1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadedBlade

ShadedBlade Phantasmal Quasar

2. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

Relax, i know it's not the real guy :p

3. Ken_Chihuly

Ken_Chihuly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds spectular
    Sounds amazing
    Sounds splendiferusly sweet

But my opinion of it depends on the amount the goal is set to.
    And if goals are becoming a problem to think of, without delaying anything because of it.
    How about this one being the last goal? I mean, do we really need more?
    I'm surprised any sort of goal was set.

EddyOkapi likes this.
  4. Cloudpiercer

Cloudpiercer Aquatic Astronaut

Oh, 35 was a number I came up with assuming each race would have 5 choices. Not sure where I got 5 pet options per race though lol.

Coonix likes this.
  5. IllusiveEnergy

IllusiveEnergy Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about the pet gives you tips on how to play? :)

tone00hi and Mooninaut like this.
  6. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Pets that don't serve a functional purpose of some kind would feel very shabby for a stretch goal.

They don't have to actively contribute to combat, but if they could hold an item and deliver it to another person on the same planet, that would be AWESOME. For example, you'd give the pet an item, then select from a list of other players on the planet. The pet would run off screen, despawn, the spawn on the receiving end and deliver the item. It could take a variable amount of time to spawn for the other player, like maybe 2-3 minutes, then another 2-3 minutes to come back. Maybe it could even take items back to your base and free up inventory space, one item every five minutes or so. It would be a nice little novelty.

The ideal scenario is that at some point, pets that can be used in combat (or even a class that focuses on using a team of pets) would be nice if they were implemented at some point, even if it was post-release.

capchu likes this.
  7. Casm

Casm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay, my advice is to keep starter pets as the next stretch goal.

Make the next stretch goal 850,000 as opposed to 1,000,000.

This way, starter pets make it in and gives you guys (and us) time to come up with another idea for the $1,000,000 goal.

Mooninaut likes this.
  8. Shrikevin

Shrikevin Void-Bound Voyager

Definitely don't hate it, I guess I was just pumped for something like Fossils that is ... findable? Pets are a great addition nonetheless and I'm sure you guys will implement it really well!

I guess some people will say "you can find pets!" but I would then specify my "findable" items to loot and customization options.

If you can custo pets then I'll consider myself served

9. Mooninaut

Mooninaut Void-Bound Voyager

PETS YES PETS YES

my precious

/me strokes his robot tribble

10. StarshiyLeytenant

StarshiyLeytenant Cosmic Narwhal

I personally think this should be the last stretch goal, so that way you guys can stoop worrying about what to do next and concentrate more on the game... so I can stop checking my email and have sads.

11. SkrittKing

SkrittKing Starship Captain

They are fine with me. However they if they have some purpose, point, or function, other than aesthetic that would be great.

Also the ability to "put them away" would be nice.

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  12. Captain Malcolm

Captain Malcolm Big Damn Hero

we are almost to the next goal...
    just saying

13. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

Maybe the pets could be the tool you use to uncover the fossils. I don't mean they dig it out for you, you just rub them all over it to scrub the dirt off.

14. Kreg

Kreg Subatomic Cosmonaut

15. Phoedaen

Phoedaen Yeah, You!

I always thought we could tame animals for pets, or that idea was there. Cute starter pets are good though! I really like the idea, if it's stretch goal or nothing Yay! However, I'd just like it to be in the game anyway you know? I really want pets. :p

16. Kyber

Kyber Phantasmal Quasar

There's nothing wrong with a little companionship when starting an overwhelming quest through the stars. Honestly the development of this game has exceeded my expectations by lightyears thus far, and I speak for a lot of us when saying we appreciate the attention to detail that has been put into the fun-factor that a lot of developers miss. Keep trucking ya'll!

17. The Marvelous Magoon

The Marvelous Magoon Big Damn Hero

1 mil for instant beta.

believe.

pets are neat also

Zobah and IllusiveEnergy like this.
  18. tone00hi

tone00hi Aquatic Astronaut

yay with a few suggestions:

- have clothes for my pet, so that I can change it's appearance
    - have the pet grow from an infant into an adult version (i.e. kitten to tiger)
    - have pet carry things like the pets in torchlight
    - it would be cool to have my pet carry a light or be a light
    - the pets have their own behaviors like sleeping, rolling around, lifting their legs, etc.
    - hit a key that orders your pets will pickup all items on the screen and return them to you
    - pet furniture or other items that they can interact with
    - pet store to change/buy pets

please read this guy ideas i think this would make the pets very usefull at least on the beggining of the game, and also you may have the option to switch when you are able to capture other monsters or lvl it up by attacking or fusion it with other animal cells.

also i think every starter should have a type of skills, like one is helper, other healer, other a walking storage, other a fighter, other a searcher. that kinda stuff :3

Mooninaut likes this.
  19. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

petition to filter the word 'beta' into 'hot pockets'

andySp, EddyOkapi, MetaSieg and 2 others like this.
  20. IllusiveEnergy

IllusiveEnergy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Great idea, a special one day Alpha or something. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.