1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Space travel, Bases, Ships, your thoughts!

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DawnOfNights, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was thinking to myself "well, the worlds seem to be awesome, i mean, they look epic, and well generated" But what about space travel? How does it work? is it some sort of point and click system, maybe a 2d scroller past planets, or a top-down theme?
    How about your ship? Can you customize it, how big is it, do you have some sort of huge base ship and use a shuttle to get to land, or do you get beamed down? so many speculations, so little answers....

How do you think this will work, im a little curious, since this is somewhat the core of the game.
    I hope it is like some sort of normandy, that would be sweet.

2. Яetrospekt

Яetrospekt Pangalactic Porcupine

Apparently navigation in space is done by a star-map :)
    This was released in a Q&A by Tiy himself. Hope it's helpful. But it's also been said that you can have customizable ships, mechs etc, All cool stuff.

See you around mate :p

3. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Space travel is a menu. You have a star chart and you select what planet you want to explore. Most of the game starts when you get to the planet. I use planet loosely because they could include other things to land on besides just planets.

Ga ninjaed. Well that's what I get for typing slow.

4. Herowho

Herowho Pangalactic Porcupine

All of that is true. Plus, you get your own space station as your main "hub". You could also build a planetary base on a planet that you've "claimed"

5. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

I think it would be a good idea to add space combat post-production. It would be an add-on that they could make some moolah off of, and players may get a kick out of

6. nomotog

I would like to see that too. This is wishlist territory, but honestly this game keeps surprising me with it's ambition so who knows.

Let me geek out here, but wouldn't it be cool if they included a system where you could build space ship out of bricks or parts then be able to both fly around it and walk around it like a combo of battlestations and terraria.

7. LemonRobot

LemonRobot Phantasmal Quasar

Now that.. would be pretty damn awesome.

8. Grayecastle

Grayecastle Big Damn Hero

Suggestion category material you think?

9. nomotog

Too out there. It's wishlist material. Fun to geek out about, but it could give the developer a heart attack if we suggest it.

10. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If that was possible, the game would be even more epic, cant wait to make a normandy(mass effect fan). It would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

11. nomotog

I was thinking about making the Normandy too. Small world.

I think the reason we won't see custom built ships, not really because it's hard, but because it's really a whole second game.

12. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

I think the ships would be too complex. To make your own world the devs mentioned terraforming. The ship is just a way to go back and forth, but I don't know how research and manufacturing will be done. If it's all done on the ship or if you need to expand on a planet you terraform to make complex things.

13. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

You probably use your ship to blow up planets when you get that ability.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.