Some things that made me wonder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grimmturd, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Why is it that Clint has an arsenal table during the Stardew Valley Fair yet he never sells any weapons to the player? Even Marlon is there to comment on his "blades getting sharper every year.. along with his prices." Which implies that Marlon is buying out Clint's stock before reselling to you, likely marking the prices up significantly. During The Spirit's Eve festival, Clint says one of his "iridium-infused maces would make short work of these skeletons" that Marlon has in a cage. What was the reason behind why the local blacksmith never sold weapons the player?

When you remove the glittering boulder and are rewarded the copper pan to find ore in the waterways, wouldn't it be more fitting to have Demetrius handle the cut-scene since he lives nearby and is actually in the same area doing scientific calculations for most of the fall? Or is it just because Willy looks like prospector?

Is Welwick some reference to the now-defunct Dionne Warwick's Psychic Friends Network? During the Stardew Valley Fair, she sets her tent up right on top of Mona's gravestone. While in our reality, this would be tremendously disrespectful, it seems to put a nod towards some of the bizarre history of the village and it's inhabitants. I had perused a few older Steam threads with speculation about the Wizard and his possible "daughters within the town" and, while it seems Abigail is the obvious candidate, I think she's too obvious. In fact I think she has "daughter of a wizard envy" which is why she's so aloof. I'd think that Emily is likely a better candidate due to her spiritual self-awareness, blue hair, psychic leanings, and favoring gemstones. These are minor things and each character can be connected to the wizard in some way or another if you look hard enough, which also makes me think that more than one child may be borne from the wizard's influence. And by influence, I mean that he may not be a "father" in the traditional sense, but that his magic has affected much of the town's offspring in some way or another. He does say he "watches them in secret" which can mean many things.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

www dot wizard-bedroom-spycams dot com

Featuring Abigail, with guest appearances by Penny, Maru and the twins

Premium subscription also includes milf action with Leah, Robin, Jodi and Caroline

Pam available on freeview

Zosa and Grimmturd like this.
      • Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

I've got a gutter-brained, jaded and darkly comedic way of viewing the world as much as any other creep or Cohen Brothers fan, but this isn't exactly the direction I was planning on taking this post. Kudos for going there, tho.:disshappy:

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

I always figured either he needs a license to sell weaponry (and thus can only sell to distributos, thus the guild), or he has no knowledge of you having any need for them, after all... all he knows is that you are a farmer! well, he does know you go to the mines... but then again the guild already got you a weapon or two.

Erick648 likes this.
          • Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

On rainy days he tells you to go to the mines to find ore. Unless he's clueless as to what dangers lie in the mines. But then I wonder why he doesn't go looking for ore in the mines as well, since the quarry wouldn't have been accessible for the first portion of the game. His picture also suggests he's wearing chainmail armor under his apron. Would be no need to wear that if he was just working the forge.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

he could be into ye olde cosplay :rofl: ren-fair stuff use to be a thing in the usa(may still be? it's been more than a decade since i had to know) he could just be a massive nerd who likes to use his readily available tools and resources to make authentic-looking replicas

Erick648 likes this.
              • Grimmturd

Grimmturd Cosmic Narwhal

Well technology is clearly present and available (Lewis has a truck, Sebastian works from his computer, Maru and Demetrius are very science-oriented, etc..) but there are no guns, only a potential reference from Kent regarding the war. So assuming Clint is aware of the dangers within the mines, he and Marlon would be the only ones able to supply anyone with proper weaponry to deal with those dangers, serious weaponsmithing or just as a hobby.

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i'm not saying it's not current-day alternative usa just that clint might like making replicate weapons

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

My guess...

Originally Clint was going to be the sword guy. Content was probably created to feature Clint's role in the Valley's weapons trade... Then it was decided to spin off the weapons to the adventurer's guild in order to better spread out the games content among it's locations.

If you stay in his shop after closing time, at 5:00 pm Clint moves over to the furnace and works on what appears to be a sword. It's an animation that I'm sure was created to be a feature for Clint's character, but now it's hidden where most players never see it.

I think it's one of the "artifacts" of a single developer, indie game. With a team you can bang out design decisions that confuse existing content. When someone's working by themselves I think they're probably more prone to go forward with the content they've got and hope it doesn't become an issue. :D

Corraidhín likes this.
                    • Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

If I had to come up with an in-universe justification for it, I'd guess that there are regulations stating that private citizens aren't allowed to own firearms for any reason (even fighting in the mines), and only the Adventurer's Guild is allowed to sell melee weapons to individuals (since they perform a combat-related service), while Clint is only allowed to sell them to licensed distributors (such as the Adventurer's Guild), like Corraidhin said.