1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound is extremely slow

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by gar596, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gar596

gar596 Orbital Explorer

Starbound is extremely slow me. It's so slow, that it's unplayable. No other games I that own are this slow. Is there something that I can do to fix this? I have yet to actually play this game. I've checked and Starbound literally runs around 3 and 4 FPS on my computer.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  2. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

What are your specs?

3. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Same for me.

AMD Athlon II x4 630 4 cores 2.8 ghz
    ATI Radeon HD 4350 1gb
    6gb Ram
    windows 7
    direct x 11

4. Turtwig321

Turtwig321 Cosmic Narwhal

These specs should definately be enough to run Starbound at a solid 60 fps, its just an optimization issue.

5. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

There are a few solutions around, if you look around at topics with similar issues.
    those might help you, since this seems like an extreme case.

Though there is an issue with steam integration at the moment that causes massive performance loss, that's being worked on.

6. nathan00107

Ok, so when in doubt wait for Stage 2? (optimzation begins here)

7. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

When the bug involving steam integration is fixed, a lot of performance should be gained back.
    If they can't fix that before they release the drm free version, that one will not have the issue.

8. gar596

gar596 Orbital Explorer

Any idea when it's going to be fixed?

9. Barbossa

Barbossa Cosmic Narwhal

No idea, they are working on it, and are aware of the issue though.

10. gar596

gar596 Orbital Explorer

Processor: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Grapdhics 1.30 GHz
    RAM: 4.00GB
    System type: 64-bit operating system

11. gar596

gar596 Orbital Explorer

Well, at least something is being done about it

12. Untega

Untega Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't have a great computer, so the most I usually get is 30fps. I run starbound fine most of the time(it's not super smooth but I'm use to that).But when I go near any of the dungeons or villages, I go in slow motion and it's kinda hard to play.

13. Braethias

Braethias Big Damn Hero

AMD phenom II 2.8 x6
    radeon 6870 x2 in crossfire
    16gb ram
    win7 64bit prem

I get 60 fps, except in dungeons/cities/castles/buildings, then it drops to 5-6. but not underground unless there's a metric ton of gravel falling.

swyrl likes this.
  14. TheAwsome

TheAwsome Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes I have run into the same issue. At least when I start lagging I know I'm near something.

15. Wondering

Wondering Space Hobo

I'm experiencing the same issue.
    I'm always in slow motion and the game is near unplayable.

I hope the devs enhance game engines soon.

16. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Dungeons/villages and sometimes walking along a new planet (or exploring underground) my normally stable framerate will creep down pretty bad (probably gravel/sand/water/liquid or unseen enemies, plus optimization stuffs..), plus my experience with the first boss.. Took 45+ minutes just from the lag.. Too many light sources/particles/moving enemies, I guess.. BUt after the fight the lag persisted, so that's good (for me, anyway!).

Hate to criticize, but I'd like to see some optimization stuff done sooner than later (textures, particle count, lighting quality/flicker, plantlife/tree movement, moving/multilayer backgrounds, weather, v-sync, etc) :) Can't really give feedback on quite a bit of stuff due to "underwater" 5-10fps lag :)

17. Illumina

Illumina Void-Bound Voyager

18. nathan00107

19. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

Yeah, I think I've got Steam under control.. Mine was never set to any compatibility, but deleting the regedit files for Steam did provide at least a temporary clarity of framerate (I've had to do this twice, because they came back/were restored once already..) :O Hope at least all this Steam-related trouble gets hammered out soon so we can see through the mist a little better :)

20. PurpleFanta

PurpleFanta Intergalactic Tourist

Not sure if it's been suggested, but before this patch, when i was having major fps issues, i ran in max zoomed, windowed mode and used Razor Game Booster to shut out background programs.

It was playable like this but snow would sometimes slow it down, along with Human Penal Colonies. When both were combined i was playing the game at like 3 fps.

Another thing i've done is used task manager to use both CPU's (should be default), and set the priority to high
    I also still have the Steam community turned off, which removes game overlay UI if I remember correctly, that free's up a good bit of CPU and memory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.