1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should we Worry?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dynafols, Jun 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Towwl

Towwl Phantasmal Quasar

Edge of Space just doesn't seem like something I would spend money on. It looks more like a free flash game you'd see on Addicting Games. It still looks like it would be a game I'd enjoy but no more than just another flash game.
    Although with what little I've seen of Starbound I think I'd pay a good $10-20 on it.
    But both of the games are pretty early in development so I can't say much about either of them.

2. merlin.violet

merlin.violet Void-Bound Voyager

Edge Of Space looks pretty amazing in my opinion, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a copy when the Pre-Orders start in a couple weeks.

3. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

we dont have to worry we got this. but if it worries you just keep spreading the word about starbound to friends family hobos on the street i dont care make flyers get our game out there.. i mean how many games have mechs and a water pressure system with mass server support, terraria had mass server communitys and while star bound is made by chuckle fish which is a whole different team they have server community's in mind for the multiplayer experience so its gonna be a good party game friends family college mates corporate office mates its got things the makings of something the whole family can get into and so far they have said they have gotten it to work on old systems so you never know how low the system reqs will be but if there low enough it will be ultra portible

4. Flameofice

Flameofice Pangalactic Porcupine

I wouldn't be too concerned about Edge of Space. It's supposed to come out in less than a month, and it still looks to be in its very early development stages. Unless there's something I don't know, EoS is likely going to end up being very bare-bones. And games like those tend to die quickly.

5. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

There is more than plenty you don't know. I work for the team developing it. It's going to be anything but bare-bones. The fact that we're making a good game doesn't take away from Starbound being a great game. You know, there really IS a such thing as more than one game worth playing. If people would get over comparing games, they'd have a great deal more fun.

merlin.violet likes this.
  6. Giant Squid

Giant Squid Zero Gravity Genie

I don't care how many people are blessed with the opportunity to play this game. That's not what the game is about. Games aren't made to be deemed "Number 1." They should be made to give it's players a rich and rewarding experience. Creating games with the intent of finishing it before a similar game hits the shelves or with the intent of out-'flashing' other games brings nothing but crappy games, angry customers, and crushed hopes and dreams. As Tiy's so called "dream-game", I'm sure his priorities are of a higher calling. He is doing this for himself, and all the people he shares his creation with. He is doing this to make a game that he has always dreamed of playing, a game which many others also have dreamed of since the invention of 16-bit.

This game isn't being made to beat Edge of Space. It's being made for the sake of gaming, and that, my friends, is what will make this game a wonderful piece of art, and in the end, that is ironically what will make this game beat Edge of Space (in terms of general popularity [Which I don't mean to say popularity=quality]) in the end. Have faith, young one. Games made with heart and soul will always triumph. And as long as I get to experience Starbound in all it's glory, I don't care what media labels "the better game" to be.

Soprano likes this.
  7. Soprano

Soprano Pangalactic Porcupine

People will tell their friends, and those friends will tell their friends, and so on. :rofl:

Honestly I have confidence Starbound will do great.

8. Soprano

Well spoken. ^_^ But it's safe to say Starbound will do really well.

GiantSquid likes this.
  9. Giant Squid

All I know is that Starbound will receive abundant amounts of use from MY computer...

10. Soprano

:rofl: You and many others.

11. Xenn

Xenn Space Spelunker

Edge of Space looks lower quality than Starbound, in my opinion. I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems.. Roughly put together, compared to what we've seen of Starbound so far.

12. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

i didint want to say it first but thats also the feeling i got watching the videos.
    i sure am open minded to other games but edge of space...got something weird going on. i cant exactly say what but there's definitly something that just make it look cheap

13. LadyAijou

That's because ALL that has been shown yet, is alpha/beta footage, showing the DIRT biome. Nothing more. If anyone honestly believes that's all that was put in for terrain, you guys are just plain silly. Further, for beta testing, the game has been stripped back to the core features, allowing the team to stamp out the bugs that would be the furthest buried in lines of code with everything enabled. That's what genuine beta testing is and does :)

14. Imnotdavis

Imnotdavis Big Damn Hero

Well, since Wanderlust got so high up on the Steam charts (it is #6 now at the time of this post), a big part being because Chucklefish published it. What will Starbound be when it comes out? Will it reach higher? You also have to think, the time Starbound is supposed to come out is a heavy time for gamers to choose which game they want and stick with it. No matter what, people will still buy this game, people off of this forum, people that hear of it from their favorite youtube commentators, and even people that randomly see it on Steam and think, this game looks cool, and hey check it out it's only about 15$.

