1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Closed Stardew Valley Multiplayer: Known Issues & Fixes

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katzeus, Aug 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

I had this issue and posted it either here or the randomness thread, but after looking all around for her and trying to match her schedule with the wiki, I went back to the carpenter's shop and found her in bed still. 20180815221132_1.jpg

I haven't purchased many of the furniture/blueprints for vanity-type items within the first couple years as they weren't needed but now as I'm in third year and making good, steady income with a fully upgraded home, I've been starting to decorate a little. The country lamp is one of the early sources of light (that isn't a torch, lamp post or brazier) that is a nice, small size for the home to put on a small table. I'm wondering if there's a way to turn the light on/off as it's nearly always off when I go into the house in the evening. My main fireplace seems to light the house fine as night comes, but I have to pick up/set down the lamp just to make it illuminate.
    Not sure if this has always been the case since the lighting objects that are fire-based are basically always on unless doused and the lamp is essentially electricity or battery powered, simulating a real-life situation to have to turn it on manually.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
      Andunelen likes this.
    • tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Hi everyone, we're testing out some optimisations and performance fixes in v1.3.29 on the beta branch right now. You'll need to re-enter the branch password (jumpingjunimos) to access it. It contains a few fixes for issues reported recently, but you should be aware that the optimisations might introduce a few new issues as well.
      • Experimental optimisations (might affect stability - expect 1.3.29 to be slightly less stable than other recent patches)
      • Fixed slimes not pouncing correctly
      • Fixed items-crafted stat being 0 after loading a file until you craft something again
      • Fixed rabbit's foot not affecting the breakup scene in non-English language modes

Sleeping Fox and Grimmturd like this.
      • DragonOmnus

DragonOmnus Void-Bound Voyager

CPU core 0 100% usage still needs to be fixed. This occurs within 10 seconds of loading a game, including version 1.3.29. The game isn't particularly playable while this occurs. BTW, my refresh rate is set to 5 seconds, so you're seeing several minutes straight of 100% CPU core 0 usage.

Attached Files:

• margotbean

margotbean Existential Complex

Regarding disappearing Robin:
          Two wiki editors changed Robin's schedule to indicate that she stays in bed all day. It was reported on Fall 11 and Summer 15. Sorry, I can't give more details, but apparently it is happening with some frequency.

Lights at night:
          While working in the greenhouse for several hours, I noticed it didn't get dark inside until I exited and re-entered the building (at 1am). Same with sheds. Singleplayer for both.

• Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

Chat notifications seem to be completely missing for me. I donated an item to the museum, finished a bundle and earned an achievement and neither displayed a message in chat. They do seem to work for my farmhand though. Playing on the newest version.

• Sleeping Fox

Sleeping Fox Void-Bound Voyager

Weeds outside the farm (Forest, Town, Railroad) still don't regrow in v1.3.28. At first I thought it was my own fault for cutting all weeds, but I recently started a new game where I left them alone. But then in Winter of Year 1 all of them disappeared and they didn't reappear in the next spring (or summer). This is weird because I'm pretty sure in an older save from v1.2 I still had weeds outside the farm in Year 4 or 5, but this is now impossible if they all disappear forever in the first Winter.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

"Stardew Valley: 12.5%" That sure seems normal to me.

• the_yeti

the_yeti Void-Bound Voyager

I wondered at that, but the folder structure seems to be owned by (myPC)\Administrators, of which my account is a member. Should I switch ownership to my account directly?

• DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

It's perfectly normal for a game to be doing that in general, but upon reading his/hers previous posts, the claim is that earlier versions weren't doing it which suggest something could indeed be wrong. Another user in this or the earlier threads suggested that unchecking CPU 0 from the process affinity list in task manager would fix the issue. So I did some experiments on my own, and the results did really surprise me.

If I run the game in Windowed or Fullscreen, I max out a single core (cpu thread). No lag or anything, and constant 60 FPS according to Steam overlay. If I run in Windowed Borderless (I have to switch to Windowed mode first to be able to select it), the game stays at 60 FPS while the cpu usage drops to near zero. Still no form of lag or anything though. I also tried the CPU affinity thing with Windowed and Fullscreen, and it does not seem to distribute the load among all my cores/cpu threads as the previous user noted, it rather seems to just greatly reduce the overall usage and move it to another core. I would not recommend doing this however as it may have all sorts of unexpected side effects and could possibly crash your game and/or corrupt your saves if unlucky.

