September 29th - Using Protection

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Step one to giving players the chance to make a towny mod - accomplished.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  2. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Darn! No more tunnelling through the Apex Tech Dungeon :(

3. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Guess we'll have to brush-up our platforming skills then

4. Necryel

Necryel Pangalactic Porcupine

Yes, if this could be worked into a viable PVP protection system.....obviously it shouldn't make our stuff invincible, but rather increase each tile's hp by a percentage. May each one in a dungeon we destroy dropping a compononet we can use to craft our own security mechanism to help keep theives from stealing our stuff so easily. The more you have, the stronger your tiles become, and the harder it is for someone to say....break through your walls/doors and take your shinies. I still also think a passworded lockout is necessary in PVP lock doors and be able to turn such home protections on and off when we want to make changes to our own buildings. Maybe limiting their protection to a certain radius.....

Type1Ninja and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I was beginning to wonder just what...mechanics they had added into the game.

6. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I wonder if it'll be possible to have types of protection. For example:

- Respawning: The blocks reappear after a set amount of time.
    - Everlasting. The blocks never break, but drop ore, with various degrees of reduced payout or increased mining time.
    - Switch: Breaking one block spans another, and vice-versa.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  7. ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well this is always a nice update to read about. Thank you for this.

I'm a little bit confused (if that's the word for it) though. Is a Dungeon ID aspect to a block unique to that block alone, globally for an entire planet?

Does that mean that if block {A} is shielded by a device next to it and you remove the shield, does that mean that the very same Block {A} will become unshielded elsewhere? .. possibly in another similar biome far elsewhere on the planet?

What if two minidungeons that use the same assets are next to one another, and one shield is disabled while another isn't? What if there's some overlap between them? The Dungeon ID wouldn't be enough - it would need a reference to that shield as well. .. Right? Or is there some more obscure method for that?

8. Coolitic

Coolitic Big Damn Hero

We should make special areas for each boss that you teleport to when versing them and in that area every block has protection.

Would fix a lot of "shortcuts" in boss fights.

9. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

So, do I build myself an unbreakable protection and possibly irrevocably trap myself inside it, or keep building them like always and have the Bone Dragon pierce through it?

My, My. This is quite a conumdrom!

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  10. thunderskull833

thunderskull833 Orbital Explorer

THEIRS NO TIME TO COMMENT ON UPCOMING FEATURES WE HAVE TO FIND THAT DERRICK THING AND ROUND UP AVALI TROOPS lol hee hee

Feathery Dust likes this.
  11. Pedro Falcão

Pedro Falcão Pangalactic Porcupine

Will these "shield generators" affect all blocks of a certain type in a given world? I wanted the freedom of choosing to leave some blocks breakable as a secret shortcut...

Also, could there be many instances of shield generators with different "admin credentials"? I'm thinking of it like a 'key', that only a given player can open... That would open the possibility to sell slots in a planet, in multiplayer.

12. I am wondering if this will be at once a solid tile protection system, or just bypassable?

By that i mean, even if we try to expand it to server worlds, etc.. Will things like Modded Tech / Weapons still be able to cause massive tile damage?

13. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Oh! That'd make an AWESOME mod! But, if they made those personal shield generators, other people can just break them and make it go away.

14. Lariathyst

Lariathyst Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not going to lie, I'm one of those people who gets to a dungeon, and is just like "This looks too hard "-tunnels through-
    It'll be nice to have that challenge, knowing i can't just be a cheatie-pants.
    Also good job on me thinking this post was going to be a PSA for safe sex, lol.

15. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

From what Meta said, the Dungeon ID applies to individual tiles, not to type s of tiles. Each individual tile has it's own DuID value which can mean either unprotected, protected, or other stuff like "modified by player".

ShadowTiger likes this.
  16. blobjim

blobjim Subatomic Cosmonaut

It's been planned since way before the beta was even out but it they never got around to making it :p It's not really for players. It's to stop players from cheating their way through dungeons.

17. Kyora473

Kyora473 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds good. I just hope we don't end up with places like that darkstone test dungeon with way too much wiring. : S Unjumpably long gaps, plus laggy wire platforms that sink into the wall make me sad. ;-;

Lariathyst likes this.
  18. Patrick Scott

Patrick Scott Void-Bound Voyager

If Dungeon ID is a bit of a misnomer, maybe it should have a different name. Protection/Protector ID?

19. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

I was thinking this could be really useful in creating multi-layer dungeons if there was an activated / deactivated state added, but then I remembered there's only a foreground and background tile layer. Still... *ponders possible uses...*

20. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

Underwear. They didn't. They didn't add underwear. It is day 231. The pants wither in the horizon. There is no hope left. We have been forsaken.