Modding Help Sfx and your Ship

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by G4M5T3R, Dec 19, 2013.

1. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Does anyone know what sfx are being played in your ship? And what file calls them? I'd like to change them and I cant seem to find where they are being used. I thought the asteroid biome at first because it's labeled under space, but that biome file doesn't use any ambiance or music like the rest do. The client.config has battle music, and the title.config has the title music but what file is used when you're in your ship? I checked the ships folder, I saw nothing relevant there, or anywhere else for that matter.

2. Insomnacious

Insomnacious Void-Bound Voyager

You'll hopefully find it in sfx/objects/shipengine.wav. It's in a bit of an odd spot granted...

G4M5T3R likes this.
  3. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Thank you. A quick search through the files in the assets turned up the files I was looking for. Turns out it's not used once for all ship, but rather for each race in each of the fuel hatch objects in each ship... (??? ok... oh well) I'm actually trying to attempt to add music in the background and not ambiance, but knowing what file to mod is a start.

4. Insomnacious

Haha that's odd, well I like your idea, I hope the game can handle a large wav file.

5. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Nah it's .ogg like the rest in the game (besides the .abc files that is)

6. Insomnacious

My mistake, that makes sense. I'm designing a bounty hunter ship currently, and it'd be really cool to have a fitting soundtrack in the background!
    [​IMG]

pistolero likes this.
  7. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

That looks great man! :up:
    Sadly I can't get the desired effect. I'm not sure but I don't think objects take the arguments "music", "musicTracks", or any other similar argument as a parameter... I even tried simply re-placing the "soundEffect" used with the correct path to the song. I will post if I happen to get this to work though. Maybe someone else will figure it out too.

8. Insomnacious

Hmm, well maybe a dev, or someone capable will see this, and find a way lol. This is a great idea, I often find myself wanting background music on my ship more than planet side.

9. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

Really? I just renamed the path to go to the proper file and it worked fine.

10. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Really o_O? Did I miss a freaking comma??? Brb

11. Heliostorm

If you missed a comma the fuel hatch shouldn't even load, and you would notice that in game. Did you edit the correct file and check it with the correct race? Each race has their own fuel hatch. If you edited say, the human fuel hatch and then loaded up an avian ship you wouldn't see anything different.

12. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Yea i know, I tested it on each race and on each ship. Just tried again on a clean Startbound via the .modinfo method. This time just humans. I copied the object and the file structure,
    replaced
    Code:
     "soundEffect" : "/sfx/objects/shipengine.wav",   with  "soundEffect" : "/music/FutureCrystallineLuminosity.ogg",
    I also tried  "/<modname>/music/<songname>.ogg",  
    Would you mind showing me what you did, or is that what you did? If so I will re-install Starbound and try again.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  13. Heliostorm

I think I figured out the problem(s). First, all the ships use apexfuelhatch, regardless of race. The other fuel hatches seem broken and unimplemented, as when I tried using the human fuel hatch in a ship the game crashed. Second, Starbound seems to only accept certain types of wav files. I just pointed the sound effect at aquarium1.wav and it worked, but when I tried adding my own wav file it crashed on loading the ship. There's probably some special formatting involved to make it readable to Starbound.

I did not try the .modinfo method.

14. G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R Cosmic Narwhal

Omg, It works!!! :geek: Thanks heliostorm. I was trying to use a "musicTracks" argument in my modified apexfuelhatch the first time I did some testing. It's reading a .ogg btw.

15. Heliostorm

Glad to hear :D

G4M5T3R likes this.
  16. RogueTGZ

RogueTGZ Orbital Explorer

hey
    that ship looks amazing, when you are finished do you mind making a topic that has all the downloads and link me to it? Thanks!