1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gretchen

Gretchen Void-Bound Voyager

someone mentioned fishing. I've taken fishing to mastery level in every game that offered it. I rank fishing above pets.

2. lothies

lothies Orbital Explorer

I'm not really a fan of starting pets. I would be OK with that if it's only a cosmetic thing with no impact on gameplay.

EDIT: As others have said, an optional feature.

Flemm likes this.
  3. Internet

Internet Star Wrangler

I personally squealed when I saw "pet system"
    Honestly if it need a greater level of complication, add hybridization, add trading.... Make pets sort of a living collectible, the benefit you depending on which one they are.... Unno.
    Edit: Fishing! And maybe we can keep the fish in bowls in our houses? Maybe Hlotyls can fish for "sub level" (very far underwater" fish?

4. Brummhummel

Brummhummel Orbital Explorer

Whatever it'll be, with pets even my wife would start playing the game, which would be nice :)

KirasiN likes this.
  5. Cephalopod_Joe

Cephalopod_Joe Void-Bound Voyager

I like the pet idea because it's kind of like rescueing on of the animal species from your homeworld when you escape its destruction. That being said, if it comesdon to it, I'd much rather have one of the monster fusion/breeding systems listed above; it seems like itwould be pretty easy to implement, especially since most of the monsters are madeup of radom parts. If the starter pets do make it in, I'd like for them to have some sort of functionality beyond being vanity items (e.g. light, small buffs, etc.) and also for there to be multiple choices for each race (at least 3).

KirasiN likes this.
  6. Baconkid

Baconkid Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't.
    hehehehehehe

7. GreenStuff

GreenStuff Aquatic Astronaut

Indeed - nobody likes being spoiled in the beginning of an open world exploration game. It is more immersive, more fun to discover and get familiar with things like this in your own pace, picking this all up as you go.

8. Tsunbio

Tsunbio Void-Bound Voyager

If i can have a cute little poptop pet to skip around me and (sometimes) eat my friends i would be happy :poptop:

9. Chainsawer69

Chainsawer69 Space Spelunker

Rare supper bouncy material that you can jump on and go really high :DD

10. darethen

darethen Big Damn Hero

I for one am for this!!!
    a sort of Pokemon type monster tame and level/evolution type system!!!
    don't get me wrong, starter pets seem cool but they shouldn't have skills...

but if we do go with the starter pet idea, please no skills or lights or anything like that.

Chainsawer69 and lduffy like this.
  11. Flevalt

Flevalt Pangalactic Porcupine

What if one of your friends had an adult poptop?

12. Baconkid

Baconkid Subatomic Cosmonaut

Stay chill, I'm just kidding.
    Or am I?

13. Chainsawer69

Chainsawer69 Space Spelunker

Cloning lab that allows you to duplicate organic material? So instead of gathering loads of seeds for a plant you can use your hard earned organic cloner to reproduce more of the organic material! Could also probably have other purposes.

14. weleavefossils

weleavefossils Aquatic Astronaut

I think everyone would love the addition of pets. I like the idea of each race having their own type of pet. Agree with the mention of possible breading, trading, selling. If someone doesn't like the idea of pets, they can feed it to the planet savages!

15. DionysusDreams

DionysusDreams Aquatic Astronaut

Yes, starter pets please!

16. I still saying IF there is a Pet System I don't want it to be only Vanity of a cute thing following us to everywhere we go.

They must have some use, the system got potential, If it's going to be added and they say "hey you now have this that follows you around and that's it". I'm going to be disappointed...

KirasiN and Keadin like this.
  17. Boopitybop

Boopitybop Big Damn Hero

Wow 60 something pages in 10 hours, well theres no way I can read all that now but I am sure it has been stated somewhere in this thread pets are good idea but something has to be made up for it for those people that dont want pets/want to use pets all the time.

I am not entirely sure how the pet AI will work, but it is quite annoying when you forget to put your pet on passive triggering aggro. Perhaps pets can be sort of an item that take up an item slot. A few different items could also be placed in that slot that differ from pets. Therefore allowing those who dont want to use pets to be able to replace it with some type of utility or damaging boosting helper or item. Perhaps some time of small robot orb that heals or shoots lasers (pet) could also be formed as a glove that can be activated to heal or shoot out laser as well. The glove would do more damage of course because it was an activated ability instead of an automated one. This would favor skill based players of course (which is not something I actually like), but its also a system that can be commonly found in other games which is one reason it works. ALTHOUGH I find it quite dull and repetitive I believe there is probably a way you (the dev team) can figure out how to make pets more interesting and especially balanced.

One of my ideas comes from a game called Ragnarok. You can catch the mob and use it as a pet or you kill the mob which gives a chance to drop a card that can give you an attribute/skill for that mob. I think thats a good way for people who dont want to use pets to also maintain balance. I dont know how that could be applied in starbound because monster generation is random but maybe it can be bound to certain monster parts or pregenerated animals.

I have a strong feeling this has been written already or something similar is written in this thread. Anyway thats my feedback.

:cool:

18. gamer3145

gamer3145 Void-Bound Voyager

After hanging around on the subreddit as well, i know a bunch of people who would love this to be the next streach goal :)
    Maybe something like this game.
    http://www.megghy.com/immagini/Psx/FICHE M/COVERS/Monster_Rancher_Pal.jpg
    Where you have 2 chambers, and after taming 2 monsters you put them in the chambers, pay a certain amount of ore or currency, and then splice them together to use some of their attributes to make a new race :D
    I still like pets, but I definitely love the ideas associated with taming monsters alot, and I would love if it was expanded upon into a full part of the game. I know that once we gain the ability to mod, there may be more content aplenty :D so I'm not worried if it isn't in the main game, but I'd love to have that chucklefish touch on it.
    Thanks for making an awesome game!

KirasiN and darethen like this.
  19. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

Exactly my thoughts. I also feel they shouldn't be starter pets as such. Maybe you can get a race-specific pet early on, through a quest or something, but not right away. And you should be able to then encounter and capture additional pets through regular gameplay.

20. Cephalopod_Joe

Cephalopod_Joe Void-Bound Voyager

An evolution/maturation thing would be cool too...since you've already predesigned the parts, you could have certain parts that change/improove as the monsters level up. Or maybe something like a worm creature where certain parts of the worm (legs, segments, feathers, etc.) correspond to what insect features it would have when it matures. But somethign that stays a worm would be cool, too...

Boese and Silverforte like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.