1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound wont open.

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Toontown142, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toontown142

Toontown142 Aquatic Astronaut

I've been playing upbeat giraffe but after a bug fix update it comes up with 2 error messages.
    Error: Fatal Exception Caught: (IOException) Rename error: 3
    IOException::IOException(string)
    File::rename(String, String)
    Configuration::Configuration(Variant, Maybe<String>)
    unique_ptr<Configuration, default_delete<Configuration> > make_unique<Configuration, Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, String>(Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >, String)
    Root::Root(String, String, LogLevel, bool, String, Map<String, Variant, unordered_map<String, Variant, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, Variant> > > >)
    Root::partialInitialize(Map<String, StringList, unordered_map<String, StringList, hash<String, void>, equal_to<String>, allocator<pair<String, StringList> > > >)
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

And then after :

Run-time error
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\commom\Starbound\win32\starbound.exe

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

If you could help I would really appreciate it
    Thanks.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Moved to In-Game & Billing Support. Website & Forum Support is not used for game-related issues.

3. Toontown142

Okay.
    Hope you can help me soon :D

Is anyone else I having this problem?

Any update on the diagnostic?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

First of all, please don't double- or triple-post. I've already merged two of your posts, and this makes a third.

And you might want to post your log file, to give people a better idea of what's happening when the error occurs.

5. Toontown142

I'm sorry for posting so much, its just that i'm panicking.
    I've found my log and ill paste it here

Start logging at: 2015-02-03 19:49:28.586
    [19:49:28.596] Info: Star::Root using bootstrap file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\sbboot.config'
    [19:49:28.596] Info: Star::Root using storage directory 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\'
    [19:49:28.596] Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    [19:49:28.597] Info: Loading Configuration with config file: 'starbound.config'
    [19:49:28.600] Info: Loading Star::Configuration from 'Just (.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config)'
    [19:49:28.960] Error: Failed to load configuration file Just (.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config), replacing. : (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: expected JSON object or array at top level at 1:1
    [19:49:29.207] Error: Fatal Exception Caught: (IOException) Rename error: 3

Sorry for any issues. I'll limit my posting here.
    Can't wait to get back in game :)

6. eustic

eustic Space Hobo

having the same error here, and my error log is exactly the same (aside from the times and the file paths)

so, pretty much exactly the same, would love a fix, i am absolutely hooked on this game and i hate not being able to play....

EDIT: for clarification, the error happens when i click any variation of "Launch Starbound" from the launcher.

7. PieDestroyer

PieDestroyer Space Hobo

same here, starbound was working perfectly yesterday, just today.... BAM! ive listed things you could try, but so far they were unsucccessful for me :(

when i try to launch starbound this error message pops up. if been looking for ages and noone else seems to have this problem. i have tried the game chache check on steam, compatibility mode and run as administrator. the game was working fine but today it just stopped. i have also tried reinstalling the game..... but nothing :(

SCREENSHOT BELOW
    :paper:
    [​IMG] please help :lickitung:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  8. Scneek

Scneek Void-Bound Voyager

Did you delete something under the Starbound.config?

"serverPasswords" : [ "", "duckies", "swordfish" ],

I modified this, as a Video said to for hosting a server. Delete it and paste this into it, should work again.

9. Toontown142

Scneek, link me to a video on the fix, im quite confused.

10. Scneek

Scneek Void-Bound Voyager

There was no fix.. But I followed a video ( I wanted to port forward a server for friends, wasn't working ) that told me I had to modify some things.

I did such, and got that error. I just undid what i had done..

I believe it was this is the video

11. PieDestroyer

PieDestroyer Space Hobo

i havnt done anything with that. :( but thanks for helping :D[DOUBLEPOST=1423123831][/DOUBLEPOST]my log if it helps:

Start logging at: 2015-02-05 08:09:27.234
    [08:09:27.235] Info: Star::Root using bootstrap file 'C:\Steam J\steamapps\common\Starbound\win64\sbboot.config'
    [08:09:27.235] Info: Star::Root using storage directory 'C:\Steam J\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\'
    [08:09:27.235] Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    [08:09:27.236] Info: Loading Configuration with config file: 'starbound.config'
    [08:09:27.236] Info: Loading Star::Configuration from 'Just (.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config)'
    [08:09:27.318] Error: Failed to load configuration file Just (.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config), replacing. : (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: expected JSON object or array at top level at 1:1
    [08:09:27.355] Error: Fatal Exception Caught: (IOException) Rename error: 3

12. PieDestroyer

PieDestroyer Space Hobo

I FIGURED IT OUT
    GO TO YOUR STARBOUND FOLDER

C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage

THEN DELETE starbound.config

THEN GO TO STARBOUND 64BIT then double click on starbound OPENGL

WORKED FOR ME :D

BEAR IN MIND I WAS RUNNING STEAM

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
    IamsDoge, Lonor, reaper9407 and 2 others like this.
  13. swordkid01

swordkid01 Aquatic Astronaut

IT WORKED THANK YOU RANDOM PERSONSSSSS

14. TheRobotDoctor

TheRobotDoctor Orbital Explorer

Hello,
    I tried to do everything you said here but it didn't work, It happened today. I was playing Starbound and it crashed so I relaunched it and my characters were gone, I don't know why but I restarted my computer and now it has the rename error, I reinstalled the game and tried everything everyone said in here, still nothing happened. I was looking for the starbound.config file but I cannot find it. I found 2 files of it but they had some numbers and letters after it. Help anyone?

EDIT: I figured out that I do not have a file named starbound.config. The reason I do not have it is beyond me. I do need it though so my hypothesis is that you need to ask a friend to send you a copy Via Skype or anywhere you can share the file.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.