Dev Blog Starbound 1.2 [UNSTABLE] Patch Notes

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Dec 7, 2016.

?

Which feature are you most excited about?

1. Terraforming

46 vote(s)
    26.3%
  2. Ancient Vaults

69 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Weapon upgrades

35 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Elemental damage

16 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Other (leave a comment!)

9 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Campaigner

Campaigner Giant Laser Beams

Having checked it out a bit, I can say with 100% certainty that I hate the procedural boss. It's 99% bullet sponge. It's got way WAY too much health, and it isn't even hard to fight. I died of boredom, quite literally, twice. That really bummed me out. Terraforming is nice, but man that boss was annoyingly boring. I fought three of them in total, two having a mace/dash, and the other having a sword. Sword one killed me quick during the second round because I was apathetic, so I didn't even see what all it was doing.

My biggest gripe though; the summoned enemies CAN'T BE CAPTURED. They have the rotating style I've always wanted to add to some of my creatures in my mod, so that's a plus, but it really bums me that I can't catch them and use them as pets. Same thing happened when I found out my Moontant and Apex Mutant buddies weren't pets anymore, and even more painful when i couldn't tame my Po friend after one of the beta changes.

EDIT: just killed one more of those things right after posting. It needed stabbing lasers to remove its shield. THAT is a fun fight, timing the stab to a dash attack. The other three were bullet sponges, but this one was enjoyable.

2. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To be honest, I don't see the point in terraforming when there's soooooo many planets already to go to, unless you had unique biomes you could only go to with unique terraformers...and IMO the price for the terraformers and the essence fuel...you'd have to beat like 20+ dungeons to simply terraform a planet. That's a BIT of a grind, don't you think? To be able to make a planet go from volcanic to lush? When you COULD just spend 1 fuel to go to a lush planet!

But that said, it was pretty neat terraforming a moon to lush and seeing those orange hopping creatures get crazy air from the low gravity, and creatures start coming to the surface. Makes me wonder if you can even terraform asteroids!

I hope you guys also fix terraformers on oceans too. I think it should effect the liquid in some way...or mini-biome terraformers that can affect large quantities of liquids at least. I was kinda hoping we'd have the ability to make oil oceans or other crazy stuff. Or make Toxic biomes get rid of the poison and change it all back to regular water...or even dry out the oceans entirely / change them to magma.

Out of all this stuff though, the thing that interested me the most was the new monster stuff you left for modders. Am I reading it right when I can assume that perhaps a modder (or Chucklefish team) could make a new crafting station that allows procedurally generated creatures to be hand-crafted sort of like Spore? I would love some sort of system where you could capture creatures, and then play frankenstein with their DNA and mix and match creature parts to make your own custom creatures!

Oh and could someone tell me the console command to spawning the microformers? I only found a tarry one but I don't know the command to actually acquiring some for testing.

3. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I already posted a small code snippet from player_primary.lua that contradicts this, therefore I'm not sure why this is being repeated. Player elemental resistance is a thing per the latest nightly. I haven't looked at armors etc yet though. But the code is already applying the correct adjustment for players.

Yep he's made his mind. We aren't allowed a single positive status update thread though. No wonder they're so sparse. When they attempted a mod spotlight thread... same problem.

Oh well I'm happy with what I'm seeing here so far.

I'll also note for people that the MM has a flashlight built in now that activate in scan mode. That's a minor thing they didn't mention but one less thing to carry around(prior to lighted backpacks) is nice.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Firebird Zoom and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  4. boybeastling

boybeastling Space Hobo

ah jeeze sorry I'm a new assumptive space hobo. I'm very sorry for my mechanics assumption transgressions.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  5. boybeastling

boybeastling Space Hobo

Could you explain what this code does and how it's applied? Curious code hobo here.

6. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

That's part of the applyDamageRequest function of /stats/player_primary.lua
    line 87 - 89

It probably is more obvious in that context. Anyhow after the base damage is calculated. the element type for the damage is returned for elementalStat
    The resistance rating for that element is looked up for resistance.
    Lets assume it returned 0.1(will work out to 10%) and the base damage was 100
    damage = 100 - (100 * .1)
    damage = 100 - 10
    damage = 90

7. boybeastling

boybeastling Space Hobo

ahhh, so anything can be made to affect this resistance rating. What items change that value?

8. Moose2001

Moose2001 Phantasmal Quasar

Po still uncaptureable :/

Game literally unplayable.

Proydoha and Kawa like this.
  9. GalopaWXY

GalopaWXY Void-Bound Voyager

I have two questions!
    - Any news about the crew duplication bug?
    and
    - What happens to villages and houses when you terraform a planet? Also does it change its tier and the equipement found in chests?

10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Will this patch be compatible with old characters once released? I haven't been here long enough to experience previous patches, but I'd like to know whether I should back up the current version of the game.

11. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Character and/or Universe wipes were only present before release. It was stated that there will be no more wipes after release. :nuruhappy:

~ Iris ~

12. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yaaay good work cant wait for stable release!
    also does terraforming change planet threat lvls and ore that will be possible to find?

it woul nice if you could upgrade weapons "on the go" lets say protectorate long sword instead of getting it at begging then but make it storng at end
    just do partial upgrades (well repairs in this case) to able to keep him "capable"
    but i guess this thing is for modders huh

13. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

Not a fan of gating this content behind the story. We were originally promised a game with multiple progression paths, the story was just supposed to be one of several. I don't like the story or the instanced content, it's a sandbox exploration survival game and these contained static story instances are like ketchup in my cheerios. I was happy enough to be able to avoid most of them up until now, but you are locking terraforming and late game weapon crafting not only behind the end of the story, but you put them inside another static contained instance? Why? You know very well how out of place this content is which is the entire reason it has to be in it's own self-contained bubble with special game rules.

At the very least instead of forcing us to finish the story to access these vaults, make it so you can craft a key from solarium or something.

14. Ainzoal

Ainzoal Ketchup Robot

How is that any different given the gear you would need to get Solarium in the first place? You'd just change one gating for another. If you want absolute freedom either use the admin command or a creative mode mod.

15. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Nothing at all.

16. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Thanks!

Now, am I the only one hoping that they'll change the upgrading system so that the item look stays the same? It'd make it possible for players to keep upgrading without needing a ridiculous amount of new weapon designs, and only being able to upgrade a weapon once kind of defeats the point, in that it's just a once-off form of post-game content, rather than something which you can continuously have fun with.

DragonsForce likes this.
  17. Astasia

Astasia Pangalactic Porcupine

I like progression, just natural in-game progression, not hard locks behind scripted story events that make up a small and irrelevant chunk of the game, designed to frustrate people or test their platforming skills (same thing). Mining, farming, building, exploring, those are natural gameplay elements, they all follow the normal game rules and take place in the actual universe, and we were promised ways to progress through all those means. For the most part they delivered, but then they went and did things like tie outpost shops and their offered items behind story missions, and now an entire patch worth of content is being locked behind the final boss which I have never bothered to fight because I just don't want to.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  18. Tamamo89

Tamamo89 Pangalactic Porcupine

Question about Elemental Weapons.
    Do <element>bow damage types still count as bows for purpose of hunting?

19. Lobo Ōkami

Lobo Ōkami Void-Bound Voyager

It looks amazing!! When this update will come into the normal game?? Thanks :D

20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

My guess is a week or two.

Incidentally, am I the only one who finds it impressive that we've gotten two post 1.0 updates within the space of 5 months?.