Sheep vs. rabbits

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeekWoman, Jul 27, 2019.

1. GeekWoman

GeekWoman Subatomic Cosmonaut

Why would anyone choose to have sheep over rabbits? Sheep require sheering unless you have an auto collector whereas the rabbits drop wool in the coop that can quickly be collected with the eggs. They cost the same amount.

Just trying to decide which to get next (I already have a rabbit)

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

The reason for sheep over rabits is that the sheep will shear every 3rd day and at a higher friendship level produce every other day. With shepherd perk it can be reduced to daily.
      Rabbits do not drop wool that often, and the incubation boost from coopmaster doesn't help them.

So it depends on how much wool/cloth you want I suspect. Or which buidling you want to fill? I only want it for the cc bundle and the mill, so rabbits are good enough for me usually.

I also would rather have pigs for truffles in my barn than sheep. And goats for goat cheese for Leah so if I can get to the rabbit soon enough I rarely even buy a sheep at all, and if I did it would be to get the first several wool and sell them.

If you are pursuing emily instead of leah, then sheep I would think would help for that much more than rabbits. <but admitedly I've not looked into that very much, and I believe I mine enough gemstones that emily loves to not need wool/cloth for that either>

Your mileage may vary?

GeekWoman likes this.
      • GeekWoman

Thank you for your opinion! I have selected Alex as my husband so I'm all set there - plus he loves eggs so that makes married life pretty easy. I do have two goats for making cheese. I save that for when I get my basement and can age it - more cash. It appears I only need 4 cloth to make the mill. But the cloth does sell for 658gp since I'm an artisan so that's a good thing.

Does it matter if the barn or coop is "full"? One nice thing about the barn so far is that I had a pregnancy and got a "free" goat! That was kinda cool. I am going to pick up a pig for the truffles.

• musical74

musical74 Space Kumquat

I'll add a few things

The sheep requires a tool to get the wool, the rabbit just drops the wool without any tool. Yes, the sheep do it more often, but until you get the auto-grabber (which initially is pretty spendy at 25k) you'll need the tool to get the wool. If wool isn't overly important to you, I'd just wait for the rabbit, and save yourself a little money by not buying the needed shearer to harvest the wool from the sheep. I don't think you NEED a full coop or barn for the evaluation - I had both the barn and coop fully upgraded but only had 4 in the coop and 5 in the barn and Grandpa was still thrilled with me. Kind of funny, my goat had a kid, then that one had a kid...I only purchased the first one, the others came from random pregnancy! Regarding the pig, one pig will drop anywhere from 1 to 4 truffles a day, depending on how happy it is and maybe a little on luck. I know this because I was a bit surprised when my one pig found 4 truffles on a given day!

It's more a case of what you consider important and who you are trying to woo. Since Alex isn't terribly interested in wool and eggs are really easy to get, I'd just stick with the much-cuter rabbit, which will rarely drop a rabbit's foot as well.

• UnexpectedParole

UnexpectedParole Phantasmal Quasar

If the coop is full, your incubator will not hatch new fowl.
            If the barn is full, you will not get pregnancies.

Other than that, you can have any number of animals up to the limit in the buildings and it 'doesn't matter' . I am not a huge SDV animal person, but if I have shelled out for a building and have to go there for at least 1 animal, then I might as well go there for the max -I figure. More output sooner pays back my nvestment faster, and more income allows me to invest more. (Invest as in buy seeds or animals or other things that will make me more money." Again, other folks' mileage may vary. But that is why I brought it up.

Once my cc bundles are done
            I keep a cow or two for milk and cheese for cooking.
            A couple goats for goat cheese <leah> gifts and health eating in the mines.
            Then pigs because irridium truffles are stupid good money for very little work.

I have a few chickens for eggs for cooking (and maybe mayo)
            Ducks for duck eggs, duck mayo, and incubating more ducks which I sell.
            I like void chickens and void mayo if I can get them. Dinos as well.
            And rabbits, well. meh. one or two is fine.

Of course, you have to feed the animals as discussed in the hay thread, so "full" is not always strictly better if you haven't got you silos and hay harveting sorted either. :)

• GeekWoman

All good info. Thank you both very much. I opted to get another rabbit and one pig. Because duck mayo sells for quite a bit more, I hatched another duck. In fact, I'll likely fill the coop the rest of the way with ducks and maybe a dinosaur when I can get one. Between the duck mayo and duck feathers, they are good income.

I am getting the hay figured out (I think). I added up my animals, multiplied times 30 (gotta account for any rainy days in Fall) and realized I needed a second silo. Got that going. I am clearing as much of my land as possible and planting grass like crazy. Doing some efficient scything as suggested by someone and we're off and running. Still working on the arrangement of my farm and trying to make sure all the animals have fresh grass to eat this summer/fall. Next year, I'l likely move my coop and barn to a better location for them. But for this 3rd year, all is going pretty well I think.

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Chickens actually earn you more money than ducks, because ducks only lay an egg every other day, whereas chickens lay every single day but duck mayo still sells for less than twice the price of normal mayo. It's an even bigger financial hit if it drops a duck feather instead of laying an egg, because the feathers sell for even less than duck mayo.

• GeekWoman

Oh my. I guess math wasn't my best subject in school. So do void chickens make more than white/brown ones?

• One More Day

One More Day Cosmic Narwhal

Void chicken is better money than a duck, but not quite as good as an optimal regular chicken.

Void mayo is worth more than regular quality mayonnaise, so if your chickens are fed but not petted then void chickens will earn more. But if you are in the habit of petting your animals each day then the white and brown chickens will eventually lay large eggs, which make gold quality mayonnaise, worth a shade more than void mayo. There is no "large" void egg, though, so no gold quality void mayo.

So, income from daily void mayo is absolutely constant. However, white and brown chickens are marginally better as long as you remember to pet them. But if you don't pet them, you might only get a normal sized egg, and earn less.

• GeekWoman

I see. I thought I had read that if the chickens were outside, they were happy and didn't need to be petted. So I've been in the habit of petting them all winter and on rainy days otherwise. All of my chickens are full star happy. The ducks on the other hand seem to take forever to get those hearts up.

Anyway, I see what you are saying. Makes sense now why I have hundreds of large eggs, most with gold or purple stars (I tend to hold on to EVERYTHING just in case - if I sold/made stuff, I would be a millionaire).