1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Steampunk

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Yaxlat, Feb 19, 2013.

?

Steampunk?

1. Yes, the next race should be steampunk!

28 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Yes, but not a race.

42 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. I don't really care.

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. NO!

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. .:FancyPants:.

.:FancyPants:. Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, we are talking about an entire universe here, so I would think that somewhere, some life form has evolved to a steampunk-like era.

Yaxlat likes this.
  2. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Look, I don't spend my waking hours scouring the internet on every tidbit on an area of interest that I have little interest in. My exposure to it has been like 90% Japanese anime, how would I not think that when it's mostly what I see? Yes, you could say it's ignorant (if you take out your condescending tone?) since it really just means I don't know bettter...I suppose I don't, because I don't care to pursue it. YET. There's a ton of anime out there, and I've noticed a large interest in steampunk elements over the years in it (Last Exile, Howl's Moving Castle, Full Metal Alchemist, Steamboy, Laputa, Samurai 7 to name a few popular ones). But honestly, my disdain for most anime shouldn't have to tarnish my idea on steampunk, but I just haven't seen as much of a "western interest" in it. I don't get exposed to it much. The rest of what I've seen it in has been along the lines of FF7 and bits and bobs appearing in other games. Unless, of course, you consider the newer Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. to be steampunk, then that and FF7 have been good. Damn good, and I like what I saw. Like I said, I don't dislike steampunk, I'm just thinking I'm going to need some true steampunk that impresses more that the cliches I've seen in my travels on the interwebs, which are many.

3. What you have seen is merely the tip of the iceberg. This is from a person who has a large exposure to anime.

4. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Do you mean the tip of the iceberg on how much steampunk fiction in general there is out there, or how much steampunk anime there is? I'd be interested if there was some cool stuff that's non-anime. From my list, I haven't seen much of any of those except Howl's Moving Castle (which I mostly likes...Miyazaki tends to be an exception for me, especially Princess Mononoke) and Steamboy, and those are actually both pretty good. But as a whole, I'm not into anime.

Does anyone feel like Sherlock Holmes and Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows are fairly steampunk? That's what I envision some steampunk to be, a style "locked" in the steam era, with intricate and often advanced technology that still follows the retro style and sometimes limitations of said era.

5. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

It's not outdated technology, it's retro-futuristic technology. Basically modern technology as the people of that time may have seen it today. If you've ever seen one of those "what life will be like in the year 2000" articles from 50+ years ago with the Jetsons-esque flying cars, it's that sort of thing. With this in mind, there's no reason why we can't have a space-worthy steampunk dirigible or some fancy retro lightning guns. Now I want both of those things in the game...

I guess my point is, it's a style, not a technological limitation.

6. What I mean was that if you say that the amount of steampunk found in anime is a rather large portion, then you haven't seen anything yet.

And by that, I mean you have just witnessed a small number of anime. Good taste though.

7. Blackleaf

Blackleaf Oxygen Tank

Steampunk whould be good but theres alot of other much more underated "Punks" out there that could be used.
    Clockpunk,Wasteland punk,Magipunk.
    ALL DEM PUNKS.

8. Legend of Korra also had a steampunk setting, I believe.

9. More like Magi-punk IMO

10. It's not MAGIC, it's BENDING.

11. Ok, Bendi-punk then:giggle:

12. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

A race doesn't make sense. I mean human civilization invented steampunk, so technically WE ARE THE STEAMPUNK RACE.
    Although being into that stuff myself, I'd absolutely fan over armour and gear based around it.

13. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Find a guitar and pull the strings with a gear?

14. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

I think I'm just thinking about it too much. Seeing that the production of an External Combustion Engine requires a certain level of intelligence, you would think a society using them to power everything could easily develop advanced things once being introduced to them.

For example, take two societies: an Industrial-age England, and Ancient Egypt. Given a simple aircraft or spaceship, the Egyptians could possibly pilot and even reproduce it (to a limited extent), but the Victorians could learn from it, and use it to produce better technologies, making their steam engines obsolete.

But then again, Steampunk never really has been about efficiency or practicality, huh?

I don't think a Race would be the best way to handle it, maybe a planet, or just some random decorative items would be nice.

I don't necessarily NEED to see Steampunk in Starbound, but I wouldn't mind it either.

I'm sort of indifferent. :/

15. Corrupt Ai

Corrupt Ai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ooh, I like me some clockpunk. That is definitely hard to get right though.

16. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I don't know why so many people liked steampunk, i don't like it at all.

17. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

It's not like pepole like steampunk.Pepole like cannons,physic screwing scaffoldings and clockworks.

Yaxlat likes this.
  18. It looks that way because that's one way to look at it. Take a look at the Florans. They reverse-engineer them in order to use the materials for their advantage. Does that make any of their current technology obsolete? Does that ruin their "tribal" culture? It certainly does not. If it did, they wouldn't fit in the game now, would they?

The point is that advanced technology being introduced to an older race doesn't mean that it will replace any of the machines. But it certainly means it will improve their machines.

Steam powered rocket boosters? Steam powered jet turbines? Steam powered Space shuttles? They seem way out of this world, because it is.

PS: I'll say this again. Steampunk isn't always just based off of the victorian times. The term is extremely flexible and can be used on even the most advanced technologies [not just slapping gears on it and adding exhausts then calling it steampunk]. You can "steampunk"-ify anything and everything you can think of, given you have the imagination to do so.

blind sniper and Yaxlat like this.