Dev Blog Starbound at EGX Rezzed

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Katzeus, Apr 20, 2018.

1. AvalonArrival

AvalonArrival Void-Bound Voyager

Awwwwwwwww, I was really excited for bounty hunting :avalicry: While I don't agree with the decision that bounty hunting is currently just a tacked on feature, I will respect it and be eagerly waiting for the next update! In my opinion it would be nice if bounty hunting fit really well with the rest of the game, but I don't think that it's necessary. The original theme for Starbound was chose the path that you want right? So if you wanna be a mech pilot, go for it! Find it fun to chase down criminals half-way across the galaxy? We got you covered! Feel like being a saint and helping everyone and everything with their problems? Buy your colony deeds here! Feel like playing the villain instead of the hero? I have some great minions I can sell ya... Wanna conquer the galaxy? Great! I got battle plans right here. With that out of the way, Torches! Get your torches here! Torches for sale! Buy ten torches get a pitchfork free! Only at Striker Riot Sales!

2. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm fine cuz I know the community will do something about it thru modding (as usual). Yeah, that's the best Starbound feature! It makes sure even small things like being forced to have a pet can be "fixed".

Also joining the "X weeks isn't a little bit" crowd... :(

Kumpel, Ickura and Vrow like this.
  3. izzykuroneko

izzykuroneko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The feels when disppointment doesnt even begin to describe how this actually makes me feel. Months of expecting to get nothing, oh well.

Hey, how much you guys selling those pitchforks for?

Jumbum, Ickura, Kumpel and 3 others like this.
  4. Temchak

Temchak Void-Bound Voyager

Oh well, I'm really upset.

You know, I have played Starbound for more than 2k hours, and that's only when I was connected to the net, so steam could count.
    Some time ago I decided to leave it forever, as I experienced everything possible in the game. I was hoping that this update will be a reason for me to come back.
    Alas.

5. davoker

davoker Cosmic Narwhal

I have always defended the team, "that people do not have patience", "that the game is not dead", "that they will update soon", I have never said anything negative, until now.

RIP Starbound, nice objects are not going to give me what the update was supposed to give me, at least the game is very complete and you can play and enjoy 100%, but I would have been very excited to see that new mechanics .. .

How else do you feel immersed in the game? the games that have DLCs, for example, Fallout 4, when you put Nuka World or Far Harbor, is something that does not even fit in the game, it's like a new game that is part of it, I do not know if I explain.

I could have put that new system in anyway, what happens is that they are very busy with the damn console, as always, the console always weighs down the PC, U_U

Anyway, this is what there is, I do not think we will see much more in this game, they will do the port for console, they will make 2 patches with 4 irrelevant things, and little more, a pity.

Even so I love this game, as it is right now, but it would have been nice to see the new thing xD

PS: Now if it would be interesting for someone to make a mod with those mechanics, it would be the only mod I would use, play with the original game, personal taste, but that mod would put it, something that the game was going to have that in the end did not have, the excuse perfect to use xD

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Jumbum, Kumpel, Ickura and 2 others like this.
  6. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

"Hang on tight!" Top 10 Anime Plot Twists.

I look forward to the smaller scope updates that hopefully have 1.4 mechanics in them. I agree with other users in how certain parts of the game feel disconnected from others. I think that 1.4's bounty hunting quest system would've been good for everything else. Considering how the quests went across planets and structures/dungeons, like the story's scanning feature.

Ickura and Kumpel like this.
  7. Ziver7

Ziver7 Void-Bound Voyager

It's been well over six months since you teased the bounty hunter mechanic and you're just now realizing it's not that great? So what's gonna replace it...?

Boshed, Kumpel, Ickura and 2 others like this.
  8. Shadow Wolf TJC

Shadow Wolf TJC Spaceman Spiff

So Chucklefish, what exactly is wrong with the bounty hunting system? How exactly wouldn't it fit into Starbound, which I've always seen as the kind of free-flow choose-your-adventure kind of game where you could choose to focus on building up and managing your colonies, traveling the galaxy in search of new things to discover, and/or spend lots of time digging away in search of that item that you're looking for, all while avoiding the perils that come with the job?

Personally, I'm the kind of guy who would find myself doing each of those things, albeit at different times, and when I'm in the mood to do so. With that in mind, I would've wanted to give the bounty hunting mode a try, just as I gave the mechs and post-game dungeons their own tries. (I didn't care much about fishing, which I felt was an even more boring and "tacked-on" addition compared to bounty hunting, but eh, I probably wouldn't want to remove fishing if someone else was more interested in it.) Perhaps the features that were developed for this cancelled bounty hunter update could've been integrated as part of an expansion to the procedurally-generated quest system in order to encourage players to explore more worlds?

