1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Starbound FPS LAG

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Paisan, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paisan

Paisan Subatomic Cosmonaut

2. Mushi26

Mushi26 Big Damn Hero

I'm receiving lots of lag too. It happens when I load into the outpost, and during the mine boss as well as any time when lots of npcs are on screen. It runs smoothly when not around npcs. Thank you and hope someone will answer this.

I'm also running the steam version.

Paisan likes this.
  3. Paisan

Yeah it's a great game, I hope someone will find a fix as well.

4. The slideshow you posted looked fabulous! I don't see anything wrong with it. :laugh:

DrVoodoo likes this.
  5. Paisan

Lol uh...anyways xD

6. Paisan

Don't really blame anyone if they can't think of a fix seems like this is really rare.

7. Kenokam

Kenokam Aquatic Astronaut

I think it may be your CPU. I noticed that they don't have any AMD recommended hardware listed on their store page and others have reported poor performance with their AMD chips. Also, I'm not really sure how well an FX4300 would stack up against a i3 CPU when the bench mark is a game that probably doesn't make proper use of more than a couple of cores. Food for thought.

Paisan likes this.
  8. Paisan

Thanks a lot you may actually be right, that's what my one friend was telling me also. Maybe its time to update my CPU. Any recommendations for a new one?

9. Kenokam

Well, since you're using an FX series chip, I'd imagine your motherboard is an AM3+ socket. The nice thing about AMD is that they are very inexpensive and you could pretty easily grab an FX6300 (six cores) for around $100, or even an FX83xx series chip (eight cores) starting at $135.

10. Paisan

Alright i'll look into it thanks again

11. darkdex52

darkdex52 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It's not that his CPU is too old or underpowered, it would be ridiculous knowing the TFLOP power of FX-4300. That CPU can battle, and battle well against ANY modern game and is certainly NOT a bottleneck in the system. An FX-4300 would server you excellently for another 3-4 years would be my guess.

No, the problem is with the bad optimization of Starbound. The game-code has only been properly optimized for only a tiny selection of popular CPU's/GPU's. For examply, the game ran completely fine for me on AMD Phenom and Phenom II as well as Radeon HD 2600 (a rather old card) and Radeon HD 7770, while it runs terribly on my AMD A8-4500 and AMD 8750M.

Solinias likes this.
  12. Kenokam

Hey now, I didn't say any of these things. I simply stated that Starbound likely does not make use of more than a couple of cores and would perform better on a CPU with less but stronger cores (like the i3). If your CPU is holding you back, whether due to limitations of the chip or limitations of the game, that would still make it a bottleneck where Starbound is concerned, correct?

While Starbound is far from optimized, I don't think that is your issue. The biggest problem I'm seeing is that you're trying to compare dedicated desktop GPUs to an APU. Here's a benchmark I'd like you to take a look at.

13. Keonyn

Keonyn Space Hobo

Sorry, but I'm going to agree with darkdex52. I'm running an AMD FX8350 with 16GB of RAM and an R9 285 graphics card and a 1000W PSU. I have a dedicated CPU and GPU and I am getting these same results. When I'm on a computer that can run many games on the highest settings at 1080P and then some pixel-art game like Starbound with very low end sprite based graphics frequently gets very low fps, and at some times unplayable, then I'm going to have to say it's a coding or optimization issue with the game itself. I have no other problems running other games. Every other game I play/run has no problem and runs like a dream, Starbound is pretty much the only one that seems to crawl and I am far from the only one encountering these problems.

I have tried the fix that's floating around and that's a no go because I don't run on compatibility mode, so the registry options they want removed don't exist. I've also tried openGL mode and 64-bit openGL and there is not a distinguishable difference. All I know is beating the Erchius Horror has become an impossibility because the framerate, and my last attempt was killed when my fps dropped below 1fps and by the time my screen moved again I was dead. There's simply no excuse for this; a game like this should not be this taxing on a machine, it simply shouldn't. While the game is playable in many areas, the ridiculously broken Erchius Horror boss is made outright impossible in these conditions, which means I can not progress any further in the game as a result. Since the bulk of the games content is inaccessible until you pass the mission that basically means the game is a lost cause for me.

14. Kenokam

I'm going to try to explain this better. I'm not arguing against either of you, I'm just trying to explain why your AMD hardware may not be performing up to snuff with Starbound. I completely agree that Starbound is not yet optimized, and I believe this is why they recommend using a processor with less but stronger cores, like the i3.

