1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

starbound pleaaaaaaaaaaaase

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by tuvg12, Apr 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tuvg12

tuvg12 Space Hobo

FOR GODS SAKE WHY CANT WE USE STEAM WORKSHOP ITS SO MUCH EASYER

2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Not sure why you posted in Forum games.
    Moved to correct forum.

3. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

Steam Workshop will be added as a feature. The game is still in Early Access.

4. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Workshop support is planned.

I just hope the manual-installation mods section here remains active when it is added... The Workshop is okay and all, but auto-mod-updates, mods getting removed being deleted from your install, and stuff like that can be... problematic. Especially if you have large mods that could pretty much break your savegame if messed with.

ImDaMisterL likes this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is actually the biggest reason why this is a terrible idea. There is very little control afforded to people. If you want to make sure steam doesn't mess with the installed mods, you have to go in an rename it so that steam wont touch it anymore, and if you have to do that, you are not really saving any time vs a manual install.

Plus, version history options like we have here on this site will be impossible through Steam, so an author like me couldn't preemptively upload a compatibility update with a future version without screwing up a lot of people. All in all you lose control for the sake of convenience, which, IMO, is a terrible trade-off.

Mackinz and Shaadaris like this.
  6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Alas, some will still prefer it. Some people prefer convienience over the extra control, or simply don't care too much about what happens.
    I'm just picky because I happen to install mods to a lot of Bethesda games and have gotten very used to and appreciative of the process and control it affords you.
    That said, some games don't have other options yet (Space Engineers) and others have other options which are very tedious for little return (Garry's Mod). I just hope the option to use this site (or the frankly dead Nexusmods section) remains even after workshop support is added.

However, that is not the topic of this thread, so let's not get too off track.

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

This is too true for far too many things, sadly.

Shaadaris likes this.
  8. Kezeal

Kezeal Ketchup Robot

inb4conspiracytheories

and here are the required extra words for it to not count as spam

Shaadaris and Mackinz like this.