1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Important Stretch Goal Thoughts -- Pets?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Pets as a stretch goal?

1. Yay!

1,534 vote(s)
    64.9%
  2. Nay!

827 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ingwaz

Ingwaz Big Damn Hero

While I like the basic idea of this, some people, like myself, are simply not creative writers and either wouldn't write in this, or wouldn't want to really show it off.

Yoshinom likes this.
  2. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i think some people who voted yay simply could have thought that without the goal we wouldn't get pets until post release.

JackOfAllTrades, Rarity, Zeon and 2 others like this.
  3. doc Chicken

doc Chicken Void-Bound Voyager

I'm all for pets but not for 250,000 as others have previously stated. Personally the Creature Splicing idea is a great addition for a sci fi themed game such as this. Would be awesome to see some of the results in game if it were to happen.

Pachydermus and Silverforte like this.
  4. Relyte

Relyte Subatomic Cosmonaut

I think it'd be really awesome! I'm down for them!

5. Nymz

Nymz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I feel like companion pets should come later. The point of stretch goal's are to get something that people want to see day 1 and not in a patch a few weeks down the road. To me, I feel like it would be lackluster and filling the spot of something else more deserving.

Not to say pets aren't worth it, or that i'm not excited about them -- I definitely am. But if they're to fill the roll, how about give them other purposes besides looking pretty? MapleStory pets, for example, can be equipped with various items that allow pets to walk like 10 feet away from the player to pick up items/money. If added, it'd be nice to see them serve a purpose other than cosmetic. :)

6. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

That's true. Oh... what if they're posting "stretch goals" for things they've already finished? Sneaky. :)

Drakol likes this.
  7. andySp

andySp Sandwich Man

Something I really love about this game is the atmosphere. The lonely feeling of being stranded on a planet and mining cold, dark caves by yourself. At least for the beginning of the game.

I think adding starter pets would break this atmosphere. I think the first few hours of the game should be spent by yourself. It would create a much stronger immersion just having you explore your first planet by yourself, just scraping by with supplies and struggling to survive. If pets were added, I'd like them to be added on like the second or third planet you explore. It would be like an active event you come across eg. finding it cornered in a cave and fending itself off from monsters, or you save it from a tree or something.

I think it creates a much stronger effect having you spend a bit of the game by yourself, and then suddenly you come across this cute pet that diminishes the lonely factor and acts as a bright beacon in a dark tunnel, to put it metaphorically. :p

8. Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

But... no one said it's supposed to be a $250k (1m) goal. I suspect it will be a $50k or at best $100k goal.

capchu, ErekoseDM, Drakol and 3 others like this.
  9. TheAscended

TheAscended Void-Bound Voyager

It seems logical that if even a minority of fans are in favor of having an accessory companion following them around then it should be implemented; so long as there's an option to go without one if the majority is uninterested. Personally.. nah. Unless the pet is evolving or doing something entertaining or useful to me as the player, then I'm not really too excited for the concept.

LazerEagle1 likes this.
  10. Biscuit Sawce

Biscuit Sawce Pangalactic Porcupine

PENGUIN PET GO GO GO! Would be nice to start off with a pet, since your homeworld got destroyed and you have a living memory of it left.

11. Chocodile

Chocodile Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know about you but I rarely, if ever, sit down and read books in a game. I especially wouldn't stop playing the game so I could read someone else's in-game diary when I could be blowing something up.

The only real use for such a thing would be to hide hints for a puzzle in a usermade dungeon or something.

Pie4Pigs likes this.
  12. Are there any opportunities for expansion in the spaceship customization route?

e.g. hulls

13. Dr. Chaos

Dr. Chaos Void-Bound Voyager

Nay.

I couldn't care less about the starter pets with monster taming already available.

Why would I want a vanity pet when I already have a more uniquely generated companion that can actually save my character's life?

HammerMagic likes this.
  14. Garkarus

Garkarus Space Penguin Leader

If it's a $50k - (maybe) $100k goal, then that seems reasonable imo.

Testraloss and Rekalty like this.
  15. Drakol

Drakol Space Hobo

Paranoia ? Paranoia is only Paranoia when the premise is false. If there could be truth in it, what is it then? - Didn't someone else already say they put away their Tinfoil hat.
    Overall, I think most people voting Yes are just voting in response to the question - but not actually thinking about anything other than "OMG! It's cute and if we make the stretch goal, I can have one!"

16. Naupz

Naupz Void-Bound Voyager

I like the DNA splicing/creature breeding idea the best.

17. Kreg

Kreg Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about the FTL style combat for 1mil?

(yes, I know this isnt supposed to be a 1mil stretch goal, just saying)

ErekoseDM likes this.
  18. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

I just meant stuff they'd do after initial release. Stuff still for everyone.

19. Demonlord

Demonlord Tentacle Wrangler

I definitely feel like it should be a robust pet system if it is going to be implemented (perhaps finding eggs and other youth forms of pets and growing them to adulthood would be great) also being able to add mods or items to the pets that enhance your character such as inventory slots or shielding or something like that would be great. Whatever you decide to do we will enjoy the game!

ErekoseDM likes this.
  20. EstebanWinsmore

EstebanWinsmore Orbital Explorer

These little walking cosmetics aren't worth more than 25k.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.