1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help starbound server not opening port

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mark990, Nov 20, 2015.

1. mark990

mark990 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I've recently wanted to play with my friend again and have tried to set up a server. properly port forwarded and everything, but when i check the port with yougetsignal it's always closed. to test i've tried running a terraria server in the exact same way on its native port and it opened just fine. all of my firewalls are down, and i've tried switching starbound to 7777 to see if the port itself was the issue. any suggestions?

2. Klein

Klein Void-Bound Voyager

Every single time I restart my router I have to go to NAT config and turn the "PVC" (Or something like this) to 4, it always comes back to 0, turning all the port forwarding stuff off. Tried checking this out? Oh, and my new ports just start working after I restart the router and turn the pvc on.

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Is the server running when you check your port? Can you log in to the server locally?

4. mark990

sorry for not replying yesterday, all the passthroughs are enabled, the server was running when i checked, and i could log in locally (127.0.0.1) restarting the router also didn't help, though it was worth a shot.

should also mention, we have tried to use hamachi, but that doesn't seem to work either. maybe we'd need a different number or something for the port, but we still used 21025

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  5. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I have been using this:

http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

To check to see if the ports are open. But it doesn't work for me neither. Mark. If you find out how to do it exactly can you please tell me? No matter what I do it always says closed.

6. Klein

Klein Void-Bound Voyager

What about a dedicated server?

7. mark990

the thing is, I've done this before and it worked with just simple port forwarding, but for some reason now its just not going. as for a dedicated server, i'd rather not have to pay a third party to play sb, especially since it's worked before. I dunno if there's some other firewall i have that's blocking it, windows firewall is off and like i say it works with terraria. i'm just totally confuzzled

8. Klein

Klein Void-Bound Voyager

You sure you configured the port correctly?

9. mark990

i mean, it works for terraria, both if i try and use 7777 and 21025, but i suppose we could play on a public server, if that's what you meant by dedicated. I'm just wondering if there's something maybe blocking starbound from opening the port, or something i need to do specifically for starbound to open said port[DOUBLEPOST=1448230183][/DOUBLEPOST]I think i've got it working now, yougetsignal is saying it's open, i just need to test. if someone could connect to 70.117.10.209 port 21025, that'd be helpful. if it works, i'll post what i did.

It worked! i had steam open but not starbound, opened the c:/ programfiles(x86)/steam/steamapps/common/starbound and ran the server from the win64 folder. then i launched starbound and another person was able to join. If the server ports arent opening for you, i'd recommend trying all of the different server options.

*edit* I'm actually not sure what i did now... i ran it from the launcher and it opened the port just fine. maybe running the 64 bit one set the default one for the launcher to use? maybe it just decided to work? i have no idea :p

Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  10. Klein

Klein Void-Bound Voyager

If its working its perfect :p
    By dedicated I meant those sites that route the server for you, its pretty common with minecraft, idk if there's any for starbound

11. lazarus78

Hamachi and Evolve are VPN services which in effect many everyone's computer who is connected think they are on the same local network.

If you are referring to that crappy tool that touts as not needing port forwarding, that is called a proxy, and it is not advised to use.

12. Klein

Klein Void-Bound Voyager

Some friends of mine used this website here https://server.pro to host their minecraft server bc the only guy that could host it was almost never online. It's pretty crappy, but its an alternative. A desperate alternative, but still.

13. lazarus78

"* Free servers will stop if there are no players online for 15 minutes."

Yeah... with only half a gig of memory, that is very crappy.

14. tainguyen

tainguyen Space Hobo

i'm pretty sure it's not a firewall problem, but has more to do with my modem/router

15. lazarus78

If you are having issues, start your own thread, with details.

16. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

You aren't missing anything, this is a bug that's been around for quite some time, if I'm not wrong, there should've been some errors in the starbound_server.log, you can't start the server while the starbound client is already running.

It has to do with the client "locking" certain files, if I'm not mistaken.

17. lazarus78

The client only locks the universe if you have a character loaded. If you are in the main menu, then it won't have the universe locked.

Dunto likes this.
  18. Dunto

Dunto Guest

I wouldn't call it a bug. You can't have two programs writing out to the same file without some kind of coordination. Locking is a common safety mechanism for programs, it can keep users from accidentally corrupting their save files, for one.

You can play on the same machine you're hosting from if you select multiplayer and join your own server on 127.0.0.1. You'll only run into the locking mechanism if you try to host a server and play single-player at the same time (or fire up multiple instances of the server or single-player client) on the same machine.

danks_ likes this.