1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

So the music in starbound is absolutely fantastic. So i just decided to make one song more crisp.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ScreamingMime, Nov 20, 2013.

?

Do you like the edited version?

1. Yes

13.5%
  2. No

46.2%
  3. Meh

34.6%
  4. I cant tell the difference

5.8%
  1. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

To me it sounds too sharp... The original is softer and more easy on the ears.

2. Coin

Coin 2.7182818284590...

Since everyone seems to be repeating the same thing, I'll try to leave some constructive criticism. The treble is definitely boosted too much. When you boost treble, or any frequency for that matter, other frequencies are crowded out and so you have to be careful not to boost one thing too much.

When editing or remastering a song, listen through it a good number of times, paying close attention. Then figure out what sounds like it needs to be changed, and work from there. Instead of boosting the treble throughout the entire song you could try small sections at a time. Make sure to look at the song as a whole, and not just a single moment, and if you make a change to the entire song because you think it sounds good on the beginning, it may have the complete opposite effect on other parts of the song. Also, make sure to take your time, there is no reason to rush when working with music! (I hope you find this helpful, I'm not meaning to come across as rude of pretentious)

Maruku likes this.
  3. I think you're trying to de-reverb the piece, yes? Sometimes I go a little crazy on it because I find it smooths over some mixing issues that crop up. I'll have to see if I have time to open up the project file and kill all the reverb to show you what it sounds like without it-- my guess is that's what you're going for here.

4. Pie4Pigs

Pie4Pigs Existential Complex

First of all, you're misquoting me. I said "Don't fix what isn't broken", not "Don't fix what is broken".

Secondly, fixing is different from building upon. Instead of introducing new ideas, he is making minor changes in an attempt to make the song sound better. If you're going to be so quick to correct people, at least read what they have to say.