As stated above, I did some experiments. For me, the cpu usage is highly dependent on graphics settings. I do see the 100% cpu on one core with some settings, but it does not cause lag for me. Anyway, the fact that it is affected by graphics settings suggests the problem is not in the game itself, but rather in XNA, DirectX, the driver or a combination thereof. Are you only seeing this on your machine with an AMD card? I have tried it on two machines with NVidia cards and one with Intel graphics, none of them have issues, but I have no AMD machine to test on. If yes, do you have any settings in your gpu control panel that may in any way affect Stardew Valley? Examples include stuff like power saving settings, framerate smoothing, force vsync on/off or other optimization settings. That includes settings made especially for SV or settings that affect the whole system. If you do, what happens if you disable/revert those settings?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2018
                    • DragonOmnus

DragonOmnus Void-Bound Voyager

Incorrect. That's 12.5% of OVERALL CPU usage, which over 8 cores is 100% of a single core (because 100/8=12.5), as clearly shown in the picture. I stated as much several times in my prior posts.

No, it isn't normal for any game or software to do this, despite your earlier claims. NO OTHER GAME OR SOFTWARE I have does this, with the SOLE exception of my video editing/transcoding software which actually needs such CPU usage. Oh, and old HP printer drivers which were terribly coded & caused this exact same problem. Adding the fact this never occurred prior to the multiplayer beta means there is something massively wrong with the game code since then. But, I will not waste any more of my time again explaining how incorrect you are. I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

Altering core affinity could fix the problem but it shouldn't be on the users to do such a thing AND that doesn't solve the problem, it only alleviates the symptom. The devs must fix the problem with their coding.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
                      • Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Please avoid doubleposts especially after such a short time. If you wanna make additions to your previous post simply edit your post instead.

@DragonOmnus
                        Also keep it civil here. I can totally understand that it can be frustrating when you're running into problems with the game but hostile behaviour toward other users will lead to nothing except getting the staffs attention.
                        If you wanna point out that someone is wrong there are other ways to do that. I edited your last post.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@tccoxon I have SMAPI mostly updated for 1.3.29 beta, but there are two minor issues:
                          • Can you remove the Console.WriteLine in static SerializableDictionary, or use Debug.WriteLine instead? It happens before SMAPI starts intercepting console output, so it'll be confusing to players. If not I'll rewrite the console interception to happen much earlier, though that'd be pretty messy.
                          • Can you make Game1._farmerShadows protected instead of private? That way SMAPI won't need reflection to change the Draw method.
                          (Thanks for your continued improvements!)

Attached Files:

tccoxon likes this.
                          • Faeryheart

Faeryheart Weight of the Sky

My farmhand and me always fall to different floors when jumping down a shaft. I hope that's a bug and not a feature as it makes exploring the skull cavern together basically impossible :/

• DvDmanDT

DvDmanDT Tentacle Wrangler

"I have never seen it before, and hence it must be bad" is a very bad mentality. Also, I am trying to help you, so please stop shouting at me. I skimmed over this and the two previous 1.3 problems threads, and the problem you are seeing, that is lag (which I assume means sluggish movement and/or low framerate) in single player appears extremely rare. I didn't actually find anyone else having this problem. I'm sure there are others, but most people appears to be playing the game and having fun. I can confirm the 100% core cpu usage, but it's not causing lag for me. So why is it causing problems for you and a few others, while it's fine for almost everyone else? Even if the problem is indeed in their code, they'll still need that question answered if they are to stand a chance at fixing it.

There are lots of problems/errors that will cause an application to use 100%, but not all 100% usages are problems. The problems that cause 100% usage are endless loops, and causes the thread to lock up. If SV had this problem, the entire game would freeze. You wouldn't be able to move at all, the menus wouldn't work at all etc. If it happened in one of the worker threads, you'd get stuck in a particular screen (like the end of the day screen). If there was some other random background thread that got stuck, it would use 100% of one core, and the game would just continue running fine on another (unless all cores were at 100%).

Stardew Valley is created with Microsoft's XNA framework, which is a layer on top of DirectX 9 to make it easier to write games with .NET (and also that can run on the 360 and Windows Phone 7). It's a framework, which is kind of like a really simple game engine. XNA doesn't do all that much, but it takes care of some things like setting up a window and initializing the graphics api etc, and it takes care of the update loop. It's XNA that makes sure the game runs at 60 FPS, no more, no less. Hence, it's XNA that should cause the game to sleep/yield between frames, and for some reason it's not doing that unless the game is running in Windowed Borderless. Only Microsoft knows why that is, but either way, it _shouldn't_ cause any problems. Increased fan noises, shorter battery life, higher electric bills and so on, sure, but no framerate problems.