Later on, I was hoping that there would be an expansion to the colony system, such as, say, introducing tenants that want to live in certain biomes, being tasked with adding colonists with particular specialties that improve the quality of life of other colonists, who would then offer you better rewards, being tasked with establishing new colonies on different planets with special biomes, establishing trade routes between colonies, both within the same planet and between different planets, for better rewards, protecting your colonies from invasions, epidemics, etc., dealing with enemy blockades of your colonies (which would require the use of a mech to board the enemy ships), and even dealing with space pirates, sometimes based on a planet or asteroid field near one of your colonies, that interfere with your colonies' trade routes (thus encouraging players to do some bounty hunting of their own).

While it might be true that not everyone would be interested in being a bounty hunter, that doesn't necessarily mean that you shouldn't include it, especially after announcing it. To cancel it after working so hard on it seems like a cop out to me, which I believe is bad for your PR if it disappoints the playerbase, which it seems to have done. (Look at Daikatana, Duke Nukem Forever, Mighty No. 9, or No Man's Sky for example.) While it may not please everyone, it's better to please some and not disappoint anybody than it is to please nobody and disappoint some. Hopefully, Chucklefish, you'll reconsider your decision.

9. The Atomic Option

The Atomic Option Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the update! I really wish these were at least every other month so we know WTF is going on. I had assumed you weren't really working on the game anymore, especially with you promoting your friends game and talking about how you worked hard to help him out and stuff.

I can handle a feature turning out to be a bad idea, but it seems like you guys put *a lot* of time into it in order to figure that out. o_O

My biggest hope is still that you'll do something about the currently insane grind to get enough collectables for the collectable achievement. Currrently the only way to get kills fast enough to score enough of them without hundreds of hours of circling a planet killing mobs is to use mods that add creature spawners. I think it should be more attainable in the base game. Are any of the smaller content updates you mentioned going to include something like that?

10. Bookhorse

Bookhorse Scruffy Nerf-Herder

RIP
    It's been fun while it lasted.

The Squid, lordbociek, Kumpel and 4 others like this.
  11. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I expected nothing and I'm still dissapointed.

I guess all we're gonna get is some useless furniture, huh. Oh well, at least I have Frackin Universe.

Kumpel, Ickura, STCW262 and 3 others like this.
  12. Amyas Leigh

Amyas Leigh Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why the focus on Xbone of all things?
    And way to take a dump on all the fans. I'm sure what console release needs is less content. :facepalm: I suppose we should be grateful there is any work being done at all. Although if there wasn't at least we'd have less broken mods. That are usually better than what was "updated" in the first place.

Boshed, Jumbum, Ickura and 1 other person like this.
  13. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

the only reason i still play is fracken and i have pritty much stopped because i've seen all that fracken has.

14. Pohany

Pohany Parsec Taste Tester

More money in their pockets ! ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

Jumbum and Ickura like this.
  15. Luscinius

Luscinius Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So... The only feature that got me interested (even though we will be good guys again), for which i even completely rebuilded and refurnished my ship to add a holding cell, is essentially scrapped? Great.

Jumbum likes this.
  16. Apocalypse Jack

Apocalypse Jack Void-Bound Voyager

So... the feature I've been sitting here waiting months for... the one promising to give me something to do to end the tedium and actually inspire me to fire up the game again... gets put on hold after a month of complete radio silence, so that y'all can focus on porting the game over to the XBONE?

Needless to say, I'm thrilled.

I spent the first two years of this game's development unable to play it because it was so poorly optimized that my mid-range PC chugged on it like a middle-schooler on a milk carton. Now it's shed more than half it's user-base, the friends I bought it to play with refuse to play it, and the features that I was most excited about have all either been stripped out ages ago in favor of appealing to a mainstream audience that clearly wasn't ever there... been left half-broken and abandoned for months to work on the 1.4 Bounty Hunting update... or now, in the case of 1.4... been put on indefinite hold while they work on the porting the game over to consoles.

I'm done defending Starbound to my friends, and I'm done holding my breath for Chucklefish to make the game into the one which I was promised when I put my money down in early access.

Lesson learned, guys. I'll be more careful with my limited funds in the future.

Jumbum, Ickura, izzykuroneko and 2 others like this.
  17. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

A thread full of brats
    A big Overreaction
    Give Chucklefish time

Eralia and D.M.G. like this.
  18. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Let's try and avoid name-calling. Things are tense enough as it is.

Personally, I'm a bit bummed, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I'd much rather Chucklefish take more time to flesh out a mechanic than introduce another passable-yet-disjointed one. Wouldn't be the end of the world if they did, but I'm curious to see what's going to end up happening with it.

19. Eralia

Eralia Phantasmal Quasar

weve been waiting for updates for so long sweet kluex...
    im glad at least that youre putting it on hold instead of releasing an unfinished mess
    so what the whole update will be super minor stuff? why is it not 1.3.whatever then?
    i want somethig to be added at least since i dont care about console ports(unless its on switch,)

Ickura likes this.
  20. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I suppose at least we'd still get whatever API expansions that where developed as part of 1.4?

Kawa likes this.