1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [SOLVED] Unable to set Starbound affinity!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nathan00107, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

Hello all.

I'm trying to set the affinity of 'starbound_opengl' to use all my cores and when I click 'Set Affinity' I get the error 'Operation could not be completed. Access is denied.'. Please help me.

Thank you.

2. sss505

sss505 Poptop Tamer

I'm not quite sure how you "set the affinity" (please explain) but did you make sure you have an administrative account on your computer?

3. nathan00107

Task Manager > Processes > starbound_opengl.exe > Right Click > Set Affinity

There is only one user on the PC so I assume that it already has admin privileges.

4. sss505

sss505 Poptop Tamer

Go to control panel and find your user account. From there you should be able to find the setting. if not just say so.
    Most likely it's an admin privilege issue

5. nathan00107

I am already set to an 'Administrator' and the problem still persists.

6. sss505

sss505 Poptop Tamer

I'll toy with it myself and see if i can find a solution, though don't hold your breath. What platform are you using?

7. nathan00107

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I am also using starbound_opengl.

8. sss505

sss505 Poptop Tamer

Try it without open gl. It might be some kind of security measure with Starbound. But i'm just shooting ideas here I can't say for sure about any of it yet. I would also recommend changing the priority

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  9. nathan00107

Launching the normal starbound still throws the same error at me.

Setting the affinity worked before the big balance update was released.

Also, should I try setting them all to run as an admin?

10. sss505

sss505 Poptop Tamer

It won't hurt

11. nathan00107

Setting Steam, Starbound Launcher and the Starbound OpenGL to 'Run As Admin' did not fix the issue.

12. nathan00107

I fixed it. Turns out the task manager didn't have admin privileges. This was fixed by clicking the 'Show all processes' button in the 'Processes' tab.

13. Levoire

Levoire Space Hobo

Out of interest, was there any noticeable difference with the game using all of the available processing cores?

14. nathan00107

Haha, turns out that it was already set to use all 4 of my cores. Oh well, I learnt something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.