1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So...What did you expect after 1.0 release?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Naiko, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Naiko

Naiko Void-Bound Voyager

Well, yes, it is kinda soon to start talking about this topic but, im gonna do it anyway!

Why? because Starbound is one of the games with more potential that i have ever seen, i want this game to be excellent! :nuruflirt:

And with the talent of the developers i know that it is so possible, right now 1.0 looks really promising and the game changed a lot since i first played it one year ago, but i think that it still have some problems in its core that can be improved...

-First of all, the combat, i think that it is...good, it improved a lot since the beggining of the development but the enemies attack are just not interesting enough, some of them just run and push you randomly and...thats it, i will like to see some enemies randomly growing wings, throwing rocks, destroying the enviroment or changing patterns, etc, etc...

-New races? I think that there's room for more races (....dlc's?) so i will love to see new folks with new weapons and costumes in the game!

-More interesting variety on planets? The planets really feel diferent from eachother (most of the time) but the thing is, they are not really that different in terms of level design (maybe just the aquatic ones) so i will like to see some planets with, for example, levitating fields, laarge lakes with little islands, a little bit more of creativity in the construction of this things can really add a lot to the game!

...What did you guys think? major improvements are going to be a regular thing or im just hoping too much?

2. HighTech109

HighTech109 Void-Bound Voyager

I think thay these kinds of improvements are going to be done after 1.0, the devs are quite responsive to the community.
    What I would really like to see more of is the missions. I haven't played the Nightly, but I think only 8 missions are not really enough. I would like to see new end-game missions added later on.:nuruhype:

Naiko likes this.
  3. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I agree that enemy attacks need some more variation. They originally removed a lot of the more unique attacks because after enemy AI was overhauled with a new system, the attacks were too difficult to recreate. I hope they can find a workaround and bring back some more neat variation. Though not just in attacks, but general behaviour. The unique enemies have sort of been a step toward this.

The devs don't have immediate intentions of adding any more playable races in the forseeable future due to the astronomical amount of spritework, writing (think of all the item descriptions) and lore tinkering required. I'd say this particular area is better left to mods so the devs can focus on more non-race-specific content.

More biome types (and variations), missions, items, dungeons, structures, etc. is all very likely. This is prime update material, and stuff I'd enjoy seeing. Really anything that adds to the replayability or exploration/collection factors. I'd also be glad to see the return of things like Space Stations from the depths of the Planning Stages. I get that ships are sort of like that, and barren planets fill that role pretty well, but I'd love to have a free-floating structure of my own design that I can fly straight to in the space map. Stuff like more ship customizability would be nice too, such as deciding what sized rooms go where. Maybe having an "upgrade quota" of how much space you can add per ship upgrade (do I want to add one huge cargo room or a bunch of smaller rooms up or to the back? Do I want it near or far from the bridge?) More unique items is going to be a biggie. Varied and interesting vanities (yes, MORE), instruments, codexes, tons of weapons, new techs that are more varied than our current tiny selection (perhaps even rare tech blueprints you can find in the wild?), etc.
    Basically, I just hope to see the whole thing expanded on. Sandbox, questing, building, exploring, combat, enemies, lore - the whole shebang.

Naiko likes this.
  4. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm kinda sad the original side quests got removed (catch a bug with a net, bake a cake, find the unfunny guy his script, etc) as it feel like the only real non-self made goal is to do the main quest now. I would like them to be added back as the outpost was meant to be a home away from home but now I can't find an excuse to even go there anymore unless it is to sell junk to a shop and grab the next main quest. I know you are meant to build a colony and do their randomize quests. While extremely fun and I love it very much you gotta admit at the end of the day it is still randomize meaning there is no differences between doing it and not doing it in terms of 100% completion of the game beside maybe for the related achievements. I haven't play on multiplayer yet as I think I'll just wait for Stable release to do all of that but I can only assume the unstable servers Outposts are much deader compare to before as no one ever need to go there and when they do they will be on the later half just getting their next main quest. While 1.0 added so much I felt in terms of real quests or goals there is less to do than before. Sure finding a golden ducky was extremely annoying but it was something. With the scanner being a thing now I can print hundreds of them if I wanted so I don't see why they were removed.

I want the Outpost to be as lively as it once was. When I first heard the Outpost was going to improve with you on 1.0 I was so happy but now what is the point when the only thing I done to directly help was making a teddy bear? You may as well not even be there for the other shops, they kinda just opened because why not? It no longer feel like a home away from home, it just feel like some random place full of characters that may as well not even exist.

CorraidhĂ­n and Naiko like this.
  5. Naiko

Naiko Void-Bound Voyager

Totally agree. Those quests were awesome! i wanted to keep doing them because of the rewards too, you get to know those characters as well...

6. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Wait what. The sidequests were removed outright? I know they were replaced with updated ones many updates ago, but they're just gone now? That seems counterintuitive since it means you have to build colonies to get sidequests (asides from rarely finding them in the wild) and they're all randomized, making the whole "building, farming, combat, and questing are all seperate things" point feel kind of off.

If this is true, I definitely hope a lot more unique (i.e. not random-genned) sidequest content is added.
    Is Mr. Mystery Mask at the bottom of the outpost still there at least?

7. Zerukoba

Zerukoba Pangalactic Porcupine

Yea he is still there.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Try Frackin'Universe.