Apologies for that, I was trying to quote another user and it wasn't obvious how to do that while editing.

• yamakirisei

yamakirisei Orbital Explorer

Hello, I was playing with friends and we ran into an error which broke the game. (We had to force quit.)

We had our horse out, and both me (host) and another player went to ride it at the same time. Initially, it showed both of us riding it, though the other player seemed to look glitchy. (Looked like he was walking but with the horse texture pasted over his character, at least on my screen.) After a few seconds, I ended up off the horse and mine disappeared. My friend was still on the horse and actually stuck. He couldn't dismount. Then his game crashed. I had went to bed and it still said 1/2 in bed, even though he was no longer in the game. I tried to exit and open the menu to kick him, and then it just froze on me, the program was not responding, and I had to force quit.

Log and save file are attached in a zip folder. I did have two mod installed and running, so I am honestly not sure if it was caused by them, but they shouldn't have affected the horse in any way, I don't think. I was using UI Infosuite, and the unlimited multiplayer mod. Note that the only players online were using default cabins, not extras. I didn't even actually build any extra cabins via the mod yet.

Sorry if it's not the right place to post this, or if it's a duplicate error. I tried searching but didn't really find anything on this particular issue.

Attached Files:

• The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

@DragonOmnus - if you think it is an actual issue feel free to provide a DxDiag dump with the personal identifiers striped and attach the log to your post.
                                  As well as providing any extra details which may be relevant. Mods installed ( if so does the issue exist without any mods installed ) , AV running which checks executable on launch, Did you try the Beta? did it exist in the Beta? What made you first notice the issue? Etc.

Simply saying "cores being used" doesn't really give heads or tails on what the issue is or where to begin looking if such an issue actually exists with the game.

@DvDmanDT - Sometimes the best solution is to ignore the response and take everything with a pinch of salt. An issue may exist but often the person who interprets it may not be fully aware of the circumstances. The best way to deal with it is to avoid their interpretation and instead gather the information which helped them form their interpretation. That is why doctors don't ask, "What do you think is wrong with you" and instead ask, "what are the symptoms or issues you are facing".

In short - let's stop the feud it is unnecessary and simply clogging the thread unnecessarily.

• Lord Reginald

Lord Reginald Void-Bound Voyager

Not sure if this was known or not, but we found a glitch making you stuck in your animation and unable to do anything.
                                    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/295822372?t=00h01m02s
                                    Happened by watering an indoor pot next to a chair picking up the chair while watering, made you stuck and unable to move.
                                    After gifting they were able to move again(what you can see in the video). The festival later on messed the state up a bit more, made them unable to move again and when they switched out their item in the inventory it got displayed next to them.
                                    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/295822372?t=00h05m08s
                                    The dance in the end fixed the state.

On an unrelated note we also managed to crash the game multiple times after marrying a player character while already married to an npc spouse. It played the marriage cutscene for each day until the real marriage and crashed after it so we had to restart the session multiple times.

We also lost a baby somehow, they just never spawned as only one house was upgraded far enough in which the baby could sleep. The spouse baby spawned like expected but the player baby didn't spawn as only the farmhands house was upgraded. We at first thought because you can have two babies it would just spawn in the upgraded house the one you slept in, but it never did.

I would add the crashfiles if there are some, but I am not the host of the game and he has no idea where they are. If someone could help we might be able to look further into this.
                                    We didn't opt into the beta again yet so these are all bugs on the official mp release.

• Sleeping Fox

Sleeping Fox Void-Bound Voyager

Version 1.3.28, Steam, Single player, no mods:

The spouses, children and pets seem a bit more buggy than usual, especially my child, who has difficulties with finding his bed (or maybe Penny is a terrible mother).

1.) Child overlayed with crib:

baby01.png

2.) Part of the child's head is missing, and child is not in bed at 1 am on Fall 5, Year 2, even though there is no festival (also, shouldn't the house be dark at night?):

baby02.png

3.) Usually, the baby sleeps in the crib like in the following picture, but one night (Fall 6, Year 2) I found that version of the sleeping child on the kitchen floor (did Penny drop him?). When I left and reentered the house, he was back in the crib.

baby03.png

4.) Sometimes the characters freeze for a few game hours or all day. Penny froze in the doorframe when she returned home one night and remained there for a few hours, and my dog often freezes in the house like this:

dog.png

• Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

That info is in the opening post of the thread. If you can, share the save as well as any error logs. They'll be named after the farmer.

• davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

RIP baby, he needs a head piece because he got stuck in the bars of the crib, poor U_U

Thread Status:
                                          Not open for further replies.