1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jglitch

jglitch Aquatic Astronaut

Its out for family and friends the best idea would be to release it and take community responces and advice to finish the game in a matter that would complete the game in a perfect manner

2. Myronastar

Myronastar Void-Bound Voyager

Wow i really like this idea

EstebanWinsmore and Zeon like this.
  3. Naupz

Naupz Void-Bound Voyager

A giant "think-tank" with the community only minutes before we reach our current stretch goal - I love it :DD

4. Ninja_Robbie

Ninja_Robbie Void-Bound Voyager

As long as I can have a Squirtle.

5. Kyber

Kyber Phantasmal Quasar

749,645... I think we're about to find out what the next goal is. I'm hoping that there was a plan B up their sleeves...

6. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

I have a feeling some people are holding out on buying so they can be the ones to reach the goal!

Zeon, c2h5oc2h5 and Ken_Chihuly like this.
  7. c2h5oc2h5

c2h5oc2h5 Phantasmal Quasar

No way, I won't be able to preorder before 30th this month, so beta definitely cannot start before 1st May :p.

8. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

And pets was the red herring all along

9. BenKo

BenKo Master Chief

>$200 :)

10. SuperMandrew

SuperMandrew Cosmic Narwhal

Instead of pets: customizable mechs, similar to ones in Megaman X! ..I should be a poet.

[​IMG]

11. IndieGamerRid

IndieGamerRid Zero Gravity Genie

I'd like to see pet creature abilities as a 1-mil. stretch goal. Like being able to carry items or having the players be able to ride some, depending on their generated attributes. We've already seen mechs and other vehicles, but I'd like to see pets be a tad more functional. On that note, I feel like these little guys shouldn't be non-combat unless they serve another function.

EDIT: Breeding! How could I forget breeding? That would make a great stretch goal!

12. IReallyHateYouPeople

IReallyHateYouPeople Pangalactic Porcupine

except they don't need a plan B, the poll is going for yes

13. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

You know, stretch goals are there to add features as early as possible before post-game because they wouldn't be able to do it during beta and early release. i'd like to see a list of features that wouldn't make it in during beta then being able to choose from them.

diaspao likes this.
  14. Naupz

Naupz Void-Bound Voyager

I wouldn't be surprised if it hopped a couple thousand right after we hit 750k. I'd guess quite a lot of people are doing this :p

15. Killthee

Killthee Poptop Tamer

This. Vanity pets seem pointless when we already have combat ready space monsters by our side.

BarxBaron likes this.
  16. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

I like how everyone suddenly stops posting, as they are all on the Pre-order page watching.

17. UrbanVermin

UrbanVermin Intergalactic Tourist

I like the idea so long as pets aren't tied to specific races. However, I'd really like the post on the site explains the pets to include a mock up of all the races pet options.

18. shadowcrazy

shadowcrazy Phantasmal Quasar

that doesn't really make any sense...unless they've said something where the one single person who reaches the goal gets the stretch goal or some prize.

19. Patchouli

Patchouli Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...Don't those already exist?

20. Barbatus

Barbatus Master Chief

I wouldn't mind pets, but they don't seem all that exciting either. I like the idea of gene splicing too, but as someone else pointed out, the game already combines monsters. Being able to make your own would lessen some of the excitement of seeing a new one to capture. So why not combine the ideas?

Capturing monsters and experimenting on them would give you access to genetic structures to add to your pets. That way, you're not just creating customized monsters, but looking for traits to improve your specific, ever changing pet.

You capture a monster, take it to your geneticist NPC, and allow him to experiment. He tells you that he's unlocked a new genetic trait that will allow your pet, Mr. Cuddles, to lay his eggs in the skulls of your enemies. You can choose which traits to incorporate and which to discard. You could have combat traits, like allowing your pet to help in battle; passive traits, like making your pet glow as a light source; and of course, appearance traits. It would turn your pet into an adorable, self contained, version of the zerg.

I'm not sure how this would work with or undermine the existing monster capture system. Maybe you could make the pet's combat abilites more supportive in nature, or less powerful. And I don't know how difficult this would be to impliment. Anything that postpones Starbound's release should be destroyed. But I love the idea of exploring the galaxy with my own personalized mutant, and I would enjoy it more than merely collecting or choosing from different sprites to follow you around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.