1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound stuck on loading screen

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by MasterOfForge3, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Oh I see, so it just considers that in use even though it's not actually being used? I can't see how it's helpful to suck up all that space for nothing, but I suppose it's an easy workaround for out of memory errors and BSODs on drives that run out of space. I'll just hug my 256meg pagefile with 51megs in use and be glad for the extra space.

2. Lots of low-level stuff like address space swapping, caching, and swapping RAM to disk, and vice versa. Pretty much every OS does this, and page files are really just meant to be a backup of in-memory data. I don't really want to derail the topic as I took a whole semester learning about OSes for my degree. (That, and I'm not exactly an expert on the topic either so I don't want to give you wrong info)

3. NightCat

NightCat Void-Bound Voyager

Nah I'm well aware of what and how swapfiles and paging works, it's just strange to me that you'd have the OS perform extra write operations to back up something that's already being held in RAM or pre-allocate several gigs of drivespace which then might not even be used for anything. Neither way seems efficient, unless it's precaching the active RAM data to speed up hibernation or something along those lines. Even so, that's hardly a hugely important feature compared with reducing read-ins and outs, particularly with the popularity of limited-write SSDs and hybrids increasing. But yes, I'll just accept it as an oddity and stop derailing the thread.

Hopefully the OP's problem can be fixed in software..

4. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

That GPU should be working... Update your video drivers *directly* from Intel's website ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com )

If it still doesn't work, either:

a) Attach your starbound.log to a post
    or
    b) Remove anything from your mods and assets directories, then re-Verify. You should probably also remove your player and universe dirs.

5. RvLesh

severedskullz likes this.
  6. Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  7. RvLesh

This is all Windows-specific, so entirely possible they were confusing it with another OS.

8. Well the course was about OS's in general, Linux, Mac, Windows, etc. But the stuff he DID go over relating to windows was quite incorrect according to those presentations

9. MasterOfForge3

MasterOfForge3 Void-Bound Voyager

It has launched perfectly before, and i hardly ever had problems with FPS

10. what about in OpenGL like many of us have asked? ... Thread kinda went way off topic for a bit.

11. madgerald

madgerald Space Hobo

here are the files, thanks for helping.......

Attached Files:

12. RvLesh

There should be a starbound.log file in your starbound\ directory, after you have an issue. Attach that file.

13. RvLesh

After the update, delete player, universe, anything in mods, and everything in assets/ that isn't "music," "user," "packed.pak" or "sb.checksum"

14. madgerald

madgerald Space Hobo

hope this helps....

Attached Files:

15. SeroRamai

SeroRamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Girlfriend is able to load up and launch starbound with 3 mods, while mine will not even load with mods installed.

o________O

16. RvLesh

Make sure you've deleted your player, universe, and mod directories...

If you hit Escape during the loading screen, do you get an error?

17. Radco

Radco Seal Broken

The only thing that worked for me was to go in and remove ALL MODS..after that, it allowed me to load the game.

18. SeroRamai

SeroRamai Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YEA! I updated my "Arcane Add on" mod, completely closed steam, loaded it back up, clicked launch on starbound...

Boom. It's working now. With mods. :monkey:

19. RvLesh

That belongs in a new post. This one is full up.

My psychic powers tell me that you have leftover player/ or universe/ files, or a mod needs to be updated.

20. madgerald

madgerald Space Hobo

Thanks so much my friend , it runs sweet !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.