1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timbre

Timbre Void-Bound Voyager

I'd love to see a good, full blown mech system.

2. tone00hi

tone00hi Aquatic Astronaut

maybe having a certain pet will make certain monsters to be friendly with you, or the opposite, totally aggressive, or even feel fear of your pet and there for leave you alone??

Dog- cats run away -canine animals (wolfs, sorta dogs thingys) wont attack you or attack you less depending on the pets lvl -big cats wild animals attack you more frequently because of your dog pet

3. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Just for bragging rights, its the internet after all.

4. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think you can customize them - as of now, from what I understand it's just getting the mech, but not individually selecting parts

EstebanWinsmore likes this.
  5. Kyber

Kyber Phantasmal Quasar

Unless they treat the vote as a trial, hung jury my friend.

6. Chocodile

Chocodile Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hover bikes and some other vehicle are conceptualized but not implemented according to the roadmap.

7. DontheDon

DontheDon Void-Bound Voyager

Personally it is an amazing idea. Plus each race having a specific pet would just add a whole new reason to play that race. Personally I am game on whatever you guys choose. This game already blew my mind onto my ceiling like 6 months ago. :metroid:

capchu likes this.
  8. Iznano4nik

Iznano4nik Big Damn Hero

plz no Pets....Mech are better:geek:

Zeon likes this.
  9. Zeon

Zeon Contact!

seeing this has brought back some amazing memories, yes please this idea is rockin.

10. IllusiveEnergy

IllusiveEnergy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed Mechs in the Q&A section.

11. The Marvelous Magoon

The Marvelous Magoon Big Damn Hero

That's real easy.

Slap a splash screen reading, "The following represents a game currently in development and does not necessarily reflect the final product" before the game and you're golden.

It's worked just fine for plenty of games before it.

12. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

[​IMG]
    Mech's have been long confirmed

13. Nomicakes

Nomicakes Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What people seem to be forgetting, is that this isn't Kickstarter.
    The stretch goals here aren't extra superawesome rewards sent to you in the mail for helping fund a project.

Try to keep that in mind before you loose your verbal sphincter on the efforts of the devs.
    And this is coming from someone who bought Diamond tier.

andySp and Beninator like this.
  14. Shahab

Shahab Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i think it should be something more interesting.
    we already can tame animals.
    tamed animals + starter pet seems too much to me.

15. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

Can you customize and change them though? That would be a better improvement for them

16. IrradiatedFish

IrradiatedFish Master Chief

I understand where you're coming from, but it actually could be detrimental to early gameplay balance depending on how they are implemented. If they're added as a vanity type of addition, or purely cosmetic, then it's fine, no problem :). However, if they have functionality, then we could potentially have an issue. Many people wouldn't want a pet, and if someone chose not to have one, their character would immediately be at a disadvantage to someone who did have one.

I'm fine with pets in general though.

I'm also fine with *starting* pets as long as they're optional and functionless.

I'm fine with them perhaps gaining function later-on as an upgrade of sorts, but after reading some suggestions in this thread, I'm scared we could wind up with some potentially unbalanced early game abilities :eek:!

capchu likes this.
  17. Draks

Draks Subatomic Cosmonaut

18. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

$41.... Everyone else is doing it, I just want to be popular.

Edit: I want 4 turtles, and train them in martial arts...

19. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

Less than 50$ now.

20. Azkhandur

Azkhandur Orbital Explorer

There's ONE thing that's on my mind and this is more important than you might think.

I would strongly suggest that you are given the option of having your pet help you out in combat or not. Maybe you can poke around your pet's brain at your ship/base and change their behaviour to an aggressive one or make them docile. Or maybe just a simple menu/commands

It's important because there are those who don't like to have pets/companions that help in combat (some are loners :p) and others would think it completely useless to have a pet that can't hit or get hit by enemies and monsters.
    Also, if you have them non-combat make them super CUTE! Maybe they can play with the vegetation or be useful in other areas such as exploration, sniff out certain materials or even silly things like poop on a dead enemy or something, HAHA ^_^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.