Sneaking Mechanics

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Alternal, Dec 16, 2012.

?

Does this sound like a good way to implement sneaking?

1. Yay!

29 vote(s)
    90.6%
  2. Nay!

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

So with sneaking being announced in the game, I had some ideas of how this could be implemented. And not just in Single Player. Sneaking is hard to do in a multiplayer side scrolling game, so I got thinking about how this could be done. I had another thread on this, so I took some of it and neatened it up.

Mechanics:
    So, your sneaking ability would be shown as a percentage, 1% - 100%, and would directly influence your character's transparency. So obviously having 100% invisibility wouldn't be fair in both modes, so maybe cap it at about 95% or around that mark, making it so that you can very effectively sneak around, but also be seen if someone is looking for you.
    And for this to work right, so you could spot sneaking players, you would need to look where they are for a one second buffer before you see them 0% transparent. Therefore the sneaking person gets a second to get out of your sight, and you can still spot them.
    On top of that, shining a flash light and other concentrated light source on a sneaking player will make them 0% transparent to everyone, so they're kinda screwed.

In addition to the light sensitivity of sneaking, weather conditions will also affect your ability to sneak. Simply put, the harder its raining or snowing, and the more fog there is, the better your chances! (Special thanks to Blazerer for this part!)

Sneaking Criticals (New Added Feature):
    Thankfully some of the people commenting here reminded me about another feature I had in mind that would coincide with the mechanics here, and that would be Sneak Attacks. Sneak attacks are pretty self explanatory, land a hit while you're successfully sneaking, and boom, critical hit. I'm sure a 2x hit critical would be plenty of extra power, but if you wanted to have more, then perhaps new items could further the power. Perfect for snipers and ninjas. :ninja:

Uses:
    The reason I think this would be a sick feature is because a lot of people like to take things slowly, and not rush in with a massive Gatling gun. Sneaking is a great mechanic. And plus it could create some awesome space-ninja clans., you could all sneak in a building, wait for another team, and ambush. It makes for some epic role-playing as well heheheh.

List of Features (TL;DR):
    • Sneaking effects your character's transparency in multiplayer.
    • Sneaking works on a percentage system, from 1% to about 95%.
    • Light conditions as well as the player's gear or sneak ability influence the hidden percentage.
    • A 2x critical hit on an enemy while successfully sneaking.
    • You can become an awesome space ninja.
    And as always, thank you for reading!

2. Xefs

Xefs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pretty good idea, I hope its implemented in the game like this!

Anyways, how would one search for a player? Would it be hovering the mouse over them or what?

3. EnderRydel

EnderRydel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Certainly an interesting idea. Definitely would add a new element to PvP. Though honestly I'd probably have difficulty implementing it correctly just because I in general suck at all things PvP related.

4. Alternal

Well searching for a player would be simply looking at the screen for a transparent moving object, but if they're in your immediate line of sight for over a second or two, then they're visible. Also shining a light source on them.
    Mhm. Well darkness acts as it's own cover so 100% in certain levels is totally fine. Sounds like a good mechanic as well, you'd need to be careful not to hit any traps.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  5. enemarius86

enemarius86 Cosmic Narwhal

One like from me!

6. Alternal

Thank you!
    Much appreciated.

Kingofstarryskies likes this.
  7. Kingofstarryskies

Kingofstarryskies Pangalactic Porcupine

i like it. could you used this mechanic to do assanatons? or perhaps, sneak behind an enemy, do a little luck roll, and if you win the roll, you plant a little bomb if you have one. then you sneak off and activate it. :ninja:

8. Alternal

Well attacking enemies would be even better if you were stealthy. I doubt that the developers would be able to implement assassinations, but maybe a critical hit system could work.

9. Kingofstarryskies

if the assassination was possible, then could you swoop done from higher platform using ropes, and attack from a hieght, without making a noise, stabbing him.

Alternal likes this.
  10. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I don't quite grasp this idea... The way I am reading this is:
    When you sneak, you turn partially invisible.
    As in, you visibly become see-through when hidden. I've always thought that it would be like laying down in grass and being hard to spot. But now that I think about it, in the structures we've seen, that wouldn't really be possible. Maybe partial invisibility when sneaking could be something from a special item, rather than a fundamental mechanic.

11. Alternal

Well you see, how would sneaking work in multiplayer then? You'd be seen in a heartbeat anywhere except in pitch black darkness.

12. WildOats

WildOats Phantasmal Quasar

It sounds like fun, but where was it anounced?

13. Kingofstarryskies

does this mean there could be stuff like stealth gear, like some kind of ninja gear or a weapons/tool set, like a blackjack thing, so when you hit something it knocks em out, then steal stuff off them, and some ropes to climb up walls. in which case, RP servers (they are gonna happen, we know it) would be MUCH more interesting.....because someone could break into your building, knock you out, and steal all your biscuits and pixels (pixels: money biscuits: cookies)
    point is, its a great idea.

14. Alternal

Thank you Kingodstarryskies! That's kinda what I was going for heheheh :ninja:
    Tiy announced it himself, I think it's in the list of announced features.

Kingofstarryskies likes this.
  15. Kingofstarryskies

i get the feeling you ave used some input from le comments.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. WildOats

WildOats Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks. Never saw that before.

Kingofstarryskies and Alternal like this.
  17. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

Hmm, I don't really see this working since it's not a 3-D game.
    Unless it's something like your invisible, but if you screw up you become visible...

18. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

^This.
    How are we supposed to sneak on a 2-D game?

19. Crazyon

Crazyon Master Astronaut

Exactly, Only way I could see it happening is someone being seemingly invisible while sneaking...
    Or it could be a joke and have a moving bush/box moving instead of a player.

Straw Hat likes this.
  20. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

You're right. And i think sneaking is only possible when you have something that let's you to be invisible.