September 16th - Space Train!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Necotho, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I'm gonna fill my train with chest and love (and even more chests)

Kawa likes this.
  2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Haha, thanks for that. Though it's really the amount of stuff already posted that does it for me...

3. Xelot

Xelot Phantasmal Quasar

Alternative:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  4. bayley

bayley Cosmic Narwhal

*My first thought when i saw the image* Touch the Trainbow,Taste the Trainbow.[DOUBLEPOST=1410968772][/DOUBLEPOST]
    can't.....resist...the...joke...
    THATSWHATSHESAID

blackshadow2000 and Kawa like this.
  5. Aldaseron

Aldaseron Void-Bound Voyager

Please put the novakid's main thruster in the front of their ship like a real locomotive

6. Burrito Warrior

Burrito Warrior Orbital Explorer

Has she ever seen a train?

7. AlexTehYoshi

AlexTehYoshi Void-Bound Voyager

long trains :D

8. ThaPear

ThaPear Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, I'm not sure I like the vertical differences between the wagons. Wagons being higher than long doesn't feel right to me either.
    I'd have thought upgrading the Novakid train would result in it getting longer, finally becoming similar to something like Snowpiercer.
    [​IMG]
    (Ok maybe not the 1.5km of Snowpiercer, but you get the idea)

Cowboy Bebop likes this.
  9. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I don't personally like it. I think it would make more sense if it just extended, without making alternate train carraiges (so the top won't go down... and up... and down... and up...); I know it's for the whole "train" theme, but they could make an awesome steampunk trainish spaceship instead of a literal space train. They could even keep multiple room sizes. :/

Also, who said I was on Earth?

10. RedstoneFox

RedstoneFox Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, start it out small like the main engine and tender car for the third tier. Add a Passenger Car for Tier 4. A larger engine and tender car, with a Large box car for Tier 5... and so on.

11. Frodew

Frodew Scruffy Nerf-Herder

looking good! Although I have to give some constructive criticism :). The very high, vertical sections look a little awkward compared to the rest of the train. I know you can't just keep adding rail car after rail car, but I think the ship overall should increase in size, not individual rail cars. Anyways, nice to meet you Necotho!

12. ViExZioE

ViExZioE Void-Bound Voyager

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Being a jerk. Expires: 1 month
    Ship looks fucking retarded, I'd rather it be a big train then just a long fucking apartment complex. I agree with the Trigun sand steamer, not a fucking back to the future train.

13. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

(Why so rude man?)
    The problem with looooooooooong trains is the fact that they would take annoying amounts of time to travel across. Plus, you can actually store things in your ship and not have to walk through a maze of crates; you can just store it above you!

Treequil and The | Suit like this.
  14. Von Bolt

Von Bolt Void-Bound Voyager

reminds me of the Galaxy Express 999 :D

15. HyperSpace Princess Elly

HyperSpace Princess Elly Phantasmal Quasar

Some ways an entirely flat spaceship is better... once you get advanced techs that let you travel extremely fast horizontally.

16. JT`

JT` Phantasmal Quasar

Kawa likes this.
  17. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm going to tentatively add my voice to the people asking how this works with the concept of a train. This seems more like something between an extended locomotive and an actual train. I mean, maybe that was the brief ... but still it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I like the idea of the carriages being two rooms high to limit the amount of horizontal travel you need to do to get around, but I'm not sure how it makes sense design-wise to make them variable heights. Not that real trains have carriages all the same height, but the three-story carriage looks more than a little ridiculous; it would be very unsafe and top-heavy in a real train. Obviously that's not a concern in space, but in my opinion it wouldn't hurt to conform the design a bit more to a believable Earth train, even if that means only taking the 3rd story off the 2nd carriage and making it longer instead.

That said, maybe there are technical limitations or other limitations here that I'm unaware of, so feel free to ignore everything I've said if it's not applicable.

18. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

Do you even grammar? Its obvious you have to look at the letter after the C to know.

19. Laterne

Laterne Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like the fact that the whole train have one big floor and different wagons for different rooms. I disliked the design first because it looks kinda clumsy with this verticalness but on a second look on the whole train i works very well.

[​IMG]

20. Kriminal

Kriminal Big Damn Hero

I think the other boxes need more work. The green segments have a lot more detail on the outside giving it the ship, not building feel. I realize the yellow, blue and red boxes are supposed to represent boxcars not the train, but they really do look like buildings. I think changing some details on the tops of the cars would help too. It looks like what you would see on the top of an actual building. Kind of a chimney/vent, an elevator box, etc.

Overall I like it though, some people wont but I appreciate that it's something new. I think the novakid should be a bit more unique from the others.