and it still crashed.

• dressenb

dressenb Space Hobo

Not to throw a wrench into any ideas or suggestions (because the current possible solutions might actually work for some people), but I had already upgraded my pick to silver during summer. In my (are we calling them groundhog days, because that's hilarious) I cooked a single sashimi and picked up a single void egg in the morning. Those are the only similarities I can see in other peoples' days. I also went foraging a lot with the hoe around Robin's place. I really don't want to sacrifice doing those three things for the chance at losing a day, so hopefully the bug will be fixed soon.

Good luck everyone!

• Zorkinian

Zorkinian Void-Bound Voyager

@dressenb Interesting point. I stopped doing the following behaviors:
                          - Cooking Sashimi
                          - Leaving mining loot (gems, nuggets, etc) in my inventory

So far I've made it at least one day forward.

dressenb likes this.
                          • Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

Damn, that's annoying. Very sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

Over to the devs then!

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Hey guys, I'm new here. I picked up this game on the switch for the first time and I've encountered a bug where picking up the Skull Key crashes my game right when I go to sleep that day. It says something like "An error has occured. The software has been closed." I'm currently in my first year on Winter 18th, and I'm pretty sure the Key is what causes the bug. I tried getting it twice and it crashed both times, without saving. Then I played through the same day again without visiting the mine, and there was no problem. Has anyone of you had that issue or is this a known thing from the pc version? I really hope it'll get fixed. I'm loving the game and can't wait to go on! Any help would be appreciated."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/75ayhx/skull_key_crashes_my_game_switch_version/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"This happened a few times during summer of year 1, but now it's happening almost every night during spring of year 2. I'm getting really frustrated. Whenever I try to progress to the next day I have to cross my fingers and hope the game doesn't crash and lose all my progress. Aside from this I love the game but if this keeps happening I'll have to stop playing.

Does anyone on here know where I should report this so that chucklefish will actually see it? I know complaining here does next to nothing but I don't know where else to go."

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/75b6ka/game_crashes_when_going_to_bed_switch/

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

"Has anyone else had their game crash after reaching level 100 in the mines and then trying to go home to bed? I just did it twice now, and both times when I reach my bed and it would be time to save, I get that 'an error has occurred and the game has to close' pop-up, and the whole day is unable to save. I guess I'll try it again and report back. I'll try to do some other actions before bed and see if that helps. If it is a bug, I hope it's fixed soon! I am officially an addict."

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...rdew_valley_bug_after_level_100_in_the_mines/

• SkyeFire

SkyeFire Space Hobo

Same issue.

Every time I hit floor 35 in the mine my game won't save and the software closes. I tried not mining and was able to continue to the next day. But, if I do that I'll never be able to get iron to proceed farther in the game. Hopefully they fix this issue soon.

Typhoon likes this.