1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Super /sbg/ Race Mod 0.17

Eight (possibly more) exotic alien races from the depths of the Internet to spice up your galaxy!

1. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

The previous suggestion of separating the mods into separate folders in order to attempt to use certain races without using others (I have 3 spaces left on my character addon mod with 36 slots.. can't find a bigger one that isn't outdated. Plus, I already am using the Beldehor).

Essentially, I made an attempt to separate this mod's race files into separate race mods. I failed. Not that I'm any kind of modder whatsoever. I'm probably lacking the tools. I think the general folders (the ones that don't single out a particular race) have important files that these race mods need, but are also making references to other species in the modpak that I'm not including the rest of the files for. For instance, I tried to separate out the slime people by taking any folder trees associated with them and copying their position and contents into a separate folder designed specifically for this race. Any folders that contained files NOT specifically mentioning a particular race were included, as I imagine these carry the bulk of the actual information that the game needs.

What I end up with are blank spaces in my race selection screen that cause the game to crash if I click on them. I think the main files are still referring to other races that are no longer included in the created folder.

2. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

yeah, that is the case. Some items are used among several races. Did you try just removing the .species file and having the rest of the mod untouched? That way, it should leave you with the races you want, and hopefully no errors.

3. Artay001

Artay001 Pangalactic Porcupine

I will give it a shot and letcha know. :)

4. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Holy crap, almost 1000 downloads. I probably should have waiting until it actually hit 1000 to post this for more impact/celebration value, but I'm at a bit of a crossroads.

No, I am not abandoning the mod. However, /sbg/ has died again (to shamble forth once more at the dawn of the next Stable like a particularly vindictive zombie), I've been sorely lacking in the motivation and inspiration to actually build up a content base for the races I've added here (due in part to a lack of some features that would make my job a lot easier; I'll post suggestions on those sometime soon), and College looms on the horizon, threatening to eat up all my time.

Further, I have a confession to make: While this is ostensibly a community mod, /sbg/ hasn't been particularly active in a long time, which can make it extremely difficult to actually get feedback; I'd often push forward with decisions on executive authority after only two or three responses (if anyone even bothered responding at all). That is to say, this mod has basically always been a de-facto testbed for my experimental race building, which seems to be what I particularly excel at (just not actually making things for those races.)

So, here's the proposal I've been mulling over for the past few days: This mod will stay, as will all of the races in it that other people have actually contributed to (Barometta, Slimes, and a new race featured later in this post, as well as any new ones /sbg/ cooks up once it comes back to life; the Carodonts and Singularnosti will remain as long as carriontrooper's content with me hosting them).

The other three races will be removed; The Beldehor have always been my own work, and will go back to being a standalone mod. The design direction for the Gamayun and fishgrills was influenced by community feedback, but so far I've been the only one to work on them, and I want to open them up to the broader Starbound community; they will be re-released with the other 4+ races I've got stirring in my brain under a new mod, to serve as an actual testbed for experimental race creation.

This new mod will be released with open permissions: while I will probably add some content for it, I don't seem to be quite cut out for the grunt work of building up entire racial asset bases, and my mind keeps pressing me to create newer and more interesting races. I'd been stuck for several days trying to finish the scale dithering on the fishgrills' limbs when the idea for the Gamayun struck me; I knocked them out in thirty minutes, and had a blast doing it!

This way, though, other modders will be free to create whatever assets they like for those races to customize their experiences with them, and I can focus on development for the /sbg/ mod when it's in season and work on the Beldehor and exotic race mods as hobby projects whenever inspiration strikes. What does everyone think of this idea?
    (apologies in advance if this all seems presumptuous or arrogant of me; I'm aware I can come off a bit strong in that regard)

In actual mod news:
    Slimes have hair now, thanks to one particularly talented anonymous spriter (slimebro/hairanon):
    technicolorslimes.png more qt slimes.png slime3.png space adventurer.png

Bunnygirls! Those aren't just rabbit ears, they're an entirely new race.
    mass bunnies.png
    4 different ears styles (one of them from Campaigner; used with permission) and fluffy tails. They're all naked because apparently I forgot to define their clothes in the NPC files. :lickitung:

Lindazana likes this.
  5. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

It's not pompous at all to prefer to work on content you actually enjoy, and it's one of the best ways to avoid burning out. Though, I admit I may be a bit biased, with you speaking of adding more content to the beldehor, and the slimes staying in. The /sbg/ mod as it is is/was an incredibly bold project to release with so many races, especially if you planned to give each one racial gear and ships. Narrowing down the scale of it was a wise move. I look forward to seeing what you create or work on next!

6. carriontrooper

Yeah, I'm okay with the hosting, since I haven't found time to do more stuff for the Carodonts and the S-nosti.
    Maybe for the time being, until you get your race pack ready, the Beldehor, Gamayun and Fishgrill stays in this mod. More variety and choice for the mod users is always good. Then when you're ready to move them to a new pack, you can remove them from here.

