RP Serik - Science Fiction RP

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Hwo Thumb, Apr 27, 2014.

1. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

'Well, that's a bit of a long, and gruesome story, but I am pretty sure that you can handle it after all of the stola you've been through.' She sat down in the pilot seat, sealed the airlock, and disengaged from the GMPF cruiser. As she pulled away, she began her tale.

'My family owns a jewel mine on the Farbia moon. It has been in our family for a very long time, almost since the mines were first started. It is a very rich and lustrous mine, so it is often targeted by bandits. Normally, they barely enter the airspace before they are scared away by a police cruiser. But one time, a group wasn't. They reached the mine, slaughtering all in their path, and killed all of the people who were there that day. Eventually they got to the office. My parents tried to protect me. They tortured my father, after almost blasting off his trigger arm, then pulled him apart piece by piece when he didn't tell them what they wanted.' A tear welled up in her eye, but she wiped it away. 'They were pigs, and assumed that me and my mother wouldn't know anything because we were 'women'.' Her hackles rose, then they fell again. 'They took my mother with them, and I never saw her again. When they tried taking me, I scratched the arm of one of them. That made them angry, so they decided to punish me and left me there to die. I can hardly remember all of the things they did to me, but the two I most distinctly remember are horrifying. They ripped out my claws and completely pulled out the base, so I can never grow them back. The worst though is my tail.' She stood up and showed Kaya the stump where her tail used to be, ten sat back down. 'They cut it off slowly, bone by bone, showing each piece to me as they cut it off, then they would throw it at me, I was stuck in a realm of pain, seas of it, and I almost drowned. When I woke back up, I was completely covered in bandages and in a hospital on Farbia. Once I was healed up, I had to go through physical training to walk again without my kormein tail. Tailless Farbians are shunned in our culture, so I left. I still owned the mine, so I made a friend of my parents the manager, and set him to running it in my absence. Eventually, I found someone to train me in fighting, but it was difficult. After many years, I had become sufficient enough to fight well, thanked my trainer, and left in search of the pirates that killed everyone I loved. I figured that being a mercenary would bring me into contact with a lot of unsavory people, so that's what I became. All I had was a name of a ship. That was five years ago, and I have finally tracked them down. They are one of Greskel's top crews. I was gonna confront them after this job; however, it seems that fate is finally giving me a break and giving me a chance for revenge.' She smiled, then wiped it off of her face and looked back at Kaya. 'You don't have to worry though, helping you takes first priority. I wont let a friend get hurt in exchange for loosing a friend.' She playfully ruffled Kaya's hair, then went back to piloting the ship through the debris field.

2. Hwo Thumb

Hwo Thumb Scruffy Nerf-Herder

(("ruffled Kaya's hair" But she has no hair! Dun dun DUN! Chipi are primates, but they don't have hair on their head like we do.))

"That's quite the revenge story," Not-Kaya had listened to Longtail's story with interest. "Then we have something in common." Longtail gave her a sidelong glance as she flew the ship. "Somebody broke this mind, Longtail. A little girl lived here, and now she has to share her head with me. Somebody broke you too, and I think there's something foreign in your mind as well."

Not-Kaya wasn't supposed to have emotions - she wasn't a person, after all, but she felt sorry for the Farbian in the pilot's seat next to her. Nobody should go through anything like that. What purpose did it serve? She couldn't comprehend it.

Why would anyone do that to her? For a moment, Not-Kaya thought the question was her own, but she realized that it was actually Real Kaya's thought.

You were listening?

Not much else to do in my head. Boredom and anxiety colored the girl's thought. I wish I could be in control sometimes.

Sorry, Amari. I don't want me here any more than you do. You'll have plenty of time to play once we're on our way. The transit to Menta should take about two days.

Not-Kaya sighed, the noise catching Longtail's attention. "I hate this." She was surprised to find herself talking, and with such venom. "I hate being trapped in this body. I hate that my existence comes at the cost of a girl's innocence. I hate the people who did this." The confession felt significant. Not-Kaya wasn't a person. She wasn't supposed to be able to hate. The fact that she could puzzled her. But she didn't want to think about this. She didn't want to think about anything. She was sick and tired of thinking, plotting, planning, strategizing. But it was programmed into her, and there was nothing she could do about it - it just happened.

