Stardew Valley for the Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JackDG, Aug 17, 2018.

1. JackDG

JackDG Space Hobo

Is 1.3 ever going to come to the Switch?

• GoAtS!!!!!!

GoAtS!!!!!! Intergalactic Tourist

What do you mean? Its already out. It was so funny how I farmed 750 gold every day with the gold lewis xD

• lordraz0r

lordraz0r Tentacle Wrangler

Wait is 1.3 really or is he trolling?

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

He is trolling.

The problem with the multiplayer update for the Switch is that it will have to use a very different method of multiplayer access than the PC version, most likely using the MiiVerse or Nintendo's paid online service, since that is how Switch does multiplayer in general, and Nintendo very strongly discourages third party multiplayer systems that don't go through them. Which means the Chucklefish group will have to figure out how to get SDV to work with Nintendo's system before this will be possible. It probably won't be impossible, but it also probably won't happen Soon!(tm) either.

At the very least, you can be sure that the switch version of multiplayer won't be able to join with the PC version, even after it comes out.

• lordraz0r

I am so sorry but you are busy grasping at straws my friend. Let's break it down quick.

it will have to use a very different method of multiplayer access than the PC version - this is correct to some degree BUT it's more a gotcha than a hindrance. Nowadays cross platform development exists.

most likely using the MiiVerse or Nintendo's paid online service - Miiverse no longer exists and the paid service is not here yet

Nintendo very strongly discourages third party multiplayer systems that don't go through them - This is HORRIBLY wrong. Examples: Fortnite and Palladins.

You can be sure that the switch version of multiplayer won't be able to join with the PC version - This I predict is true but if unfortunately because of developer shortcomings. Nintendo encourages cross platform play quite heavily and Fortnite is a prime example of where it works quite well.

Don't mean to attack you but instead of grasping at straws please get facts.

• ShneekeyTheLost

You keep using that word, but I do not think it means what you think it means. It's not a matter of cross platform development, it's how the multiplayer part of the game functions. If it wasn't multiplayer, there was be far fewer hassles. After all, we already HAVE SDV for the Switch.

And neither is the multiplayer port of Switch. Do you honestly think that the Switch won't start leaning on devs to run peer-to-peer multiplayer through their service, or even screwing over current players by forcing the change? Hell, they've already done that to MarioKart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon2. They've flat out stated that once the paid online service comes out, that will be the ONLY means of multiplayer for the games. And their multiplayer architecture is far similar to SDV's than Fortnite, although it is probably going to be more peer-to-lobby rather than peer-to-peer, but I could see that actually working as an advantage to SDV, plus not having to go around reinventing any wheels by relying on an already released system.

Furthermore, the better comparison to how they are doing multiplayer would be Minecraft, however Minecraft is actually replacing the Minecraft: Switch Edition with the Win10 version of Minecraft that has been ported over that requires you to connect through their servers (and it requires a MS account to activate) to do multiplayer. So again, you have a third party server you are logging into instead of connecting directly peer-to-peer.

Several fallacies here. 1) 'strongly discourages' doesn't mean 'flat out refuses', so there will be some outliers. 2) Fortnight in particular has their own servers you connect to. SDV doesn't have this architecture, it will be strictly peer-to-peer, which means needing some sort of infrastructure to support this connection.

That's what I was saying, yes. SDV has different versions of the game for different platforms, so it won't be possible for cross-platform. Period. I never stated or even implied the fault was Nintendo's. Now you are the one grasping at straws, or rather, strawmen.

You're intelligent enough that you think you know what is going on, but not experienced enough to understand the underlying issues at hand. It's a common problem looking at someone else's industry as a consumer, and you certainly won't be the first, or the last, individual to do so.

• lordraz0r

It's actually simpler than you can imagine. Nowadays with network protocols being quite standardised all developers have to do is adapt to the native networking API of the system. Don't get me wrong it's not as simple as writing a quick script to poll a server but if you build your core well it can be as cross platform as you want it to be. Minecraft as an example.

I do agree with this point and as you say it can work in their favor.

They already ported over and actually you are dead wrong. You do NOT have to connect to their servers. In fact you can host a game and your friends can drop in. only time the servers actually come into play is for PC/XBox - Switch cross platform multiplayer. The protocol unless you play on realms is still P2P.

Just because they don't now doesn't mean it can't ever happen but if you want a P2P implementation example Splatoon 2.

This is debatable. Sure there are changes but I can guarantee you his code is platform agnostic as much as he can make it.

10 years formal development experience in Web, Software and Games. The issue that plagues SDV is the dev team. I have worked on solo projects before and it impairs turnaround time HARD. The kicker is this though. SDV has a certain level of detail and charm to it that you won't see on a project with a HUGE dev team so I would not want it to ever change.

Seems we are going to have a little back and forth and hey I enjoy a good debate.

• ShneekeyTheLost

Unfortunately, you are incorrect on this topic. Directly from Nintendo's Minecraft page:

A Microsoft Account is free and by signing in on device allows Minecraft players on Nintendo Switch to play with others on non-Nintendo devices. It also enables the portability of Minecoins and in-game store purchases to other devices.

So yes, they are using MS's network for connection outside of the switch.

Unfortunately, Splatoon 2, MarioKart 8 Deluxe, and others are also moving to the Nintendo online service. It would be about Nintendo's speed to try and strongarm everyone else into using too. And, like we agree on, it would mean not reinventing the wheel and plugging into an already existing API which provides additional features like lobbies to find people to play with. And since it supposedly launches 'September 2018' (assuming it doesn't get pushed back again), I'm betting they're just holding off on development until they get their hands on the SDK, assuming they don't already have it and are working on it now.
                  Thing is... he didn't. That's the problem. He wrote the original SDV, which was first launched Windows only. It was Chucklefish who did the ports. And each different port was done by a different team. CA wasn't involved in that end at all. Which at least theoretically COULD make it easier to do as you say since Chucklefish isn't a single developer learning to code by making his own game, only it doesn't seem like the various Chucklefish teams actually did. It's... a real mess, under the hood. I've been actively involved in the modding community, I've had an opportunity to see some of it. And it ain't pretty.

And the real issue at heart is that the entire game was basically Concerned Ape teaching himself how to code, much like Notch did with Minecraft. So we're talking single developer doing his own code on a small project he never thought would take off. Which means he didn't bother implementing modularity or compatibility. He used whatever methods he thought would work at the time without thinking about how it would impact future development because he never thought there would BE any future development. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you found some good ol' fashioned GOTO statements in there. I mean... his asset handling methodoloy is... very inflexible. Like, he calls the individual XNB files by file name manually each time he needs to check one for something. So yea... it's kinda like that.

Oh, absolutely. And I am not trying to offer insult or hostility in the process, it's just that... well, you know how it is when users get an idea.

• GoAtS!!!!!!

GoAtS!!!!!! Intergalactic Tourist

oh sorry thought it said 1.3 for a switch like an update. not for the console. i do not know when it will come out for the console, but, I know that 1.3 is going to be released for the switch FIRST before the other consoles.