1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED SBTileD [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Other' started by Monijir, Nov 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Monijir submitted a new mod:

SBTileD - Files to assist editing Starbound's maps in the TileD map editor.

Read more about this mod...

2. Monijir

Monijir updated SBTileD with a new update entry:

Full material tilesets and template map

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1447905240][/DOUBLEPOST]Heads up to anyone troubleshooting their maps :

Run starbound from command line so you can watch crash reports as they are logged.

TMX is usually more reliable than JSONs for maps. I recommend saving to tmx in your tiled/maps/ directory and exporting to json to whatever asset directory you're using.

It appears there's something particular about the method the devs use to export their maps - if you open one of their maps then immediately save or export you'll have a very different file than the one you just opened.

Adding a tile or tile object with the property 'playerstart' and no value assigned to it will cause the player to spawn at that location, this includes warping down to planets with the dungeon on the surface. This is the best way I know to quickly test your maps.

There's an opacity slider above the layers window in TileD. Setting the 'back' layer to 50% opacity will make your maps easier to understand.

NPCs and monsters have no representative tile or image, I've experienced crashes by attaching them. To add an NPC just go to some object layer (they're arbitrary best I can tell) and add an 8x8 rectangle object - give that the properties for spawning your whatsit.

I have yet to see an example of or devise an implementation for visualizing material mods. You can draw a rectangle object with the properties 'material':[materialName] and 'matmod':[modName], but it should be just a rectangle - not based off a tile.

To wire create a polyline object from the output object to the input object. You may have to specifically target the input/output nodes for a given object.

An object using a tile as it's base will have ll the properties of that tile and the object itself. I don't know how conflicts between then are resolved.

Check out the monster spawners in the mission maps for an example of how to add custom parameters to your whatsits

Missing images of the mode [whatever]_orientation[x].png are a known issue and not (to me) an easy fix, but you can select the [whatever].png as a placeholder and then tweak image properties such as flippedHorizontal, flippedVertical, imagePositionX, imagePositionY, and 'tilesetdirection as needed

TileD has issues capturing keyboard shortcuts on my system - if it seems like you can't cut/paste/whatever make sure to try doing it through the menu before giving up on it.

Expect a crash if you have typos in your properties - SB does not mess around with those things

Expect a crash or failure to load if you have any tile layers besides 'front' and 'back'

Expect a crash if you stretch or rotate an object based on a tile image flipping is generally safe.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. Monijir

Objects!

Read the rest of this update entry...

4. Monijir

5. Monijir

We've got the REAL* tile sets!

6. Monijir

Critical bug fix

7. Monijir

Critical bug fix

8. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

yeah, that lying filesize limit -.-
    "Max filesize 10MB" .. barely accepts a 2meg file :mad:

9. Monijir

I know right? I'd host off-site, I just don't want some soulless shovel-ware company re-purposing all that artwork for their flappy bird clone. (The dev I caught in IRC said they'd prefer it to stay on site)

So it that why there's so many mods hosted off-site?

10. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

big mods yeah
    until i squeezed png's til they bled, had to host one of my mods on google drive

something like this would be good on github maybe

11. Monijir

Github would be ideal if I ever think of a way to package all the libraries so the average user could use them, or cave and learn a real programming language.

12. Megatroll

Megatroll Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a small problem associated with flashing Tilesets its fashion program TileD. He is trying all possible ways and nothing like I have to upload these Tilesets correctly?

13. Monijir

I'm not sure what you mean by 'flashing Tilesets its fashion' I went ahead and wrote these instructions for using the tile sets in tiled.

I'm going to assume it's Windows and Stable versions of Starbound

Here's how to check if you've installed SBTileD correctly :

If you're on Windows, and have the Steam stable version of Starbound, you'll need to go to your start menu, then

If you use unstable Starbound it will be in the folder 'Starbound - Unstable'

Do you have the 'tiled' folder from the zip file in your Starbound folder?

Your Starbound folder should look like this :
    Tutorial1.jpeg

The inside of the tied folder should look like this :

Tutorial2.jpeg

If you do you have SBTileD installed.
    If you've got that taken care of just go to "Map>Add External Tileset..." when you're using TileD. The sets are located in your the tiled folder above in /tilesets/full/SBTileD or /tilesets/full/standard

Like this :

Tutorial3.jpeg Tutorial4.jpeg Tutorial5.jpeg
    If that hasn't worked can you tell me,

Are you using a Mac, Linux, or Windows?

Are you using Stable, Unstable or Nightly Starbound?

What version of TileD are you using? (go to Help -> About from the toolbar)

Hope this helps.

Megatroll likes this.
  14. Megatroll

Finally, many thanks for describing step by step. I hope you do not feel disgust me :DD
    And one more thing, I wish that I write to which version of the game a version of your mod fits. Then it would be even more professional.

15. Monijir

Do you know what version of Starbound you are using?

I think it should work with all versions. I have only tested Nightly though.

The instructions to make your maps work in-game are different for each version.

I don't know if that's what you are asking for though.

It is not a simple thing to do, but if you learn it you can do cool things like this :

newruins.jpeg

16. Megatroll

I using version Pleased Giraffe.

17. Monijir

Okay, that's the unstable version. I have not tested much on that.

This is a tutorial I am writing it should help.

I tried to write this in simple English for people using translator programs. It probably sounds weird, but it's comprehensible.

Some of this information may be incorrect because I am still learning how Starbound works with maps

To prepare the map for putting in a mod;
    • Only use two tile layers
    • Name one 'front' and the other 'back'
    • import all the tile sets in your map.

wheretoimport.jpeg
    • Save the map file as a ".json"
    Then it should work in your mod.

These are solutions to problems you might have :

• Only use two tile layers. Name one 'front' and one 'back'.
    • In Pleased Giraffe use any name for object layers.
    • In Pleased Giraffe import all your map's tile sets.
    • In Glad Giraffe use the layer names in the file Starbound / assets / [any name] / dungeons / blanktemplate.json
    • In Glad Giraffe make sure the path to your tile sets is in the same assets sub folder as your map.
    • In Glad Giraffe imported tile sets might not work so export them in the same assets sub folder as your map.
    • You can open the normal maps, They should be in Starbound / assets / [any name] / dungeons /
    • Be careful adding properties to objects.
      "If you use "Surface : 0" instead of "surface : 0" in an object's properties Starbound crashes hard."
    • Some objects are for Glad Giraffe only but they are not labelled. If they crash the game remove them from the tile set.
    To add a monster or npc to the map:
    • Click an object layer
    • Press 'R' to make a rectangle object or click here:
    wheretherecbuttonis.jpeg
    • Draw an 8x8 or 1 tile wide and 1 tile high rectangle
    • Add 'monster' property like below :
    howtomonster.jpeg
    To add an Object in a map :
    • Click an object layer.
    • Press 'T' to make the object from a tile or click here:
    wheretheobjbuttonis.jpeg
    • Select the object. Click where you want it on the map

I will complete this post later. I thought this might be useful by itself.

Attached Files:

18. Monijir

Improved documentation and custom tiles

19. Monijir

Critical bug fixes and custom tile set corrections

20. Monijir