Without even noticing, she had run the odds of her beating the Farbian in hand to hand combat right that moment. If Kaya herself initiated it, 98%. If the Farbian did... Kaya still stood a 78% chance of victory. Extremely respectable. Longtail wasn't her match, but she was good.

Not-Kaya hated those odds. She hated that without even trying to, she had calculated the odds of being able to murder her ally and had gotten positive results. She hated this brain.

She hated everything. She hated herself.

3. critsarecool

Looking over at the innocent looking girl speaking such venomous words, and remembered herself when she had first woken up in that hospital, angry at everything, in pain, and trumping all, the feeling of loneliness. For a second, she saw herself in the place of the girl, and a chill went down her spine. She tried to think of something to take Kaya's mind off of the obvious hatred she was feeling, and so Longtail asked her, 'What exactly is going to happen if..' she paused. 'when we defeat Greskel? Because the plan seems to stop there, and I don't want us to be unprepared for that.' A sudden shock hit, but she didn't show it. She had realized that she would be face to face, or at least ship to ship, with the men who had decimated her whole existence, and who made her only purpose in life hunting them. She visibly shuddered, then composed herself.

4. Hwo Thumb

"Good question," Kaya hadn't planned on revealing her entire idea all at once, but she felt she could trust Longtail. "The idea is to draw Greskel out. We know his base is somewhere on Schlora, but it moves constantly, and nobody ever knows where it really is. When we attacked the Menta base, Greskel will have no choice but to retaliate. We can figure out where his main source of power is by looking at where most of the powerful ships come from. Greskel's smart, but he's also paranoid; He'll have himself surrounded by his best guns, so if we find the guns, we find him. Now, after we take him down, we have a minor issue. Anybody who knows about the assassination of Hata IV knows what happens when a Schloran gang leader is murdered. The power vacuum isn't going to take just criminals with it. We need a way to stabilize the balance of power, as best we can."

The plan was insane. The best plans often were. "So we fill the vacuum ourselves. Once Greskel is dead, we take over his criminal organization, and see to it that it becomes very profitable to ship with us. We offer money and a ship - funded, hopefully, by the fleet belonging to this "Hemlock" fellow - to anybody and everybody among his upper ranks who's willing to pledge loyal to us. In return for a cut of the ship's profits, they get the security of working for Greskel with none of the drawbacks. We maintain his empire for a while, then slowly start allowing it to fall apart. Offer the lieutenants more slack. Stop recruiting. Stop replacing casualties. Pretty soon, the empire grinds to a halt, we get the hell out of here, and the people who ruined are lives, well, we'll have ruined theirs."

5. critsarecool

'Wow.' Longtail looked at Kaya with an astounded look on her face. "That.... is certainly a plan.' She looked back at the screen for a second, then looked at Kaya. I guess I'm still getting used to there being a hyper intelligent being inside of the girl's head.' She looked at the screen, fiddled with a few controls, then said, 'Ok, we are at Shiro's ship. Any last minute requests or thoughts before we dock and are mauled by pirates trying to help us?' Longtail chuckled mirthlessly, then looked at Kaya in questioning.

6. Hwo Thumb

((Long post incoming!))

Kaya shook her head. There was nothing else to do. The plan would either work or it wouldn't. Either way, by the end of the day they would be in orbit over Menta. She decided to get some sleep while she waited for them to arrive.

--==||==--​

The Micronesia was a damn good ship. Captain Mull had always been rather proud of it. So when he was bringing her to a colony base on New Switzerland, one of Earth's youngest children, and he had the misfortune to run across another ship, he was immediately protective. Nobody got near Micronesia without him noticing, and he didn't like the look of this vessel.

The ship was another frigate. It looked human in origin, which alone was enough to put him on edge. Aside from the Colonial Administration, no major organization used Earth starships. No one but pirates and criminals, at least. He hailed the ship, ordering the men on the bridge to have his whole frigate's arsenal pre-ignited. If these newcomers started charging their weapons, he could get his online first and tear them to shrapnel before they got the first volley off.

The human who appeared on screen didn't look like a pirate. She was well-dressed, and held herself upright, with a calm expression. However, her company suggested otherwise. In the background of the Comm window, Captain Mull could see shabbily dressed, sharp eyed mercenaries, mostly Chipi and human. A black-furred Farbian also stood on the bridge of the ship, glaring at him fiercely.