Oh, almost forgot, maybe if anyone's interested in adding stuff for the races in this pack, they could contact either of us or post here? Opens up the community aspect.

7. carriontrooper

[​IMG]
    Some progress on the S-nosti ship, what do you guys think of the colors so far?

Saint Apollyon and Artay001 like this.
  8. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

For the S-Nosti, definitely works for colors. This may not be what you intended, but the S-nosti sound -incredibly dangerous-. I would be terrified to piss off or attack a sentient blackhole, with the only thing between me and it being that suit. Although...wasn't this the "cargo-cult" ship design for the shark race, initially? Or did things just evolve and change as you went?

9. carriontrooper

The WIP above is definitely intended to be for the S-Nosti from the start. The Carodonts will have a more tribal, Mad Max-esque feel that will be kinda similar to the vanilla human ship.

And yes, the S-Nosti are considered dangerous, since they're the chief controller of the underworld in their sector. I mean, I plan to show how ruthless these guys are in their respawn animation, when I get to it eventually. Fortunately for the rest of us, their c-suits are quite durable - and the fact that their singularity is actually quite small, relatively speaking.

Hint about the animation: it has to do with their eccentric 'diet'.

EDIT: Now with 100% more T3 ship! Next up are the ship objects such as lockers, seats etc.
    [​IMG]
    What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    Saint Apollyon likes this.
  10. derkaho

derkaho Void-Bound Voyager

I really love this mod. I am using the sheepgrills (best ♥), fishgrills (ichty) and slimegrills so far on my game.
    Very happy with it. And wow awesome new slimegirl hairs, slime anon is great.

Mhm, now having more sheepgrill hairs would be sweet. But since it's a /sbg/ community project that may not happen.

What I noticed was that the lack of a respawn animation seemed to crash the client for sheepgrills for me. (stuffed some default ones in to fix it)
    But yeah all in all great package.

Is there any way to get my hands on the new slimegrill hairs?

11. carriontrooper

Don't worry, last I heard from WoK he's planning on new Sheepgrill hairs as well. I suppose they'll be up next update, whenever WoK deems it fit I guess.
    And since the /sbg/ community seems to be very dead (no new threads for the last five days, and then again those threads are lacking in creative spirit), I guess this forum could be a good place to take advice/suggestions. What say you, WoK?

12. Wall of Knowledge

They're planned, but I haven't made very much headway on making them look decent yet. :zombie:

The respawn bug mentioned should be fixed (I'd have to check), but it and the slime hairs will be in the next patch, releasing with the next Stable or whenever I get a bunch of stuff done and get tired of waiting, whichever comes first.

I suppose I don't fundamentally mind taking suggestions here (as I mentioned previously, getting feedback has been somewhat difficult), but naturally decisions made there will take precedence over ones made here.

Have something mostly unrelated, as they're going to be in the new, secondary mod:
    tits.png

Lindazana likes this.
  13. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Ohmygosh. snakewomen/lamia, and harpies? You're now my favorite modder <3. Forget new flora and world types, you got monstergirls as playable races.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Wall of Knowledge likes this.
  14. carriontrooper

Wooooah, those new races look baller! Can't wait to see them. BTW, if you want, I can take a look at the hairs and maybe prettify them?
    Also, WoK, check the convo for new S-nosti stuff.

15. Wall of Knowledge

I'm flattered. :p But really, what's the point in having all of this race customization potential if you're not going to use it for monster girls? Pushing the humanoid envelope is fun, I just wish it weren't an egregious pain in the ass to make armor for unusual body types/in general.

The lamia aren't done yet, by the way- need to fuck around with frames files like I did with the harpies' wings, but I've got several ideas for races that I should be able to slap together before Stable updates if I don't slack off too much.

So far, everyone that isn't the Beldehor, sheep/slimegrills, or one of your races is using the default selection of hair. If you want to put together some prettier ones, be my guest! Also, here's the first tier armor for the Singularnosti, as requested:

snostit1.png
    *tips*

16. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

You might want to take a look at/talk to the author of the vespid race. They managed to find a way to slap armor onto the abdomen of the wasp-like race for each tier, with a very pleasing amount of variety. Though, it's possible the method used is the same that you know of, and it just took a crapton of work.

17. carriontrooper

Yep, looking into the Vespoid files, he did tailor the racial tiers to have abdominal armor - and yes, they are hard to make, crapton of work as you said.

WoK, I could try making some for the Ichtysians and Gamayun, although for the Gamayun I could use some direction as to what their culture resembles. Do you want them to have Greek-ish hair? Some floaty telekinetic hair?
    On the topic of Greek hairs, maybe I could draw up some stuff for the Harpies...

18. carriontrooper

BTW, WoK, check the SBG convo, I added some hairstyles for the Harpies based on ancient Greek hairdos.

19. Zafken

Zafken Void-Bound Voyager

Are the slime hairs available yet for us plebs?

20. carriontrooper

WoK holds the cards, and it seems like he haven't checked the convos lately... I'm worried.