It addresses almost ALL of your points:

1). Combat? There are these large titans on certain planets who can, yes, punch holes in the backwalls (this hurts like a beeeeep) if you get hit with it. There are other many new mobs, with new attack patterns and movement. There are also robots with gauss cannons that can break weaker blocks too.
    2). New Races? Not so much, but other mods deliver. Felins already works on Unstable if you can find the hidden version.
    3). Variety on planets? FU was built around this! Lots and lots and lots and lots of new Biomes and Biome combinations, AND, liquids CAN CHANGE BLOCKS.

So go try it out!

It's a little buggy on Unstable just yet, but we're trying to get the bugs worked out so that it is ready to go on July 22nd. Stable Frackin'Universe is rock solid stable, though.

The only thing about Unstable FrackinUniverse is you need to be proficient with GitHub though; it is updated several times a day.
    --- Post updated ---
    Go visit any randomly generated NPC village... soon you'll be doing quests for hours if you want, because the randomly generated quests never stop, lol.

Naiko and Tamorr like this.
  9. Another Kevin

Another Kevin Phantasmal Quasar

No... please....

[​IMG]

10. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Hmm... Since I am not really all that combat oriented... I am not too worried of it, since what they have is fine. Sure Post 1.0 I wouldn't mind some more additions here and their, but it has not really ever been the primary focus of the game as xylia put in another thread. But additional things i wouldn't mind seeing; however not something I would expect.

Biomes, blocks, trees, aesthetics, loot, dungeons(peaceful, neutral, and agressive), quests, extended story, side stories, AI improvements(minor, as I like the silliness of the NPCs, and they funtion properly most of the time), furniture, equipment, techs, ships(selective change), ship pets(selective change), and more environment type things. mainly what I would expect; more on the asset heavy side of things that is.

I don't expect races, since there are plenty of modders doing well to flesh out that section.

As to terrain generation... I found a key island, or well it found me. What I mean is I was doing quests in a new floran village, and the quest would eventually point strait up. >< I'm like wha? Of course I had to dirt my way up but wasn't too much higher and sure enough was a floating island above the village. Rather decent size too with little islets off to side of it. Nothing like digging through the bottom of an island starting from the bottom... Anyway, there are quite a few surprises in store in my questing, and I'm sure they will expand a lot of what I would like to see.

Sad though about the outpost quests, although similar ones are with the random gen ones. The only one I have not seen is capture bug one... or the ticket and song writer ones. Coffee & cake is related to food, and there are plenty of those type quests. Plus you expand your cooking recipes by doing those. Still would like to see more of those added; quests, recipes, food, and the like. Too bad we don't have half block capabilities in building, that was something I loved in terraria; however that is ok since we have lots of materials to wade in, and block placement is quite better in having only 1 block for both (back/fore)ground. Maybe options will expand later...

I am looking forward to what they will do post 1.0. :nuruhappy:

11. Ludovic

Ludovic Giant Laser Beams

I believe a lot of that is coming up 1.0.
    Combat: Procedural monsters combat abilities are currently on the basic end... however modders confirms most of the architecture for randomized abilities is still there. I very much believe that alone might make it into one of the "themed updates" hinted at later so that they could dedicate 100% of their time to make it as good as possible rather than deliver something half-baked due to time compromises trying to cram it in for release. I agree with the decision and iirc some people have asked the devs more directly to confirm this might indeed be the plan for the future.
    Part of the current state of things is likely to make sure damage-on-touch works as well as they hope while unique monsters form a base to test out some different types of abilities in a more controlled environment than the old fully randomized monsters, too.

Races: Races have been more or less confirmed they will not be added as official content. However modding more than supports the ability to add more races to the games and it's implied that the preferred path of development is to leave "new" races to modders. Right now race content, this is my hypothesis mind you and not confirmed knowledged, is more likely to focus on human and novakid content post-releaae.

Planets: As far as I know, this is more or less working as intended.... "for the time being". Basically they wanted to focus on more "earthly" environments for the official release and get them "right" so that -after- release they can consider adding more alien and unique environments once they can afford to go all out and focus on those and those alone(since more "conventional" environment will have long been already in the game by then).

12. Another Kevin

Well... Every Fenerox that i'll meet will die to my frustration.

13. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

"DLC" is a pretty general term.
    /somethingabout20charactersright?

14. Another Kevin

Well.. Practically Starbound's a dlc, but i think you know what kind of dlc i was referring to.

15. Naiko

Naiko Void-Bound Voyager

Huh, i will need to check that out when stable comes in, thanks for the info ;)

16. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

how is it a DLC lol?

17. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

"DLC" is just DownLoadable Content.

Which says nothing about whether or not there will be costs attached to it.

(And CF has repeatedly stated that updates and such -which yes would be DLC- would NOT come with a fee attached.)

18. Plex_Director

Plex_Director Pangalactic Porcupine

I would hope that moons get more variety and become a little more that just ghost infested fuel farms.
    Just looking at our own solar system, there's tons of different moon-types out there.

So having ice moons, subglacial ocean moons, volcanic moons, aso. as main biome types would really elevate their usefulness and make them interesting to explore.

There ought to be dungeons found on them as well! Things like (Erchius) mining operations, research bases, survivalist habitats, human refugee camps, "beehive"-style subsurface settlements, space pirate hideouts or even avian airships, all seem like viable options for moons.

Sh4dowWalker96 and BloodyMonarch like this.
  19. Eonwulf

Eonwulf Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just want fishing added as soon as possible. Fishing is my favorite side activity in games that support it.

Noir Korrane and Alessondria like this.
  20. Another Kevin

A game that basically has no existing physical copy is content provided by a company that you have to download.

Downloadable Content, DLC.