15. Phyrex

you're deforming my word, i never mentionned the terrain alone, i meant overall. if you really think the terrain is the only problem, then just show screenshot/video of other biome too.
    Also, we are all speaking within the boundaries of what we know of edge of space, which isint much. Its only natural and you should know it, no need to get all defensive and stuff. (and when i say getting all defensive, im including your other post in other thread that i saw).

no offense here, im just saying that people will always give a personal opinion influenced by circumstances. these circonstances include proximity to terraria in style, development cycle parallel to starbound and very little footage to judge with.
    Within these parameters, people like/dislike starbound/edge of space and within the context of this very conversation, some people feel like edge of space has something going agaisnt it.
    an opinion developed around the previously mentionned parameters.

chill and wait to see what people say of the game when it will be out. right now its all hypothesis and uninformed opinion.

16. love doctor

love doctor Cosmic Narwhal

im willing to say starbound will make 2 or 3 atleast who knows maybe it will make number 1

17. LadyAijou

I'm not getting defensive, what I am trying to do IS let people know that they're jumping to conclusions, and MOST of it stems from being unwilling to look at any other game. As for my other thread, the community seems to be in complete agreement with me. It might interest you to know that I've been a member of the Starbound community since the original annoucement/ Q&A back in early February. I'm buying Wanderlust to support Starbound, and I will be getting 6 copies of Starbound for my family. People just need to stop freaking out over the fact that other games are enjoyable too, and have fun with ALL of the great indie titles coming up.

merlin.violet likes this.
  18. Phyrex

good for you and all that. but why tell me all that about wanderlust, your veterancy or such ? it sounds like you got something too prove ?
    and youre basicly confirming what im saying.
    how can people not jump to conclusion when there is so few information available ? explain me that please.
    for my own CV just like you did, ill say that i was there for diablo 3 and star wars : the old republic from day 1. you know what ? people jumped to the conclusion that both would be extraordinary gaming revolutions.

im not trying to be mean or just arguing for the sake of it, i want to understand why you're trying to do something that look so vain. we are lacking information for both games, people can only jump to conclusion, wether good or not. also, if most people agree with you.

just so you know, i perfectly agree on giving edge of space a chance and im probably gonna try it, i was merely saying that when i look at the videos, i feel there's something wierd.

19. LadyAijou

I'm glad that you're not here to argue, because neither am I. Nor does vanity play into it. The only reason I mentioned the things that I DID, is to make a point, namely that Starbound and this community are special to me, and that I haven't said anything that I have as some sort of "outsider" here to push an agenda. As for revealing information, that's not something I'm at liberty to just up and do, just like the Starbound devs have had to keep quite a bit out of the public eye, so have we also. Questions, I can answer. Taking our current build and posting it so that people will feel informed, no can do.

On the point of "how can people NOT jump to conclusions?", that one is up to every individual. Everyone has to decide for themselves whether offering an equal chance to several games is worth it, or whether they prefer to be a hardcore fan of one, and hate all else without batting an eyelash. Myself, I pick up a game, I play it, and if I enjoy that experience, then no amount of outside influence will change that outcome. I'm not sure where or why you interpret the point I'm trying to make as vain, defensive, out to prove myself, etc, but I guess that's the downfall of the internet. Text can be read by everyone in the tone in which they perceive it, and have it take on entirely different meaning. My one and only intention here was the same as all of the posters before me, to answer the opening post. Should anyone be worried? Not in the slightest, because more than one good game is nothing to worry about.

20. Giant Squid

I think that Lady is just trying to get her point across. The point (not putting words in anyone's mouth) being that people should not clique to one game and bash the others as if defending their game of choice, but appreciate each game as it puts it's own strong-points towards the progression of the growing genre. It is in fact possible for multiple games in the same genre be good games that give their players rich and memorable experiences, and I feel that Lady wishes for everyone to see that, because fighting over which of the three games is better does not help anyone, and in some ways can hinder the overall quality of future games by not giving any but one a chance to impress.

merlin.violet and LadyAijou like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.