The line that you quoted was directed at darkdex52 regarding his other thread detailing his issues with Starbound and his APU. I thought about emphasizing "your" in that line, but I felt it implied a certain tone I did not want to convey.

You, however, are using components that more than exceed the requirements listed on their store page. I would like to know what OS you're running and maybe get a screenshot of the stress on your CPU and GPU cores while in the hub station so we can better understand what part of your system is being so heavily taxed in these areas.

Edit: I'll attach an example image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  15. darkdex52

darkdex52 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Benchmarks and my experience with Starbound on multiple different GPU/CPU combos further proves the point that it's not the hardware, but the software fault.

I had perfectly stable 60 fps on both 7770 and 2600, and 2600 is less than twice the power of 8750M, and almost 8 times less powerful than 7770, yet performs the same, and the 2x+ more powerful 8750M does not.

So, to cap this
    HD 7770 = HD 2600 in Starbound performance
    7640G = 8750M in Starbound performance
    HD 7770 > 8750M > 7640G > HD 2600

16. lordnune

lordnune Intergalactic Tourist

I am having serious lag issues as well. At first, I thought it was just because I was running it on my Macbook Air (running Yosemite), even though I never had any issues with the previous updates. But I am experiencing the same kind of lag on my PC's as well (all running Win 7 with recent video cards). Neither systems were having issues at all before.

It gets so bad that - I am still on the starting planet - if I go deep enough down, it will literally lock up for at least 5-6 minutes (I have been timing it). The game is completely unplayable for me right now, and I am really hoping you will look into this.

Interestingly enough, I don't seem to have any lag when I am close (or on) the planet's surface, even when there are lots of monsters around. It only happens when I get deeper in. Also, I have deleted the game and reinstalled it, checked the cached files, etc already...

17. CatherineCat

CatherineCat Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having this annoying lag/stutter aswell.. doesn't matter if i play Singleplayer or Multiplayer. It's the Game's fault.. ever since the latests 70MB hotfix or something.. and no it's not my Computer's fault.. every driver is uptodate, game is on a fast SSD installed. I'm using a 5960x i7 @ 5Ghz, 780Ti SLI 1300Mhz, 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram.. so it's definitely not on my end since a few other report the same problem on the steam forums. Seriously, please look into this Chucklefish.. the game is no more enjoyable due to this Stuttering and low framerates issue. The 64Bit Experimental exe runs alot better than the 32bit one.. but at zoom levels 2 and 3 it's stuttering the most.. and framerate drops down to 30 fps (Wtf) when it rains.. on the 32bit version that is.. open gl or not. And on the 64bit exe it stutters aswell.. the framerate judders between 54fps and 61 constantly.. it's so annoying.

Paisan likes this.
  18. Paisan

Oh damn I didn't expect this to get a bunch of posts. I almost want to try Starbound on my sisters 500 dollar laptop to see what happens lol. Gotta say I'm glad that I'm not the only one having problems with lag though.

19. Kenokam

Please, for the love of Kluex, read my post this time. I agree that the game has performance issues. What I'm trying to say is that just because Starbound has these issues, does not necessarily mean the game is the sole reason your laptop cannot handle the game in its current state. You are not using a device that is meant for gaming, so you should not be surprised that your business-grade laptop is unable to perform in such a manner.

If she'll let you do so, then by all means. Tell her you need it for science.

20. lordnune

lordnune Intergalactic Tourist

Actually, I just figured out my lag issues, and maybe it will help. Because it was happening on all systems I was using (OSX and Windows)...

I ended up going in and deleting the Universe folder completely. When I relaunched and selected my character, it generated a new one. The bad part is that it will be a new randomly generated universe, so anything you had built or stored on any planets will be gone. Keep that in mind. I simply loaded everything I could onto myself and into my ship. I had to start building from scratch, but the unplayable lag in the game was gone.

Really, the game was unplayable before this. If I got deep enough on my starter planet, it would literally lock up for 5-6 minutes (where I even thought the game would crash). It never crashed, if I survived the lag, I could keep going from where I was, but only for a few minutes and the lag would start again. Never happened near the surface.

In any case, if you are experiencing this, or any lag, maybe try that and see if it helps for you. So far I have seen no lag since I did that.

nimmerland likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.