Stealth Capabilities

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alternal, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Should stealth be an implemented mechanic?

1. All the way!

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. No need.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

So being the sneaky person that I am, I was wondering if we're going to get kind of a stealth feature, or if there's one implemented already.

And not just something like cloaking devices, I'm talking like actual stealth. Your character could do kind of a crouch walk (And yes I'm thinking of Skyrim), and doing a hit while hidden does critical damage. This would be an easier feature to do in single player, but what about multiplayer?

I was thinking it could go along the lines of:
    Your sneaking capabilities, 1% - 100%, would directly influence your character's transparency. So obviously having 100% invisibility wouldn't be fair in both modes, so maybe cap it at about 90%.
    And for this to work right, so you could spot sneaking players, you would need to look where they are for a one second buffer before you see them 0% transparent. Therefore the sneaking person gets a second to get out of your sight, and you can still spot them.
    On top of that, shining a flash light and other concentrated light source on a sneaking player will make them 0% transparent to everyone, so they're kinda screwed. :)

The reason I think this would be a sick feature is because a lot of people like to take things slowly, and not rush in with a massive Gatling gun. And plus it could create some awesome space-ninja clans., you could all sneak in a building, wait for another team, and ambush. It makes for some epic role-playing as well.

So what do you think? Anything I missed?

Space0tters! ! likes this.
  2. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

In the announced game info, stealth is confirmed were you can sneak past enemies.

3. Alternal

Yeahhh! That makes me pretty damn happy. Was there any info about sneaking criticals or anything like that?

4. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Not too sure but that would be epic.

5. Alternal

Indeed, I also wanted to include how it would work in multiplayer because that would be a little difficult to implement :p

6. Owl24

Owl24 Big Damn Hero

I was thinking that you could only see players in front of you, when they would walk, their transparency goes down( based on the material they're walking on, and their speed.) and sound traps like soda cans to wet sand(for footprints.) to pressure sensitive floors.

Maybe you sneak in the backround to avoid bumping into other players, like in lone survivor, and when you move you transfer to the main layer?

7. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

That I think would do it, but the things the devs would have too do would be too big.

8. Alternal

Footprints would be pretty impossible to do. And moving into the background would require a lot of coding, plus that's kinda cheap hiding back there.

9. Axelthegreat9

Axelthegreat9 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Personally, I like your idea for having the sneaking capabilities capped at 90%, that way no one's gonna be like TROLOLO I'M A NINJA STAB STAB STAB!!!! and there's always a bit of luck when it comes to sneaking, stepping on a twin that you didn't see, a person coming around a corner an a bad time, and so forth

10. Alternal

That's what I was going for :p
    I mean in the dark you'd be practically invisible, but in the light we need to give the other people a chance. If you aren't moving and are standing in front of like a bookshelf or something it would be harder to see you as well, so I think it all kinda comes together :)