1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I try out Nightly?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by RodgerDodger, Nov 17, 2014.

1. RodgerDodger

RodgerDodger Phantasmal Quasar

I've been playing the stable Starbound game for so long. It has been fun and all, but I kind of feel like I'm missing stuff that goes on in the nightlies. Should I try it out? Also I kind of forgot how to set it up to where your game gets the nightly updates.

2. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

I say don't, it's too broken to be enjoyable.
    For me at least.

3. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I tried to download it, but it didn't work. But you can try.

4. Hydravolt

Hydravolt Void-Bound Voyager

There are many guides on how to get nightly working, simply go to steam, open Starbound's properties, go to betas, opt into nightly (once its selected, you can just close out), wait for it to update, go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound , rename starbound.config to starbound.config.old, and rename player and universe to playerold and universeold respectively. This should get Nightly up and going. As for if you should try it, 100% yes. At this point you can't progress past the EMF quest but just do it for kicks.

EDIT: Just delete the nightly and rename the necessary files/ folders to roll back your old config, players, and universes.

5. RodgerDodger

What about if I have certain mods that change the look of a few armors? Should I do anything with them to keep them running, or do I have to abandon them in order to play nightly?

6. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Some mods are compatible with Nightly, some aren't.
    You should check carefully which mods support it before switching to nightly.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Try out Nightly without mods. there are admin commands enabled in case you want to get into the features asap. fullbright is particularly lovely.

There will be builds of Nightly that won't work with the characters made in Nightly or before Nightly. to be ready to delete or move the player/universe folder. Especially move them for your stable save.Also, keep tabs on the News and Nightly thread for a more granular look at differences and additions that each load brings. (Thanks to Kawa and Broconut for that!)

I would not recommend playing Nightly if you are trying to get a head start on the eventual update that will result from it.

Expect the occasional crash, and you'll be fine.

8. RodgerDodger

In that case I'm just gonna wait until the next update. I'll see what I need to do in order to bring the mods into the next update as well. The solid version is good enough for now.