1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion StarryPy - A plugin driven server wrapper written in Python.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Carrots Are Mediocre, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Bunnky

Bunnky Sandwich Man

Im getting this: (using the ActiveState)

Code:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Starbound\StarryPy-master>pypm install -r requirements.txt

ImportError: No module named site

C:\Program Files (x86)\Starbound\StarryPy-master>

2. Stadl0r

Stadl0r Contact!

Just a bit more feedback. So far the plugin has been running for 12hr. Ive noticed the planet_protect plugin really reduces the performance of the server, but after disabling experienced no lag. Another bug I`ve experienced is, often players get disconnected and when trying to reconnect, the *unknown server version* appears occasionally. This is on a 50 slot Linux (CentOS) server

overall this plugin is awesome and well needed in the server community! Please keep the updates coming!

3. Carrots Are Mediocre

Carrots Are Mediocre Zero Gravity Genie

Make sure you're using the 32-bit version of ActiveState. If you are not, uninstall the 64 bit and install 32.

All I can tell is that there's a problem with your path variable; I don't know how to fix that personally as I'm not a windows guy, but it can be googled.

I'll look at the planet protect thing, strange that it would be throwing it off. I'll do some profiling and see what's hanging it up. I've noticed some of the reconnection issues as well, and I'm working on those.

4. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

We keep getting extremely severe lag in chat and errors like this one:

Code:
    2014-01-29 22:54:04,836 - starrypy.plugin_manager.PluginManager - ERROR - Error in plugin <Plugin instance: player_manager (version .1)> with function after_connect_response.
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/home/starbound/steam/starbound/StarryPy/plugin_manager.py", line 140, in do
        res = getattr(plugin, command, lambda _: True)(data)
      File "/home/starbound/steam/starbound/StarryPy/core_plugins/player_manager/plugin.py", line 50, in after_connect_response
        self.protocol.transport.getHost().host))
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 842, in getHost
        host, port = self.socket.getsockname()[:2]
    AttributeError: 'Server' object has no attribute 'socket'
    Is there anything we can do?

We're on Linux x64

EDIT: it spammed messages of banned players trying to connect btw, and it was hardly possible to get on the server.

EDIT2: Could you please make it so starting the wrapper will also start the main server automatically? Would save a hastle :p

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  5. SloanReynolds

SloanReynolds Starship Captain

"pypm install pip" says I have to purchase ActivePython Business Edition... is there a way around that? :/

Also thank you very much for updated install instructions. Very helpful!

EDIT: Downloaded and installed pip directly...

6. Carrots Are Mediocre

I'm getting similar errors, I am trying to fix whatever it is. Thank you for the report.

Yeah, sorry about that, only the Win32 version has a free repository. Luckily StarryPy uses very little ram so there's no need for a 64bit version. I'll update my install directions to reflect it being necessary to use the 32bit.

7. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Let me know when you got something :)

8. SloanReynolds

While logging into the server, I get a "Join failed! Error connecting to 'serveraddress:21024'" error. When i put it 21025 manually as the port, I get a invalid server version...

9. Carrots Are Mediocre

Alrighty, that should fix the issue. Pull the new version from github. And now if it rejects a connection, it properly gives a reason to the client.

I'm working on other similar reports. In most of the situations I've found it has been a configuration error, but there have been a few cases of Windows' networking being at fault. Give me a little while and I'll send you a PM so we can work out what's happening with yours.

10. SloanReynolds

Actually it was an ID 10 T error, I didn't open the starbound server. I just figured the wrapper would automatically open the server. But now I have yet another question(Aren't I awesome?) If you enter the server without a port it'll connect to the server, bypassing StarryPy. I'd rather not have to have my players input the :21025 at the end. i guess if I have to I have to, but is this normal behavior atm?

11. Carrots Are Mediocre

That's likely only on your local end. When you change the configuration file for the server, it also affects the game client. So if you have gameport=21024 in starbound.config then your game will try to use the same port to connect. Other people will try to connect to 21025 from their computers by default, unless they have modified their configuration file.

My recommendation is to copy the starbound folder+server to another location to run the server so it won't conflict with the game itself. Hopefully at some point they'll give us different options for game and server ports.

12. Hexicube

Hexicube Star Wrangler

You could go into the server.py file and search for 21025 (at the bottom of the file) and change it to another number.

13. Bunnky

Bunnky Sandwich Man

Uninstalling and reinstalling worked. Thanks! However, Im getting the invalid server version error now like some of the other users.. I've tried messing with the ports and all... nothing works :(

14. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Okay so we tried it, and it works well now, but it still gives errors:
    Code:
    starrypy.player_manager.manager - INFO - Adding new player with name: Minibot
    2014-01-30 00:13:18,318 - starrypy.plugin_manager.PluginManager - ERROR - Error in plugin <Plugin instance: player_manager (version .1)> with function after_connect_response.
      File "/home/starbound/steam/starbound/StarryPy/plugin_manager.py", line 140, in do
      File "/home/starbound/steam/starbound/StarryPy/core_plugins/player_manager/plugin.py", line 77, in after_connect_response
      File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/twisted/internet/tcp.py", line 842, in getHost
    2014-01-30 00:13:18,417 - starrypy.plugin.new_player_greeter_plugin - INFO - Gave starter items to Minibot.
    2014-01-30 00:13:20,142 - starrypy - INFO - Created StarryPyServerProtocol with UUID 350d494a82414df79b816ccd5d973403
    2014-01-30 00:13:20,360 - starrypy.player_manager.manager - INFO - Adding new player with name: o0HayFever0o
    2014-01-30 00:13:21,301 - starrypy - INFO - Created StarryPyServerProtocol with UUID 538cb8fe181e4574bf2fb873da54b131
    2014-01-30 00:13:22,002 - starrypy.plugin_manager.PluginManager - ERROR - Error in plugin <Plugin instance: player_manager (version .1)> with function after_connect_response.
      File "/home/starbound/steam/starbound/StarryPy/core_plugins/player_manager/plugin.py", line 77, in after_connect_response
    It doesn't crash though, just these errors for now on player join, and the occasional lagspike from the issue with vanilla servers.

15. Carrots Are Mediocre

Yup, we've just fixed those issues on the development branch. I'll be pushing to master after some more testing.

16. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Okay awesome!

Also a small request: could you make it so the server starts automatically with the wrapper? It would save some hassle with setting it all up and such :p

EDIT: I've noticed something else, there's very heavy lag at the beginning when new connections are being made, then when everybody is playing it works smoothly again. It lags on rejoining too for example. It doesn't lag on rejoin, only on new connections.

Could this be because of the vanilla server bug, or is it related to an issue with the wrapper?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  17. SloanReynolds

Everything's working swimmingly, for the most part. Thank you very much for this awesome plugin and for all your help! :)

I have a request though: Is it possible to list only the commands in /help that the players have permissions for?

18. plzt

plzt Seal Broken

This is what I'm getting.. Configs look identical also

19. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Yes, it was a planned feature for some days now, but we pushed that back a little. Thanks for reminding!

Archer likes this.
  20. Maffi

Maffi Astral Cartographer

Did you actually starbound_server?! Please try to connect your game client to "127.0.0.1:21024"