"This is Captain Mull of the Earth Colonial Administration." Mull said sharply. "I demand to know the point and purpose of your presence here."

"Woah, woah," The other captain put her hands up defensively. "Brisk, aren't you? I'm Captain Shiro. I'm a... contractor, of sorts."

"A pirate."

"A mercenary." she corrected. "A bounty hunter. Just bringing my latest catch in."

"Your ship looks an awful lot like a pirate ship." he said. The large vessel was more expensive than any bounty hunter he knew of could afford. While he spoke with Shiro, he used his console computer to check the Marque Letters for a Captain Shiro. There were four privateers registered under the GRP by that name. None of them owned a ship that large.

"We just came from a rather heated discussion with a terrorist spacecraft. I understand if our ragged looks make us appear less than professional, but I assure you, I am not a pirate. Besides, I'm also not stupid; I can see you've got bullets to spare, there's no way in hell I'm attacking you."

"I see. Awfully expensive ship you've got there."

"Like it? It's military salvage we bought off the civ market." Shiro looked around her bridge quickly. "Listen, I'm kind of in a hurry here. So if you'd kindly uncharge the large amount of ordnance you've got aimed at my hull, I'll be on your way and you can go interrogate more random strangers."

Mull considered this for a moment. Perhaps he had just been jumpy. A month ago, an ECA ship had been attacked and destroyed by pirates, and it had put the whole organization on edge. "Very well. Be on your way."

And they did. Seconds after the other ship had departed through their next Serik Gate, with Mull watching them all the while, a new ship appeared from the same direction Shiro's vessel had come from. It hailed him instantly, locking on weapons.

"Shit!" Mull pounded his console, opening a comm window to the attackers. "Who the hell are you?"

The window crackled for a moment, spitting static before resolving to the image of an angry looking Kerrik. "This is Ferdinand Aso, of the GMPF vessel Darasis-ali. Captain Shiro, by order of law, disable your weapons immediately and prepare to be boarded!"

"What?"

Suddenly noticing something offscreen, the Kerrik squinted for a second at his console and then looked back up at Mull, eyes hard. "Where did the other ship go?"

"The bounty hunters?" Mull asked, confused. "They just passed through. What the hell is going on?"

"A few hours ago, they boarded our ship and kidnapped our captain, Antero Beaky, and some other personnel, leaving me as Acting Captain. We were able to deceive them into leaving us alone long enough to make repairs to launch a counter-attack. But we only have a day at most before they get backup."

"What do they want with your captain?" The situation was getting stranger by the minute.

"From what our security team has told us, they have a plan to assault the Scio Kio corporation. We managed to convince them we'd help, and I think they bought it for the moment. We have to stop the terrorist attack on Scio Kio before it's too late."

"Are you serious?" The Kerrik's expression told Mull that he was very, very serious. Mull chewed his lip while he thought. "I can do a quick unload of all civilian passengers and supplies in three hours if we get everyone working on it. My ship's faster than yours, so we'll be able to outrun these bounty hunters."

"Wait, wait." The Kerrik stopped him. "Are you actually offering help? This is police business."

"I work for the ECA. If an illegal vessel just passed through my area, I have the right to extradite it back to New Switzerland where the captain can be properly fined. Besides, you seem like you need the help."

This had very quickly become an interesting day.

((This is time for our two newbies to jump in))

7. Noble Pigeon

Noble Pigeon Void-Bound Voyager

Senior Engineer Go Ra Im was in the Micronesia’s commons area, having just returned from Engineering after a lengthy and dreadfully boring debriefing on updated safety protocols. The appearance of the “pirate” ship had made things exciting, and with its disappearance came the return of Ra Im’s boredom. She was sitting at a table, her friend Sharin seated opposite the table, barely keeping awake yet trying to sound very interested in the conversation of Sharin’s dreadful tale about how one of the techs in the cargo bay---her station---was totally checking her out.

“You know, Sharin,” Go Ra Im finally said, “you talk about this Adel guy a lot.”

“Yeah, because he’s stalking me, Ra Im! Have you not been paying attention?” Sharin retorted, puffing up her cheeks. Indeed, on the occasions Ra Im was assigned to the cargo bay she noticed that Adel and Sharin seemed awfully comfortable and friendly together for a stalker relationship.

“No,” Go Ra Im replied, her eyes drooping another centimeter. Sharin’s face seemed to resemble a puffer fish more and more.

“What the hell do you know about guys anyway?” Sharin asked.

“A lot,” Ra Im said in a deadpan voice.

“That’s more than what you know about engineering,” Sharin said, her face deflating as she grined. “Still not convinced that you know anything beyond how to best use a plasma torch to cook eggs.”

“Hey. I am very offended. I know stuff,” Ra Im continued in her impassive voice, now staring at the ceiling. Sharin had said something else but Ra Im tuned her out completely, but not for lack of interest. She was more focused on what she was feeling.

We’ve decelerated. Twice now, she thought, feeling the rumble of the ship. She was unusually perceptive to the sounds of the ship when it moved in various ways---a trait she probably gained from sleeping on the cold, hard floor so much on the ship.

Might be something interesting happens. She yawned widely, then realized she timed her yawn right as Sharin said something. "Oh, sorry. I'm tired."

Sharin scowled.

8. Hwo Thumb

Mull turned on the shipwide intercom. "Attention, crew of the Micronesia. We will be landing on New Switzerland ahead of time. When we arrive, you are to unload our passengers and their cargo as quickly as possible. We are preparing to enter a combat situation shortly. Again: Unload the colonists as quickly as possible. We are preparing to enter a combat situation."

Turning his gaze back to Aso, he chewed his lip for a moment. "I don't usually make impromptu situations like this, you understand."

"I don't expect so." The Darasis-Ali's acting captain said. "But time is of the essence, and we appreciate your help, especially in these unusual circumstances, Captain... Uh, your name?"

"Captain Brandon Mull, Earth Colonial Administration."

"Thank you, Captain Mull. How long before you can be ready? It will take Shiro the better part of a day to reach the Scio Kio base on Menta that they're targeting."

"My crew's never had to do anything like this, but we have Hot LZ training. If the drills are any indication, the Micronesia should be able to unload all its passangers within half an hour, barring extenuating circumstances. Now, Mabi Esleed," Mull looked at his navigation officer, who snapped to attention.

"Yessir," the Arriak sang. "I'll take us down to our destination. Will Comms notify ATC of our arrival, or should I?"

"Comms will take care of it, thank you." Esleed was something of a genius when it came to rocket science, but hand the Navigation Officer a comm panel, and he'd likely inadvertently broadcast an obscene message over the Serik Net to every ship in a three gate radius.

As the ship descended into the atmosphere, rattling from stress, Mull sighed. The Micronesia had never been in a combat situation. While colony ships were a ripe target for raiders and pirates, the frigate had been lucky for a long time. Now, he had no idea how his crew would respond to this very real threat. A terrorist attack on Scio Kio? Was this IPSF work?

It suddenly occurred to Mull that he could be making a very big mistake. The ECA had established a policy of neutrality in the building tensions between the GRP and the IPSF. Personally, however, his sympathies had always lay with the GRP. But the crew of his ship had split loyalties. What if this planned attack really was the work of separatists? Intervening could drag the entire ECA into the war - and it would be a war; IPSF-affiliated terrorists had been growing more bold by the day. When word got out that someone had attempted to attack Scio Kio and Menta, it wouldn't matter whether they were IPSF or just crazy. There would be a war.

A war. This word echoed in Mull's head. A full blown, interstellar war was unthinkable. He recalled an old piece of wisdom he had read somewhere; "Every now and then, people need a reminder of just how stupid war really is. That's why every now and then, we have another stupid war."

"Captain Aso?" Mull looked at the Kerrik sternly.

"Yes, Captain Mull?"

"Before we help you, I need to know; Captain Shiro has a GMPF privateer's license. But is it possible she's working for the IPSF? Attacking the GRP's most powerful corporation? I have absolutely no intention of setting soothing in motion that can't be stopped."

Aso let out a long sigh, resting his muzzle in his hand. The Kerrik's wings twitched nervously. "I wish I could tell you more, Captain Mull. The truth is, we don't know. I've got six security guards telling six different interpretations of what really happened. Some of them say Shiro's just a pirate. Some say she's a bounty hunter working for Scio Kio itself. Some are calling this a conspiracy. I don't know what to think."

"For all our sakes, I certainly hope you think of something." The ship began to slow down. It was in the final stage of descent. He had half an hour to decide whether or not he was willing to risk being instrumental to the start of a war.

God, why did this happen to him?